Author Topic: Tintypes of the Regulators  (Read 31632 times)

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tintypes of the Regulators
« on: September 18, 2010, 07:20:30 PM »
I mentioned this else where here, but I have found Sallie Chisum's personal collection of tintypes that include most of the Regulators and her family.  I anyone wants to see some just email me at stepmccarty@q.com.  I'd appreciate it if you'd mention who you'd like to see since there are 80 or so pictures.  I cannot id them all, and some of my identifications are educated guesses since there are none to match some of mine to, but I've done my best.

Dead I

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Tintypes of the Regulators
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 02:56:42 PM »
New picture of Richard Brewer[/i].  Bob Bell has found one too and it's different from mine.  I believe his however and do I, mine.  

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 02:58:05 PM »
Here is the famous and long known picture of Brewer.  I think they are the same fellow. 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:22:50 AM »

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 03:01:07 PM »
They have got to be the same guy.  The tintype that I have is a Morgan photo as are most of them.  I think this picture was taken in March 1878 when the Regulators came to the Chisum ranch.  It was also about a month or less from the fight at Blazer's Mill in which this young man was killed.  Sad.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 03:07:39 PM »
The second on is definatly not a tintype, the picture is not reversed, the first one is not as clear but also does not apear to be a tintype.  My guess is they are prints on paper from a glass plate negative.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 05:15:05 AM »
Keen eye Del! 

Are you judging this by the buttons?  'tis my guess as well.

Panhead

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 09:26:41 AM »
Keen eye Del! 

Panhead

Yep, first thing I look at most times on a picture of a person.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 05:17:36 PM »
The second on is definatly not a tintype, the picture is not reversed, the first one is not as clear but also does not apear to be a tintype.  My guess is they are prints on paper from a glass plate negative.

The first picture is a tintype and I own the original.  The one shown here is exactly as it looks in the tintype so it is reversed.  The bottom, known picture, I copied from Nolan's book on Billy the Kid.  It may have been reversed.  The original of my picrture is very small.  Here's then entire picture with frame:

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 05:33:45 PM »
I guess you can see that the picture of Sallie is indeed a tintype.  So is my picture of Brewer.  They are the same size.  So is my picture of Billy.  They are all similar in size, style and show equal skill of the photographer.  Not all,  however; are marked by his name.  I think he ran out of them and used blank frames. Here's Sallie alongside side a coin.   

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 05:39:42 PM »
Keen eye Del! 

Panhead

Buttons and belts in those days went either way. 

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 05:45:12 PM »
Here is another Regulator: He is Henry Brown, the future Sheriff of Caldwel, Kansas and bank robber.  He was one of the most aggressive of the Regulators.  Match him with the picture of he and Waite; same fella.  

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 06:20:54 PM »

Nope, they did not, they went on the same way they do today as far as buttons, men did not wear belts on their pants.  I'm guessing those pictures are not on copper plate, but rather on paper. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 07:18:44 PM »
Most buttonholes (not all) were horizontal & not vertical in the 19th century.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 07:51:04 PM »
Most buttonholes (not all) were horizontal & not vertical in the 19th century.

Yeah but men had the holes on the left side of the placket, women on the right, that goes much further back. 

I smell something fishy about these pictures.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 11:29:16 PM »
That is not what "experts" tell me.  I'll post a picture of Sheriff Brady. He is wearing a belt to hold his pants up and it has been turned to one side just as cowboys do today.  As anyone who who had ridden a horse with a big belt buckle knows.we slide it to one side.  So did Sheriff Brady.  Here is Brady.  The tintype has been reversed, so here you see  him "as in life".  You can see how he was moved his belt buckle to one side.  This image btw: has been reversed from the tintype. He parted his hair on the left.  Most men did in those days. I think that belt is holding up his trousers, just as we use belts today.  Is it a pistol holster belt buckle?  I don't think so, because if it was so  we'd see the pistol.

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 11:50:20 PM »
Nope, they did not, they went on the same way they do today as far as buttons, men did not wear belts on their pants.  I'm guessing those pictures are not on copper plate, but rather on paper. ;)
Tintype plates were not copper.  They were mostly zink. the pictures that I have are, except for a few, all tintypes.  And as such are all reversed.  The CDV's that Sallie Chisum collected were of her family and inlaws taken in Europe during the trip she and her familly took in 1886 to visit her inlaws.   

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 12:08:31 AM »
Yeah but men had the holes on the left side of the placket, women on the right, that goes much further back. 

I smell something fishy about these pictures.

Men had their bottons as they did so that they could be dressed.  Servants would button their clothing for them.  As to belt buckels they did go either way.  I think that in the US when men wore homespun clothing that button did go either way.  I was told this by an expert in costumes.  But I am not expert.

As for my  pictures, no fish at all.  I found Sallie Chisum's collection and as such I have tintypes of: Sally, she and her husband, her brother's and sister, her father and mother, her famous uncle and his cousins, and her children.  I am many pictures of these people.  I also have some of her friends, including Lily  Casey, the Coe wives, Alex McSween who was her uncle's attorney.  I also have most of the Regulators.

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 03:24:12 PM »
Several people have offered comments that they do not believe that the picture's I'm posting aren't Ferrotypes (tintypes).  Here are a few that show that the image is indeed on a metal plate. All are very small and reproduce here about four times actual size.  Here is my tintype of Alexander McSween.  This was collected by Sallie Chisum.  He was her famous uncle's lawyer.

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 03:36:36 PM »
Sallie Chisum collected pictures of her friends.  This women is Eliza Jane Hester.  She was Buck Powell's wife and in Nolan's book you'll see a picture of she and her husband.  She is holding an infant.  She had about ten.  You can see, I think, that this is indeed a tintype.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 07:12:15 PM »
So lots of scans of pictures which might be what you say, any real proof?  Also I may have missed it, but how did you come by these
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com