Author Topic: Repost from Cosies corner: "What did those Chuckwagons carry..."  (Read 3475 times)

Offline Fence Fighter

• "When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." G. Carlin
  • Citizen
  • Navy Colts for fun and '58 Remmies for fightin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Repost from Cosies corner: "What did those Chuckwagons carry..."
« on: February 21, 2011, 05:23:49 PM »
  Hi,
       I consider you knowledgeable folks and thoughtful also, so I knew who I wanted to ask for help. I'm startin' to take this food shortage &  price inflation rumor more serious, and would like to lay in provisions 19th century style. What I'm wondering is, what sort of provisions would cattle drives, remote ranches and line shacks commonly lay in for extended provisioning?
       My wife says things like flour, rice & cornmeal would most like go rancid or "buggy" before we could use up 50-100# bags, I'm considerin'. Any solution ideas for storage, type of provisions & quantities?
                                                        ???Thanks, 
                                                                 Fence
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Repost from Cosies corner: "What did those Chuckwagons carry..."
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 05:54:33 PM »
  Hi,
       I consider you knowledgeable folks and thoughtful also, so I knew who I wanted to ask for help. I'm startin' to take this food shortage &  price inflation rumor more serious, and would like to lay in provisions 19th century style. What I'm wondering is, what sort of provisions would cattle drives, remote ranches and line shacks commonly lay in for extended provisioning?
       My wife says things like flour, rice & cornmeal would most like go rancid or "buggy" before we could use up 50-100# bags, I'm considerin'. Any solution ideas for storage, type of provisions & quantities?
                                                        ???Thanks, 
                                                                 Fence

Well to be truthful you really have two different questions here.  The provisions on a chuckwagon with what it could carry wouldn't last long enough to spoil most times.  As for bugs, sift them out.  They carried most of those items in barrels and sacks.  For long term storage in todays world there are lots of ways but one of those devices that seals things up in a vacuum pacage would be hard to beat.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 06:57:26 PM »
I agree with Del.  For information on long term storage of food there are many "survivalist" type forums.  I would suggest subscribing to "Backwoods Magazine".

You can purchase most grains in 5 gallon buckets that are topped off with nitrogen which helps keep them bug free and from spoiling.  Honey won't spoil and canned goods if rotated on a scheduled basis will keep for a long time.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Advertising

Offline Terry Lane

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 12:39:20 AM »
Howdy FF. I'd recommend Frugal's Forums for a vast quantity of information on preservation, storage and preparation of all foods. There are many others, but Frugal's is one of the best.

Howdy Will old friend. Come one now, I was a "survivalist "from the time I was 18 years old until about 5 years ago. Now I'm a "prepper"... same thing, just a kinder and gentler name. You gotta keep up on this sorta thing.  ;)

Take care. 
Terry Lane, Nebraska Territory,
Nebraska's Official Hon. Col. Wm. F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody
Grand Army of the Frontier Department of the Missouri Chief of Scouts

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com