Author Topic: Pocket Breaktops  (Read 66028 times)

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pocket Breaktops
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2010, 09:50:48 PM »
Just an FYI on the .32 S&W ammo. I found that Sheels seems to be stocking this Winchester ammo on a regular basist. It goes for around $30.00 a box of 50. I was there today and they had 2 boxes in the ammo case. Same as last time. So it seems they keep 2 boxes on display regularly. This is good to know. Hope this helps anyone looking for this ammo in the Des Moines Area.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2010, 09:56:22 PM »
Rick B,

Sheels is a nice teaser, but how bout a;

Full Name?

Full Address?

Phone Number?

Web page address?

I know, I'm picky ...*S*
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2010, 05:29:12 PM »
Sheels is a sporting goods chain here in Iowa (not sure where else they are). The one I am familiar with it at Jordan Creek Mall in West Des Moine, Iowa

(515) 727-4065

I don't see a URL for a web site so I'm not sure they have one. It appears that they are in Omaha and I know of a store in Coralville Iowa as well. Just a bit West of Iowa City.

The full name is Sheel's All Sport.

Hope that helps. I figure at 29.00 a box of 50 I could buy it at 25.00 a box via the web but with S&H I would probably come out paying the same or more than what they sell it for at Sheels and I can walk out with it immediately. I like that.
Rick.

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 05:20:13 PM »

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2010, 01:30:47 PM »
Sheels is a sporting goods chain here in Iowa (not sure where else they are). The one I am familiar with it at Jordan Creek Mall in West Des Moine, Iowa

(515) 727-4065

I don't see a URL for a web site so I'm not sure they have one. It appears that they are in Omaha and I know of a store in Coralville Iowa as well. Just a bit West of Iowa City.

The full name is Sheel's All Sport.

Hope that helps. I figure at 29.00 a box of 50 I could buy it at 25.00 a box via the web but with S&H I would probably come out paying the same or more than what they sell it for at Sheels and I can walk out with it immediately. I like that.

Scheels also has a strong presence in Minnesota and South Dakota.  I know they have a big store in Mankato, MN and a another big store in Sioux Falls, SD.  Scheels is one of the nicest sporting good shops I've been to.  They always have a great firearm selection and good prices.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2010, 10:26:50 AM »
Howdy

I picked up this little S&W 38 Single Action 2nd Model a few weeks ago. It is chambered for 38 S&W. I put about half a box of factory ammo though it, but I think I will get some dies and load it for Black Powder. I have a zillion Smiths, but this is my first actual antique. Probably made about 1880.

I've had this little Iver Johnson Safety Hammerless for a long time. It too is chambered for 38 S&W.

And I have a deposit down at one of the local shops for a 32 cal Lemon Squeezer. Have not picked it up yet.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2010, 03:41:05 PM »
Very nice collection going there. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Can't wait to see the lemon squeezer when you pick it up.
Rick.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2010, 06:28:41 PM »
I may have posted on an earlier page I dunno ....

But a member of my club has an FFL and speculated in these pocket pistols .... so he found this Fourth Model (manufactured 1898) and I bought it for around three bills ... much more than alot of you paid, but I figure I was buying my friends experience and selection when I bought this one ...

And as you can see, I sorta like top breaks ... LOL

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2010, 07:44:50 PM »
Just an update on the .32 S&W short ammo. I found a guy at the local gun show who reloads them and sells them for $17.50 a box of 50. I think that is a great price. The seller is Clover leafe reloading. If you want more info I can see if they put more on the boxes of ammo I bought off of them.
When I got to his table he only had 3 boxes left so I bought the last 3 he had. He said he would have more next time.

So between him and Sheels I don't see a problem with keeping my pocket breaktops shooting in the forseeable future. Heck, I may just get the dies and reload .32 S&W myself if it becomes a hard item, but right now I don't see a problem with finding them.
Rick.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2010, 08:27:57 PM »
Another reason,to feel blessed ...

