Author Topic: Derringer as a backup for concealed carry?  (Read 43627 times)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Derringer as a backup for concealed carry?
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2011, 02:12:29 PM »
The PPK/S was built to allow the weapon into the US for sale, after the 1968 Gun Control Act.

They're the amalgamation of a PPK slide and a PP frame - as such - they'll fit the same holsters, but they are unique to the American production.

They were also produced by Manhurin and are so-marked at the butt.

S&W produced them, as well - but later, and after many different mergers and the like.

Dimensionaly - the only difference is slide width - with the .22 slide being narrower than the centerfire, reducing slide mass for the lighter round.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline ZVP

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2011, 05:42:50 PM »
 The outside lubricated .41 Rimfire was notiorious for being a "dirty" bullet! However I think the modern lead .38 Spl chambering in the remington O/U design is FAR deadlier than lint! The soft lead bullet mushrooms to whatever limit possible and far outpenetrates the mighty .41! Velocities with the closed O/U barrel enhances the velocity of the round over the open cylinder gap of a Chief Special and gives the .38 Spl just a little more oomph when fired from the Derringer.
 No the limited 2 shot capibility is NOT optimal but like they say, better to have 2 than have it at home or in the trunk...
 The Derringer weighs barely a pound and it's size and shape make it handy to pocket.
  Having never fired the .41 caliber in this frame design, I don't exactly know how the recoil was. I do know that the .38Spl is a kicker and with 158 gr bullets, it matches it's bark! I have tried full wadcutter rounds and even though they are only 148 gr,the additional bullet drag seems to kick harder. I can't imagine a .45 Long Colt in such a small light gun!
 I think that the origonal .41 must have been a real pussycat because of the Black Powder Propellant and the light weight bullet. Velocity was likely retained well for the short ranges that the arm was intended. Todays.38 is a lot higher velocity and heavier so it easilly surpases the origonal chambering.
 CAS-Wise, the .38Spl will definately ring the steel! Style-Wise,  the O/U is class. Points-Wise, take the 3 misses, and look cool!
 People weren't considered unarmed back in the old days with an O/U Derringer and moreso today!
 ZVP

Offline ChuteTheMall

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2011, 07:59:20 AM »
  The Derringer weighs barely a pound and it's size and shape make it handy to pocket.

About twice as much as a Ruger LCP, a Keltec P3AT, a Keltec P32, or a NAA Mini-Magnum.

All of which offer far more than 2 chances.

The derringer is obsolete; as are many of the toys we enjoy. :D

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 03:46:13 PM »

Offline Three Fingered Fred

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2011, 10:26:43 AM »
Primary--Glock 27-----10 rounds of 40 SW******************Back up--Seecamp 380----7 rounds.

I want more than 2 shots in a back up.  

I am noboby, nobody's perfect--therefore I am perfect.

Offline Wild Horse Hans

• Active citizen
  • I hate Pinkertons
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2011, 11:09:02 AM »
My feelings are that I carry concealed for protection not style points. I could care less if the guy trying to hurt me thinks my gun is cool. I carry a Kimber Crimson Pro Carry in .45 ACP with an 8 round single stack mag. I never saw the need for a backup nor large cap mags. I figure if I need more than 8 shots, I never should have been where I was in the first place. If someone wants to carry a backup, more power to them. I just prefer the KISS rule.
There is no better view of the world than from the back of a wild horse
BOSS #205

Offline ZVP

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2011, 08:06:40 PM »
 There is 2 topics going on within this one thread!
 #1 Real life carrying a Derringer.
 #2 CAS Carrying a Derringer.
 Both have had some very intersting points and both have some strong opposers/defenders.
 It's fun to follow!
 ZVP

