Author Topic: Thought this might be of interest here  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Thought this might be of interest here
« on: August 21, 2010, 09:38:12 AM »
WWII history of sorts, but an interesting story:

http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/08/20/4939264-scottish-piper-who-led-troops-on-d-day-dies

By Christopher Hampson

As U.S. combat troops pull back into Kuwait from Iraq, there’s another war being remembered in Britain this week, as yet one more old hero passes on.

Billy Millin stands out among the many courageous people of World War II for the uniqueness of his contribution to the Allied victory: He played the bagpipes.

Billy Millin, who landed British troops on D-Day, returns to Normandy in 1995. Here, he stands next to Josette Gouellain, who asked him to play her a song back in 1945. Mallin played "The Nut Brown Maiden," in admiration of the little girl's hair and eyes.
Piper Millin was on the personal staff of the legendary commando leader Lord Lovat. Both were Scots -- Lovat hereditary chief of the Clan Fraser -- and like every one I’ve ever met from that land, fiercely proud of their nation.

When the 1st Special Service Brigade hit the Normandy beaches on D-Day, Lovat ordered Millin to strike up his pipes. Millin jumped straight into the knee-deep water in his kilt and belted out “Highland Laddie.” He kept going, even when the man behind him was shot dead.

On the beach, Millin marched up and down the water’s edge under withering enemy fire, urging his comrades forward with his music and boosting their morale.

One soldier said many years later that the skirl of Billy’s pipes had lifted his spirits, reminding him of home and why he was fighting.

Millin stayed with his unit as it advanced through France over the following days, playing whenever he was ordered to by Lovat.

As they reached Pegasus Bridge – another famous chapter in the history of those days – Millin again piped the troops across under sniper fire. “It seemed,” he said, “a very long bridge.”

After the slaughter of the First World War, the British government had barred pipers from leading the charge.

Lovat told Millin: “But that’s the English War Office. You and I are both Scottish, and that doesn’t apply.”

German prisoners said they hadn’t shot Millin because they thought he had gone off his head. They’d confused courage and pride with madness.

Millin died on Tuesday at 87. His gallantry won him the French Croix de guerre, and was memorialized in the movie “The Longest Day.” A statue is being erected in his honor near Sword Beach.

His family described him as a “great Scottish hero.”

Friday was 70 years ago to the day that Prime Minister Winston Churchill paid tribute to other heroes of that war.

In August and September 1940 the Royal Air Force was locked in a fierce battle with the German Luftwaffe in the skies over England. The actions of those young pilots in what Churchill called the Battle of Britain were crucial in preventing the invasion of these islands.

Churchill famously summed up their contribution in a speech to the House of Commons on Aug. 20, 1940: “Never in the field of human conflict,” he said, “was so much owed by so many to so few.”

At the end of that speech, Churchill said something else – less well remembered - that was to have a lasting impact on both the U.K. and the United States – an observation that is felt today as U.S. troops pull out of Iraq.

Churchill introduced the first phase of a growing strategic alliance between Britain and the United States. It would mean, he said, that “These two great organizations of the English-speaking democracies … will have to be somewhat mixed up together in some of their affairs for mutual and general advantage. For my part, looking out upon the future, I do not view that process with any misgivings.”

Seventy years on, British and U.S. troops are still “mixed up together” – and losing their lives – in conflicts like Iraq and Afghanistan.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: Thought this might be of interest here
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 09:49:02 AM »
If I remember right, he played himself in The Longest Day.

Peter Lawford played Lord Lovat, I believe.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 10:36:07 AM »
John, I think you are correct. I recently purchased a BluRay copy of "The Longest Day". I'll have to check it out. I am very proud of my Scottish heritage and I always enjoy hearing the "Pipes".
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:19:39 PM »

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 03:37:06 PM »
Thanks for posting it, Del.
I don't remember a piper. I'll have to watch it again.

If I remember right, he played himself in The Longest Day.

Peter Lawford played Lord Lovat, I believe.

RCJ
According to IMDB, the piper was Leslie de Laspee.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 06:04:01 PM »
I haven't got to watch it yet. It's a good one to watch when I have a good case of "the wide eyes" at night.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 10:56:57 PM »
Thanks for posting it, Del.
I don't remember a piper. I'll have to watch it again.
According to IMDB, the piper was Leslie de Laspee.

Slim

Now you've got me curious, Slim.

I know there was a movie where the actual piper who participated in the battle portrayed themselves. It wasn't "A Bridge Too Far", but I'll check further tomorrow.

Hmmmmmmm
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com