Author Topic: Blown Ruger  (Read 7818 times)

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Blown Ruger
« on: June 01, 2011, 12:31:33 AM »
This is why even seasoned reloaders can make a mistake and one need ALWAYS pay attention.  ;)

http://www.glockpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13714

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Blown Ruger
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 04:46:40 AM »
Nasty!! Looks like another good reason ta be shootin the Holy Black. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 08:32:15 AM »
Looks like a better reason to pay attention to detail.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:36:50 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 09:01:27 AM »
Ah...sent it back to Ruger  :)
they can buff that out  ;D

Glad he was not hurt
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 03:38:39 PM »
Looks like a better reason to pay attention to detail.

Scouts Out!

That's why when I am reloading I don't watch TV, talk on the phone, talk with family or listen to the radio. It's better to concentrate on what I'm doing than to take a chance at dropping a double load.

Accidents happen regardless of powder used. That's why they call them accidents.  ;D
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 05:33:38 PM »
Did you firmly crimp the bullet in the case?  Was there any hint of a hangfire (delayed ignition)?
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 07:29:59 PM »
Did you firmly crimp the bullet in the case?  Was there any hint of a hangfire (delayed ignition)?

Whom are you asking?  ??? I merely linked the site. Not my gun nor do I know the man.  ;)

Offline mestiza letty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 08:05:24 PM »

Whom are you asking?  ??? I merely linked the site. Not my gun nor do I know the man.  ;)
Glad to have known you were not involved in this... We appreciated the the link and the "heads up".....some concerned
folks miss understood. :-\
Don't wear out yer shirt collar lookin' fer the hindsight
~Eddie Adamek~ Trick Roper
NRA, SCORRS, RATS #518

Offline Jack N Water

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 07:20:01 PM »
I try very hard to not let that happen and it's the main reason I WILL NOT load for anyone except my wife and myself. I will not shoot any other folks reloads either. If I take ammo in on a trade I pull the projectiles and recycle the parts and burn the powder.  ;)
SASS 86688
GAF 756
RATS 604
NRA

Offline Dog River Dan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 03:02:42 PM »
I try very hard to not let that happen and it's the main reason I WILL NOT load for anyone except my wife and myself. I will not shoot any other folks reloads either. If I take ammo in on a trade I pull the projectiles and recycle the parts and burn the powder.  ;)

I'm in full agreement with you on this one for sure!
It also pays to double check each step. No distractions, if you cannot make that happen, reload another day.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 08:42:28 AM »
OUCH!!! Doin' that has to hurt the pride and pocketbook! Has is written in every book, manuel, etc. on relaoding, paying attention and have NO distractions is a must when reloading. I've known and/or heard of those who can't reload without a bottle or beer at hand, talk on telephone, watch TV, have a dvd movie going, etc. while reloading. Have seen first hand or heard of problems they've had. On the issue of charging with powder, when I do so, I use a case tray holding fifty rds. I always 'eye ball' all the powder charged cases to make sure all are charged and none are double charged. I will intentionally double charge one case (if it will hold it) to see what a double charged case looks like to compare it with a single charged one. With some powders it can be very deceiving. Just have to recharge the case with single charge. Of course I use a single stage RCBS press and dump powder using a hand turned RCBS powder measure, those that use the multi/progressive rigs will have to figure out their own safety checks. Thanks  to the guy who had the humility and courage to post his mistake so others can be aware and carefull.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Claypipe

• Mighty Cautious
  • Very Active Citizen
  • They're not dead, till there's one in the head.
    • Medieval Gonne Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 10:42:53 AM »
I will not shoot any other folks reloads either.

I'll second that! I learned my lesson the hard way. Back in the early 1980's. My pard drove me out to a IHMSA match, that was a good piece from home. Well, when we got there, I discovered that I didn't have my ammo for my OMSBH. I had left it on the couch in my other bag. My partner tosses me a box of his reloads, I'm thinking he has saved the day. On the third shot, the complete ejector assembly comes off the barrel, flies up in the air, landing straight down on the top of my head. I was lucky, cause when I sent it to Ruger for repair, not only did they fix the ejector, they even updated the internals, as well. Sent the gun back, complete with the old internals in a bag, free of charge.

CP
Vergiss nie heimat wo deine Wiege stand Du findest in der fremde kein zweites heimalland

Never forget home where your cradle was. You won't find a second home country in a foreign country

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 11:16:07 AM »

Don't burn the powder, sprinkle on on your roses, it's good stuff for that. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline temmi

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 04:25:52 PM »
This is why I weigh every charge and then put the powder in the case.

Weigh and drop then seat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com