Author Topic: GAF as a side match?  (Read 15376 times)

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: GAF as a side match?
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 08:35:09 AM »
Curley. That looked awesome. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 06:26:37 AM »
Thing are looking good to try a GAF stage/side match.at the Alter Valley Pitoleros SASS  jmatch the 5th Sunday of Jan.  west of Tucson AZ.   I just have to e-mail the MD the stage layout and basic guidlines.  Probably won' thave any "rifle caiber" guns to use (my 2 trys at trapdoors on gunbroker lost.  My wife is greatly relieved  :( ).  this stage willl probably be more like the stages at ealy musters as it is a SASS club and the shooter have mostly SASS guns. I hope to incorperate the Milspec rifles in the future.  If all goes well there is a chance to get a GAF sidematch on the schedule for "Bordertown" 2012,the state SASS championship.possibly even a state muster on the first or last day.
What makes a stage a GAF stage? to me it is longer ranges for targets and some reloading on the clock.  possibly shooting from a rest for some and a  bit of movement. I think it best not to use the must-hit or knockdown targets right now.  not sure the club has the targets for it andI want to keep the stages short.
wish me luck.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 02:51:39 AM »
Don't know if anyone is interested in this or cares,  but here is a couple of potential GAF based stages I am trying bring to the Alter Valley 5th Sun day shoot coming up.   Just my lowly  attempt to bring a taste of the great GAF musters to the SASS world that is Arizona.

What ya think?
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:19:00 AM »

Online Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 06:36:39 AM »
Good morning, Bow View!

They look like a good place to start.  The only recommendation I would make is maybe move the targets a little farther out, with the far ones being forty to fifty yards out.  (Make them slow down and aim!)  One of the most difficult things to break CAS shooters of is having to shoot targets in a certain order, as opposed to shooting them until they are all "dead", as we do.  (Admittedly, it's an easier transition if you have knockdown targets, as shooters can see when they're "dead".)  As an example, at our Muster last July, shooters started engaging targets way farther out than we had intended because they could shoot at them from a rested position of cover, as opposed to closer up but a worse shooting position.  Excellent tactics!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 01:40:29 PM »
I know that farther out would be good  but the ranges I want to try these at don't have very deep shooting bays and 25 yards is about double what these folks are used to shooting the rifle at.  I do want to have the targets spread out and not right next to each other like they usually are. That should slow things down some.

My wole idea is NOT a full GAF match but a chace to give the SASS world a chace to shoot a GAF type stage or 3 without scareing them away. 

I appreitiate your help.
thanks
I am starting to count the days till July.
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Online Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 02:02:38 PM »
Cool! Do what your range will allow, and win them over by stages! (No pun intended!)
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 02:26:59 PM »
 :D ;D :D ;D

that is my plan.  I encourage other clubs to do liikewise.  I am not out to change the SASS world,  just let em know there are other options out there .
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 09:33:27 AM »
Keep it up. There is plenty of room for both games in town.
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 08:13:04 PM »
Everything is a go For a GAF side match stage at the Alter Vally SASS shoot tomorrow west of Tucson . 
Planning on doing it before the main match. (I'm going to try to leave home by 5 to be there by 7:30).  I think it's closer to you guys in Phoenix. Sure would be great to have a good GAF turnout.  Most will probably be shooting as "Scouts" (me included) with our regular CAS rifles and 1 pistol.  Anyone with a milspec rifle to show off would be great. 
Round count is less than 15 rile and less than 10 pistol for this one stage.  The rest of the match is regular SASS of 6 stages.

Wish us luck
Bvt Maj. Bow View Haymaker
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 10:52:30 PM »
Maybe another time.  I have figured out a load that should be GAF / SASS legal.  Do not know for sure as I do not have a chrony.  May take it to the next ACSA match and run it over the club chrony.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 06:16:33 AM »
sounds like your making progress.    Do you plan to shoot Bordertown?   interested in going to the DOM muster or the grand?
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2012, 09:34:19 AM »
Will not make any of the musters this year.  Am uncertain as to Border Town.  May retire in Dec, not sure I want to burn vacation days prior to retirement. 

As for next year - If retired to paraphrase Paladin - Have 5th Wheel, will travel
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2012, 04:30:39 AM »
Bow View:

Is your GAF side match this coming weekend?

