Author Topic: 2010 Grand Muster - Lockhart, TX - T minus 179 Days  (Read 34535 times)

Offline Shamrock

• Top Active Citizen
Re: 2010 Grand Muster - Lockhart, TX - T minus 179 Days
« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2010, 08:30:14 am »
Jerry,
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Unfortunately I'm not going to make the Muster this year.
Regards,
Pat "Shamrock" Gannon

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2010, 06:20:09 pm »
Pitspiter and Sarge,

My prayers are with you and your families both.

On another note,

If there is still room we may be bringing a new recruit along.  How is Barraks space looking?   he is just getting into the CAS thing and is interested in coming to the GAF muster.  A chance to start out a new recruit on the right track. 

Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline TEXAS SARGE

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Very Active Citizen
« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2010, 09:26:37 pm »
T-MINUS 12 DAYS TILL THE 2010 GRAND MUSTER

Bow View Haymaker

I show 7 in the barracks for sure, so I think one more would be fine.  Be sure to bring your cot. You've got to remember Texas is a big place and we've always got room for more shooters.  Now Snow Birds, now thats a whole different story.  Looking forward to shooting with you soon.

Texas Sarge

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2010, 10:24:15 pm »
.....  Now Snow Birds, now thats a whole different story.  .....

AHEM .... !?!    :-\
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier
Old West ClipArt & History Website:  http://rattlesnakejacks.com/

Offline scooter

• Active citizen
« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2010, 10:39:04 pm »

Northern vistors are always welcome deep in the heart of DIXIE.

Offline Long Juan

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Tarryhollow Gang
« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2010, 05:02:26 pm »
I am a new recruit and glad to be a part of the GAF.  I will be attending my first Grand Muster.  I have read CAPT Mack's Event Schedule, Engagement Orders for each stage and the accompanying Texas history.  I am impressed with all the work that has goine into planning what I am sure will be a great event.  I have two questions. 

1.  Do we shoot in all three side matches?  In other words, are they scheduled at different times?  I assume it will be possible to shoot in only one or two according to one's schedule and desires.  Is that correct or are we supposed to shoot in all three? 

2.  I will not be able to stay after shooting Friday afternoon because of obligations in town.  How is uniform judging handled?  Are there "inspection" times.  I do not anticipate being competitve, but I have thrown together field and garrison uniforms of sorts.  I will wear variations of the former while shooting Friday, Saturday and Sunday and the latter for dinner Satuday night.  Anything special I need to know about this part of the muster (uniforms)?

Look forward to meeting all of you at the muster.  Thanks in advance for any advice. 

CAPT John (Long Juan) Soule
Texican Rangers, Fredericksburg, Texas
Plum Creek Shooting Society, Lockhart, Texas
SASS #84671 NCOWS #3322 STORM #368
GAF #737,  Department of Missouri, Division of Texas
www.tarryhollowgang.com

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2010, 05:13:31 pm »
Judging from past musters, senior staff/selected personel will observe participants uniforms thruout the match, no specific inspection times.  Someone may pull you aside and ask questions about your outfit.  Such personell will compare notes, come to conclusions, presenting their findings to the match director  before the awards ceremony. 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline TEXAS SARGE

• Very Active Citizen
« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2010, 07:37:35 pm »
Long Juan

The shooting  starts on Friday morning with long range rifle on stage One and long range pistol on stage Two at the same time.  We should be finished by noon, lunch then shoot the EEM starting a 1pm and should be finished fairly early.  Capt Mack has not posted the course of fire for Fridays matches. You may shoot all, or part, or none if you can't.  The history and stage info posted is for the 10 stages of the Muster for Sat & Sun.
Hope to see you at the monthly shoot on Sat the 6th.

Texas Sarge

Offline Long Juan

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Tarryhollow Gang
« Reply #133 on: November 03, 2010, 10:14:19 pm »
Thanks Drydock and Texas Sarge.  Sarge, I will see you Saturday.  We can talk more then about next weekend. 
CAPT John (Long Juan) Soule
Texican Rangers, Fredericksburg, Texas
Plum Creek Shooting Society, Lockhart, Texas
SASS #84671 NCOWS #3322 STORM #368
GAF #737,  Department of Missouri, Division of Texas
www.tarryhollowgang.com

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2010, 12:50:00 am »
Greetings:

This Muster participant is now en route, with my faithful batman in tow ..... checking in from Couer D'Alene, Idaho.  We are taking the "scenic route" as it were  (very roundabout, in fact) with a view to confusing the enemy.  We are heading west, to travel down the Oregon and California coast, then will approach the site of the engagement from the west!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 12:51:38 am by RattlesnakeJack »
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2010, 08:06:29 am »
I am posting this dispatch from a field hospital in Rochester MN the march her was uneventfulf. No hostiles sighted. will meet with my striker's sawbones later this AM.

