Author Topic: got some new boots !  (Read 16324 times)

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
Re: got some new boots !
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2011, 10:15:56 pm »
Those navy chukka boots look great! but unfortunately, no 11 1/2 or 12 wide sizes. Guess I'll stick with my "Wal Mart Brogans" for now....

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2011, 12:36:58 am »
Luckily the 9.5 fit me pretty well but for some reason rub a blister on inside of right heel.  Cannot feel anything out of place with the shoe.  Spent many years in the infantry rarely ever got a blister after basic training back in 68 even with doing 12 - 25 mile road marches.  Usually wore the old dress socks next to feet and the wool socks over them.  Think my Drill Sergeant recommended that.  Something about the socks rubbing on socks and not the foot,  Seemed to work even if only Voo Doo.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2011, 10:59:45 am »
I am going to El Paso this weekend.  Fly out 09:30 friday.  Will stop at CA Boots and see what fits my foot.  The old metal shoe sizer at Sportsman's Wearhouse says between 10 and 10.5 B.  Most boots are way to wide, offer no support and end up with really sore feet at the end of the day.  Hope I am a standard size so I dont have to pay extra for custom fitted.

Will let you know how things turn out.  In the mean time 9.5 regular navy boon dockers work ok for a close to period shoe.  Get them for $50 out of a chicago army navy store (on-line)

Made the trip to El Paso, forgot to update.  CABoots had me try on a pair of 8.5 D or E.  They actually fit.  These were thier stock boots so $190 vs $400.  Feel good look good, will need to put on a rubber heel, come with hard leather I think.  Would put on taps but have tile floors in the house - mama would kill me.
Did have foot measured and my Nacona's (I was married in) duplicated, only to fit my foot that has expanded almost as much as my waist.
Wonder ween the dress boots will arrive.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2011, 01:39:11 pm »
Those navy chukka boots look great! but unfortunately, no 11 1/2 or 12 wide sizes. Guess I'll stick with my "Wal Mart Brogans" for now....
You might try Eureka Arsenal.  Jim Kanne has a lot of used prison issue shoes.  You'd have to dye them black, but that's not a problem.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Online Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2011, 05:55:54 pm »
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EY3JAA/ref=asc_df_B000EY3JAA1679533/?tag=nextagus0052547-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B000EY3JAA&linkCode=asn

THis is a VERY comfortable shoe I've found for under $50 at JC Penny,  with a square toe it looks great under a set of Leggings.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Online Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2011, 10:44:05 pm »
http://www.rockport.com/day2night-desert-boot-mens/d2ndesertboot,default,pd.html?dwvar_d2ndesertboot_color=d2ndesertboot_pineconedarkbrown&start=24&cgid=mens-footwear-categories-all-mens-shoes&dyncatsale=null&dyncatnew=null

These look interesting as well, if I can find them.

Those look good, but for that price, you can get a pair of 1892 boots made!

Was walking through Target the other day with my wife, and right there on the end of the sack in the shoe department...so-called "desert boots" that are nearly a dead ringer for civil war brogans, but with a rubber sole. The toe is a bit round, not as square as brogans, and they're suede(sp?), but I expect if you treated them with some leather conditioner and didn't brush them, they'd look a lot like rough out leather. BUT, they're in the womens department, so they're waaaaayyyy too small for me.

Anyway, now I know they're calling this style boot a "desert boot" instead of a chukka, so that's  what I'll search.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2011, 04:38:02 pm »
Actually the dress boots arrived the day after my last post.  Look and feel great, but way to expensive to wear cleaning the barn

CABoots does a great job but cost a bit.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII