Author Topic: I've noticed that "environ-friendly" water-base sealer smells like white glue...  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Tallbald

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sealing my leather "shelves" for my horse, I noticed the topcoat smells a lot like the white glue I used in grade school. You know. The water cleanup stuff? Makes me go "hmmmm". Don.

Offline bedbugbilly

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tallbald - LOL . . . I have a feeling that you aren't too far off on that one.   ;D  Years ago in a "crafts class" that I took in college as part of my Industrial Ed. degree, they had us "decoupage" (sp.?) a photo/picture on a board.  I did a photo of Chief Joseph on a distressed board only I didn't use the expensive "decoupage solution" that the instructor wanted us to use.  (He was a horse's petute).  Instead, I did it at home and basically used Elmer's white glue thinly diluted with water, burshed it on and it dries clear.  He couldn't tell the difference and I won a bet (for a cup of coffee - we were poor students then) with a classmate that he couldn't tell the difference.  What I used was a heck of a lot cheaper than his fancy bottled product.  Years later, when I had my custom cabinet/millwork shop, I sprayed a lot of gallons of lacquer in a year.  The paint mfg. came out with a "water based lacquer" to meet enviromental standards and gave me a couple of gallons to try - it was a mess.  It was like trying to spray diluted white glue - it gobbed up on the cabinets and screwed up the spray gun - the company went back to the drawing board.  It also smelled like what you are talking about.  I'm no chemist, but I'm sura lot of these "new" enviromental friendly products are a "re-packaging" of a basic product with maybe a few minor changes to it.  In my own case, I've been using the Eco Flo dye that Tandy sells and have had good luck with it - but - I'm learning what a lot of fellas already know from experience - the old dyes like vinegaroon, rusty water and other treatments like neatsfoot oil, olive oil, paste wax, etc. are still "eco friendly" (if I'm wrong on this, please correct me) - they worked for years and in the long run, although it takes some time to make vinegaroon, etc., they are much more economical.   :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com