Juan et al. for more information on the uniform competition you might want to see: http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,33665.0.html
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Patron Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2010, 09:17:08 pm »
We are now making last minute preperations, marching out tomorrow AM. Planned route of march will be dirct to the coast(Corpus Christie). Planned inspection of Naval Vessal USS Lexington, along with other attractions more suited to the "better half". Then proceed to San Antonio, visit my sister, then approach the battle site from the south, while RSJ approches from the west. Hopefully the hostiles will be trapped between the various approaching forces, resulting in a deciscive victory!.

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2010, 01:43:12 am »
A small contingent form the eastern battalion of the Division of Nebraska , Dept of Missouri, will be departing in about 6 days time and preparations are still underway.  As direct rout as possible is planned from the north.  A sort of Frontal assault, as it were.  It sounds as if engagements with the enemy could happen in many different situations.  I'm trying to think of what armament to ready.  

Main arms will be 73 winchester carbine in .45 colts cal. and Remington's new armies .44 cal, one converted to .45 colts cal.
I also have .38 cal 92 winchester and SA for secondary duty and the 92 may be my long range weapon of choice due to past reliability.  
I believe Fri morning may see action from the cap-n-ball Remington's and (if I read it right ) a percussion rifle.  
I should probably put the .32 H&R American in my pocket just in case. and maybe the .45-70 H&R handi Rifle In case there is a chance at a long shot with it.
Friday afternoon will see my Llama version of the famous new 1911 browning designed pistol in my holster.  My Friday afternoon long gun my be the 1917 version of the P-14 Enfield (if I can get enough ammo loaded) or the battle proven Rossi m92 .38cal mentioned earlier.  (the Rossi helped me stand proud at the end of Battle at the Dept of Missouri muster).

what kind of night time temps can we expect?  just how thick of a bedroll will we need?  

Hope we have enough room for all the arms ammo clothing, and gear needed for this engagment.

Brvt. MaJ. Bow View Haymaker awaiting further orders.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 01:46:02 am by Bow View Haymaker »
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2010, 01:54:44 am »
Lets talk realistic ammo requierments, not just the actual number of targets of the NO-MISS round count.  There wer parts of the last GAF event I sas at that had a rather low hit persentage.  you basicly doubled the round count for some parts of it and you might have enough.  Just trying to determine if a couple of the rifles will even get to come along for the ride.  Or if they have to stay home for lackof provisions (ammo). This would make them sad and noone want thier guns to be sad.

Round Count for Grand Muster:

Main Match
93 + Rifle
87 + Revolver

Expeditionary Match
20 Rifle
25 Pistol
12 Shotgun

Side Matches
Long Range:
Rifle: Single Shot & Repeater: 20
Revolver: SA & DA Revolver: 15
Musket Rifle & Handgun: 5
Cap & Ball Revolver: 5
Rifle; Pistol Caliber: 10

Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline scooter

• Active citizen
« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2010, 07:51:24 pm »

Bow View

When we incite revolutions, an ample supply of ammo usually accompanies the regiment.  So use your best judgement .            As for the weather, lows in the 40's, hi in the low 80's.    However it can change every min.    Forecast shows possible showers so bring your rain gear. Don't worry, if it does rain it will be over very quick.

Looking forward to seeing eveyone.

SCOOTER

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #140 on: November 05, 2010, 09:45:24 pm »
My unit is making fine progress, making camp for the night in the Indian Nation, will be reaching Texas early tmorrow.

Sounds as if the attack is going as planned, with units converging from at least three directions. Hopefully will not have difficulty with the ammunition supply, sufficient quantities of ammunition for Colt's revolver, new-fangled Colt's automatic pistol, 1903, and shtgun. However, supplies of .30 army cartridges for the Krag rifle are in short supply, available stocks will only allow for about 20 extra, so hopefully my marksmanship will be good!

