Author Topic: Cap Gun Primer: Correct Cone Length  (Read 49368 times)

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cap Gun Primer: Correct Cone Length
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2011, 07:22:40 PM »
...Also prevents hammer blow back. This info is from an old "Gun Digest". I've used them on rifles but can't say I found them better or worse then any other good quality nipple.
Kent,
That would make sense because the back blast could also vent out the cross drilled holes instead of just straight back towards the hammer face.  Since the Hot Shot tubes  have larger flash holes there is going to be significant back blast coming back through that cone.

But, It's like I said before, you can get away with a lot on a single shot rifle.  With a single shot you don't have to worry about blasting your caps into the action, the hammer channel or even shredding the caps because there are no quick follow up shots.  From the experience I have had with muzzleloaders I find a reduced flash hole on the Treso works well and with all of the other advantages it offers such as strength, precision fit to the caps, erosion resistance I would tell anyone to try it for the small price it is for one tube.

For a revolver, Treso tubes are the very first thing I recommend as a purchase to a new shooter on their path to making a reliable percussion revolver.  There are many other things to do to a revolver on that path but this is the first one that involves a purchase.

~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
NRA, TSRA, MCA, MCAA, ANA, MOAA, ASME, SAME, BMES, STS

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2011, 09:09:44 PM »
This is getting really complicated, wonder how the heck the boys in USA or CSA managed without engineering degrees.

But then only their lives depended on the cap making the pistol go boom, not like the pressure to shoot a 15 second clean stage.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2011, 10:01:07 PM »
This is getting really complicated, wonder how the heck the boys in USA or CSA managed without engineering degrees.

But then only their lives depended on the cap making the pistol go boom, not like the pressure to shoot a 15 second clean stage.

Then we must re-examine your premise.

Actually it isn't hard to explain... There was one source for tubes, and they were expressly designed for the pistols they were putting them on.  No question of which materials, which hole size, how much clearance, etc.  There were some very intelligent and clever I might add engineers, mechanics and machinists who had it all figured out and delivered a pistol ready to shoot.

In addition there really wasn't any question as to which caps to use...No arguing over size 10, size 11 or 1075s.

In fact there was little to ferret out as to what the correct loads should be...

They weren't trying to make a bunch of Italian clones run.

Pretty clever bunch if you ask me...

~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
NRA, TSRA, MCA, MCAA, ANA, MOAA, ASME, SAME, BMES, STS

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 05:52:25 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com