Offline Wild Horse Hans

• Active citizen
  • I hate Pinkertons
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2011, 08:24:44 AM »
Well on the real carry side there is also the legal system to be thought off. If you are carrying two guns it could easily be argued that you were looking for trouble. Just as using reloads rather than factory ammo. There was a case where it was argued that the shooter had reloaded ammo and as such was planning to kill someone as the ammo was crafted rather than purchased. Same could be said about a backup. Why would you need two guns unless you planned ahead for a fight. That is just how things work. As CCW people we need to be sure we handle ourselves in a law abiding and proper manor and not give the antis a reason to show us in a bad light. They will try anyway, but we should not give them ammo to use against us.
There is no better view of the world than from the back of a wild horse
BOSS #205

Offline MedicineMan

• Active citizen
  • SASS # 98990
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2013, 08:30:40 AM »
I regularly carry a Davis .32 derringer in addition to my .45ACP.
Sometimes the little .32 is the best choice for when/where i am. Better to have "something" than nothing at all.

And just for the record..... IF there is to be a "fight" for the protection of me or mine, I'm not worried about what it "MAY" look like for me to have a second weapon.
Only that those I care about come out the other side unharmed.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2013, 11:18:18 AM »
If we are talking about a "period correct" derringer versus modern clones (NOT strictly speaking, "copies"), let me point out that the original Remington O/U Double-D had one dangerous flaw: The ONLY "safety" was the half-cock notch. There was no other provision for keeping the firing pin off both cartridges. The oscillating firing pin was either pointed at the top round or the bottom. If the gun was dropped and hit the hammer spur, the chances were EXTREMELY HIGH that the "dog" would break off, and the gun discharge. This actually happened to a deputy sheriff down in Arizona. The resulting wound required amputation of his leg!  :o  I am co-author of the book "Dr. William H. Elliot's Remington Double Derringer", especially the area of the mechanical aspects of this gun, so I reckon I know something about them. I have never figured out how I could safely carried one with both barrels loaded! (Perhaps you could rig a leather piece on a holster that could be interposed between the hammer and the frame...as a holster maker, I could do that. But that's about the only way. I certainly wouldn't carry one the way Paladin did.) Most of the modern versions of the derringers, although they might resemble the original, have not only a half-cock notch, but a crossbolt safety that interposes itself between the hammer and the firing pins.
Had I lived in the 1880's and wanted a "belly gun", I would have opted for one of the S&W revolvers in .22 or .32rf, carried with one empty chamber. At the very least, I would have gone for a Sharps 4-barrel, with the hammer down on an empty chamber. Yes, it would have given me only three shots, but that would have been better than nothing.
For modern usage, I would still recommend one of the .380 semi-auto pistols.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline St8LineLeatherSmith

• The Poly Grip Kids alter ego AKA Pappy Polygrip since I ain't a kid no more
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • grand master of striking one tool against another
    • The St8 Line Leathersmith
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2014, 10:14:17 PM »
my cc is a taurus pt-92 with 2 spare mags. that's 45 rounds downrange with a quickness.
 if my life is dependant on the use of deadly force i want to have more than two shots.     
No matter where ya go there ya are
Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)
Brother Artisan Master At Large Of TEH BROTHERHOOD OF TEH SUBLYME  & HOLEY ORDER OF TEH SOOT, (SHOTS)
The St8 Line Leathersmith
ChattownLeatherheads

Offline Jayhawker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2014, 08:29:01 PM »
     I would hate to try to hang on to that little critter !   :-(  With 100% .357 Mag ammo .

Been carrying and shooting one now for over a year...not as bad as you might think...says the guy who loads his with +Ps... ;D
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates...it more like a jalapeno...what you do today might burn your butt tomorrow...

Offline Ford D. River

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2014, 05:55:26 PM »
I am a little late on this, but if you MUST have a little tiny gun, then the Cobra in 32 ACP will work.   It is the smallest with any power.   It is still a good threat, as no one wants to be shot.

I consider the KelTec 32 ACP at 6 ounces the new derringer.  A lot safer and quicker into action than a 2 shot with a safety.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com