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2010, 08:00:52 am »
Update from Mayo

The Sawbones advise that while the surgery was quite a bit more complicated than expected, everything went well and all indications are that it was a complete success. They expect him to be recovered enough to compete in the teams first track meet the first week of December.

Thank you for all your prayers and Godspeed you in your endeavours next weekend.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Patron Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2010, 09:17:24 am »
Glad to hear that things are going well for your striker, Col Pitspitr! You will be missed during the campaign next week, but your duties are there in Nebraska.

We will be breaking camp and marching out in a few minutes here, expect to be crossing the Red River out of the Indian Nation, into Texas well before the noon break.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2010, 09:36:06 am »
Update from Mayo

The Sawbones advise that while the surgery was quite a bit more complicated than expected, everything went well and all indications are that it was a complete success. They expect him to be recovered enough to compete in the teams first track meet the first week of December.

Thank you for all your prayers and Godspeed you in your endeavours next weekend.

Good news indeed, Colonel!
Continued prayers for quick recovery. We will send a few rounds towards the hostiles in your and your Striker's name!
RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/River_City_John

Offline captmack

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
  • "TX is neither southern nor western. TX is TX"
    • Capt Mack's You Tube page
« Reply #144 on: November 07, 2010, 01:22:37 pm »
T - Minus 3 Days!!!

It's almost here!  The Squad Leaders will arrive on Wednesday for final setup.  We'll shoot through on Thursday and be ready for everyone on Friday.

Exp Era Match and Long Range will be on Friday with Main Match Stages starting on Saturday morning.

We are very excited to see everyone down here in the Lone Star State!  Drive careful and we'll see you next weekend!

Capt Mack
Capt Prather Scott "Mack" McLain
Senator
NCOWS Life Member #175

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2010, 09:22:41 pm »
Dispatch from San Antonio, TX:

After breaking camp Saturday, we passed by MCalester Army Ammunition plant, however NO .30 Army ammunition is to be had.....only something called"5.56" Strange looking shells, even smaller than that new Lee-Navy  cartridge!! Crossing of the Red River was uneventful.

Sunday, paid our respects to the Heros of the Alamo, and consumed too much Bar-b-Q on the Riverwalk.

Continuing on our campaign tomorrow AM, on to the coast at Corpus Christi!

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #146 on: November 08, 2010, 09:58:12 am »
Dispatch from Fresno, California:

Experienced some waggon trouble on Saturday (nothing serious, but a strange "service engine" light came on and wouldn't shut off ) so had to spend most of that day in Eureka until a blacksmith/livery we found open could get it in and check things out ..... Put us a mite behind schedule (..... as did a slight navigational error shortly after coming off the Golden Gate bridge - 
although unplanned, I can now say I have driven through both The Presidio and the center of San Francisco!   :-\)

However, we have commenced the eastward leg of the journey, and may simply have to make slightly longer marches each day to ensure a timely arrival at the convergence of our various forces.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:00:01 am by RattlesnakeJack »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
« Reply #147 on: November 08, 2010, 02:17:22 pm »
Capt. Mack, or anyone with the answer,

When do we have to be out of the Barracks? If possible, we were planning on sleeping Sunday night in the Barracks and then taking off early Monday morning.
If this is not an option, that is okay, our plans are very flexible.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/River_City_John

Offline TEXAS SARGE

• Very Active Citizen
« Reply #148 on: November 08, 2010, 03:40:41 pm »
River City John
No problem on staying till whenever on Monday
Sarge

Offline captmack

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
  • "TX is neither southern nor western. TX is TX"
    • Capt Mack's You Tube page
« Reply #149 on: November 08, 2010, 04:01:21 pm »
Dispatch from Fresno, California:

Experienced some waggon trouble on Saturday (nothing serious, but a strange "service engine" light came on and wouldn't shut off ) so had to spend most of that day in Eureka until a blacksmith/livery we found open could get it in and check things out ..... Put us a mite behind schedule (..... as did a slight navigational error shortly after coming off the Golden Gate bridge - 
although unplanned, I can now say I have driven through both The Presidio and the center of San Francisco!   :-\)

However, we have commenced the eastward leg of the journey, and may simply have to make slightly longer marches each day to ensure a timely arrival at the convergence of our various forces.

Drive safe!  Looking forward to seeing my Canuck Pard!!!

Capt Mack
Capt Prather Scott "Mack" McLain
Senator
NCOWS Life Member #175