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Long Juan

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Tarryhollow Gang
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2012, 05:17:39 PM »
Just as a general reply to this thread, the Plum Creek Shooting Society, where I shoot regularly, allows GAF Single and GAF Repeater as a category.  We shoot the Cody/Dixon rifle targets, the same pistol targets as everyone else and reload our pistols on the clock.  Our posse usually consists of about 1/3 GAF, 1/3 C/D and 1/3 cas.  It works well for us and gives those of us interested in the GAF a chance to shoot mostly the way we would at a GAF muster.  It also gives us a chance to model our uniforms, although we could wear those shooting whatever category.  I will note that some refer to our posse as the "slow" posse.  Because of our "military efficiency" in running the posse (everyone helps, stays busy and stays ready), we usually finish shooting BEFORE all of the other posses.  If anyone is ever in the Austin area, we shoot the first Saturday of each month at the Agarita Ranch in Lockhart, about 45 minutes south of Austin. 

CAPT John (Long Juan) Soule
Texican Rangers, Fredericksburg, Texas
Plum Creek Shooting Society, Lockhart, Texas
SASS #84671 NCOWS #3322 STORM #368
GAF #737,  Department of Missouri, Division of Texas
www.tarryhollowgang.com

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2012, 10:54:36 AM »
First, I apologize for the late report. I want to thank the gracious Match directors at Alter Valley pistoleers for setting up targets for me and letting me give the GAF side match a try. I gave my little intro about the GAF and what makes a GAF muster different from a Cowboy match. Then demonstrated shooting the stage with my lever gun (no trapdoor yet) and pistol reloading a few rounds in each on the clock. That was it. The 3 polite Cowboys listening and watching thanked me and went back too the crowd mingling before the main match. I was pleased with the set up but very disappointed in the interest or lack of. If there were any other GAF members about, I didn't meet them. I did give out some info after the match. might try something again at there next 5th Sunday match. this club has an OPEN category that you can shoot under a second alias just for fun,I Might see if I can shoot a second time through GAF style.
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2013, 05:40:27 AM »
Reply #83 on: Today at 05:31:23 am »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've decided to kick this dead horse again.
I think the Alter Valley club out of Tucson is willing to let me shoot their
"open" category GAF style.  At one of the smaller matches. (they are pretty big this time of year.)
I think I would shoot half the rifle targets with the single shot and do a full pistol reload on a couple of stages,shoot all rifle targets making up misses with my "scout" rifle and full pistol reload on a couple, and maybe even use my expansion era 1917 Enfield and 1911 on a couple.  a taste of everything.  I don't want to take a lot of extra time per stage but let the others get a chance to see whats different about GAF.  Then maybe get more interest down the road. 
I know some of you out there have been able to shoot GAF with you cowboy clubs.  How have you integrated it into the monthly matches?  targets shot? reloads? shotgun targets?  misses or keep shooting?

If there is anyone around southern Arizona interested in trying this Whit me, let me know.  I might try at the march 17th match at Alter Valley.

regards.
Bvt. Maj Bow View Haymaker (or Haymajor or Hey Major)
GAF Signal Officer, Dept or the Platte Chiief of Scouts.
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2013, 05:46:43 AM »
On another note,  I am thinking of asking the "Bordertown" directors about doing a GAF muster side match at the AZ state SASS shoot the end of October. the biggest constraint will be time.  their side match day was pretty full last year.  If a is open on side match day and I'm not needed otherwise I will try.  I will be sure to keep you posted. 
Just let me know of anyone is interested in being there.  It would sure help. 

regards.
Bvt. Maj Bow View Haymaker (or Haymajor or Hey Major)
GAF Signal Officer, Dept or the Platte Chiief of Scouts.
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2013, 08:49:26 PM »
Why don't you just trot yourself over to the NM side of the line - be happy to let you shoot GAF style on any of our monthly matches. ;D

www.magdalenatraildrivers.com

BTW, we are hosting the NM State Championship this September.  We have some CW re-enactors who will be camping on site.  Might be able to work something up as a side match.  If seriously interested, I will look into it. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2013, 08:55:30 PM »
I would likie to make it over to your club somtime. About a 5 hour drive if I remember right?  The state match sounds good though.  We just need to get the GAF members in the Department to start making some noise.  finding each other and doing some shooting with our milspec rifles.   
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com