Author Topic: Uniform Question  (Read 3759 times)

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Uniform Question
« on: January 23, 2011, 07:12:05 PM »
On the GAF site there is uniform review of the 1898 uniform with blue infantry facing on collar, shoulder and cuffs.  I had thought the infantry branch color had changed to white from 1885 until 1902?

In the 1899 uniform the collar is Khaki and the staps on the shoulder are white.

Don't get me wrong I bleed infantry blue, but what is proper for the 1898 uniform.  I deliberately got the 1884 uniform so I could wear my actual infantry blue captains bars.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Uniform Question
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 12:31:14 PM »
Using Emerson's Ency.of U S Army Insignia and Uniforms as a source,Infantry-1898-99 Light Blue 1899-1902-White.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:58:50 PM »

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 08:36:46 PM »
I Actually read the 1898 uniform reg on the GAF web site after I submitted the question.  Shoulder boards for the blue uniform where backed with white and sure enough the branch facings on the khaki was the blue.  This could cause a persons head to hurt... Blue here white there.  My kids would text wtf

I like the looks of the 1884 blouse more so am glad I went with it.  The blue on the pocket flaps is a bit much.  As much as I hate to admit it the Cav Yellow looks better against the tan.

Hope that is not too far out of line, if so pull this response.

Thanks for the replies
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 04:52:51 PM »
Look at this one. 
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Captain Barrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 09:54:03 PM »
Captain Blodgett,

I had the pleasure of working with the staff at TQM to get the khaki uniform into production...

The 1898 khaki indeed use Sky Blue, wjile the 1899 khakis revert to white...

My uniforms are seen below...
Your humble, obedient servant,

David P. Barrett
Captain, 1st U.S. Infantry Regiment
Regimental Adjutant

"...For I am as constant as the Northern Star..."

GAF #2

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 01:26:12 AM »
do you folks use a hook and eye fastener on the stand up collar to keep it closed?  I ask because I picked up my 84 canvas fatigue infantry uniform today and there is nothing to fasten the collar closed, my old fat neck causes a gap.  Having not lived in 1884 I do not know what is correct.  Like the uniform otherwise.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Captain Barrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 05:52:24 AM »
Captain,

Yes, use the hook and eye fasteners. TQS takes a some small "liberties" for comfort with 21st Century folks wearing late 19th Century uniforms...
Your humble, obedient servant,

David P. Barrett
Captain, 1st U.S. Infantry Regiment
Regimental Adjutant

"...For I am as constant as the Northern Star..."

GAF #2

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 10:32:51 AM »
Remember as well, the 1884 was a fatigue uniform, basicily a plain canvas oversuit for stable cleaning.   But the troops liked it so much, especialy in hotter climates, that it was quickly modified for field use.  Enlisted simply sewed on some stripes, but officers had much more elaborate modification done, such as a stand up collar and branch cuffs.

But none of this was by regulation, so the uniforms vary somewhat from unit to unit,  or even different individuals.  Photos show officer 1884s with full stand up collars, short stand ups with unhooked rounded down fronts, or unmodified fold over collars. Gold buttons,  black buttons, and mixtures of the two.  Most have strap rank, some have added sewn on epulats.  All are acceptable.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 03:18:49 PM »
Remember as well, the 1884 was a fatigue uniform, basicily a plain canvas oversuit for stable cleaning.   But the troops liked it so much, especialy in hotter climates, that it was quickly modified for field use.  Enlisted simply sewed on some stripes, but officers had much more elaborate modification done, such as a stand up collar and branch cuffs.

But none of this was by regulation, so the uniforms vary somewhat from unit to unit,  or even different individuals.  Photos show officer 1884s with full stand up collars, short stand ups with unhooked rounded down fronts, or unmodified fold over collars. Gold buttons,  black buttons, and mixtures of the two.  Most have strap rank, some have added sewn on epulats.  All are acceptable.

This reminds me, in a lot of ways, of the Navy's concept of "organizational clothing."  Those are garments designed for a single purpose (usually involving lots of dirt or hazardous materials/conditions).  During most of my career the flight suit was organizational clothing and not permitted for wear off base.  That did change at the end of my time and it's now permitted, if not exactly encouraged.  This is different from the Air Force where the flight suit is a uniform.

Did the Army during this time period have "organizational clothing" or something like it?

SQQ

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 07:47:35 PM »
Very much so.   THe navy issued us dark blue coveralls for use in the engineroom and other dirty work.   But they were so much better than the usual dungarees that in a year or two we had them "Fancied up" with collar rank, name tags, warfare insignia et al.  The uniform board eventually threw up their hands and made them the official shipboard uniform.

THe 1884 came about in pretty much the exact same way.  It was meant for the purpose of post dirty work. Not to be worn in public/off post.  That changed about 5 minutes after the troops got ahold of them.

I've often considered the 84 to be the first "modern" utility uniform.  Put it next to the current Combat Utility Uniform, and you'll be amazed at the similarity of cut, style and fit.  I have some of the old Edison film of the 1st USV in 1884s, loading stores at Tampa.  Replace the campaign hats with "Boonie" hats, and they'd look like modern troops.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com