Another SASS member that I met early in my cowboy shooting does reloading to pay for his shooting .... so I just send him my cases and he  reloads them with Goex to the original loads ...and I have kinda taken him for granted ... looks like I have more to be thankfur for this Christmas season than I thought ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2010, 01:01:40 PM »

I only have one breaktop a small H&R in 32 S&W. It shoots great. I paid $150.00 for it a couple of years ago. Sorry for the fuzzy photos. I need to get a holster of some kind made for it. Any suggestions as to type and maker??? Thanks.

Shotgun Steve
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2010, 01:22:27 PM »
I only have one breaktop a small H&R in 32 S&W. It shoots great. I paid $150.00 for it a couple of years ago. Sorry for the fuzzy photos. I need to get a holster of some kind made for it. Any suggestions as to type and maker??? Thanks.

Shotgun Steve

Steve,

Very nice bicycle gun!

For leather:  chat with Ten Wolves Fiveshooter.  He makes fantastic leather for pocket pistols.  I have one of his and get compliments on it all the time.  Here's his profiel:  http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?action=profile;u=2463
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Christopher Carson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2010, 03:13:33 PM »
Just an update on the .32 S&W short ammo. I found a guy at the local gun show who reloads them and sells them for $17.50 a box of 50. I think that is a great price. The seller is Clover leafe reloading. If you want more info I can see if they put more on the boxes of ammo I bought off of them.
When I got to his table he only had 3 boxes left so I bought the last 3 he had. He said he would have more next time.

So between him and Sheels I don't see a problem with keeping my pocket breaktops shooting in the forseeable future. Heck, I may just get the dies and reload .32 S&W myself if it becomes a hard item, but right now I don't see a problem with finding them.

Rick, does the cylinder on your S&W 1½ remain locked or does it spin freely when the hammer is down?

-Chris
- Christopher Carson, SASS #5676L
A Ghostrider... Captain and Chief Engineer of the coaster "Ranger"; previously scout for the Signal Corps, Army of the Potomac, range detective...

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2010, 12:51:40 AM »
Rick, does the cylinder on your S&W 1½ remain locked or does it spin freely when the hammer is down?

-Chris

It locks. It's a pretty solid little gun. The hammer does not protrude through the hole either so it doesn't rest on the bullet primer. It is a safety feature.
Rick.

Offline Christopher Carson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2010, 06:44:49 AM »
It locks. It's a pretty solid little gun. The hammer does not protrude through the hole either so it doesn't rest on the bullet primer. It is a safety feature.

Thanks.  I think that suggests I've got a broken spring in mine somewhere  :(

-Chris
- Christopher Carson, SASS #5676L
A Ghostrider... Captain and Chief Engineer of the coaster "Ranger"; previously scout for the Signal Corps, Army of the Potomac, range detective...

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2010, 08:35:40 AM »
Thanks Pancho, I will definately check in with Ten Wolves. The info is much appreciated Amigo.

Shotgun Steve
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2010, 01:18:26 PM »
S. Steve,

10 Wolves made one for me and it is superb!  A fine fellow to deal with all around!!! 
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Lightning Buck McGraw

• Active citizen
  • Tought Jesse James everything he knows.
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2011, 02:25:15 PM »
Merwin Hulbert, & Co. just started makin repros, of the pocket pistols :o ;D
They even give ya a choice between the double, er single action versians

www.merwinhulbertco.com

But they is EXPENSIVE :o :o :o
Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2011, 02:39:31 PM »
Thats not the pocket pistols... Those are full size Merwins.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2011, 03:19:18 PM »
Howdy

My little collection of top break Smiths is starting to grow. I spotted this little cutie a few months ago and put down a few bucks to hold it. A big purchase came along in the meantime, so I just picked this one up on Saturday. SN is 1301XX. I'm guessing maybe around 1905? Other than a couple of scratches on the sideplate and a tiny bit of blistering of the nickel plate around the edges of the sideplate, it almost looks like it just left the factory.

I really have to get better lighting in my 'photo studio'. It's difficult to take a nice photo of a shiny gun. This one actually looks better than the photos. Gotta get one of those clear plastic rods to use instead of a dirty shotgun shell too.

That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
i been looking for a light smokless recipe for 38S&W . useing a 95 gr lead so far no luck
got a bunch loaded in bp would like some smokless for when a guy cant clean right away
i got 3 of them one is 1905 model one 1887 one i dont know
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com