Author Topic: Source for Baikal Parts, Repair?  (Read 13633 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Source for Baikal Parts, Repair?
« on: April 14, 2010, 02:41:06 PM »
Now that EAA is fairly useless, and Remington just refers questions back to EAA, is there a gunsmith with parts and willing to repair a Baikal Bounty Hunter?  

I hava Baikal Bounty Hunter SXS (single trigger) that I am very fond of .... trouble is, someone 'customized' (my smith used the word 'butchered') the seers.

After ordering the 'correct' part three times from EAA, and paying for the parts and postage only to find they sent the wrong part, My 'smith has has to result to having drill steel brazed onto the old seers and filing them down to the proper shape.

So far he has had the gun for 8 months. I have missed the entire hunting season and really do not want to miss the SASS season as well.

Has anyone had any luck with getting Baikals repaired?

Thanks!

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 130
Re: Source for Baikal Parts, Repair?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 05:14:58 PM »

I don't really like Baikal Shotguns and don't work by mail ....... so ....... If I had one and it needed work, I'd send it to Nate Kiowa Jones @ stevesgunz.  Really good smith and KNOWS the Baikal inside and out.  Great guy to deal with and fair prices.
He ain't to shabby with a '92 either.  Or an SA.

Coffinmaker

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 05:36:31 PM »
Coffinmaker,

You are among a group of people who suggested Nate 'Kiowa' Jones.

I wrote to him once, and he said he had a MINIMUM turn around time of six months.

So I went with a local smith, and he has had the gun for SEVEN months ... go figure!

The plan so far is, if I ever do get the gun back, it will go to Steve's Gunz in the fall.

He has been promising to bring it to every monthly shoot since September ... so we will see if it appears this May shoot ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:22:17 PM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 09:39:36 PM »
I have found a possible source of Baikal parts  .... Baikal Canada has offered to ship me the seers that I need ... so we shall see ... but for all you lookeeloers with Baikals, the website is:

http://www.baikalcanada.com/

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 08:50:59 PM »
Baikal Update:

I talked to Mrs Levin at Baikal Canada ... she said she was not set up to do credit card payments on the phone; that I must do paypal or send a cashier's check.

The letter went out in late April with a cashier's check in it ... imagine my surprise/consternation when, ten days later the letter reappeared on my doorstep telling me that it was sent with insufficient in funds, and that I needed to add $1.00 more to the postage ... it had been gone over a week and never left Sacramento!

So I took all the information down to the USPS who told me that it should go priority mail ($11.00 charges), and that if I wanted to send it insured, it would only be $44.00 (Remember, this is for a $35.00 money order).

The priority mail was send on April 30th ... yesterday, I sent an email to Baikal Canada asking if they had recieved the check; they sent an email back that as of 12 April, they had not recieved the check.

I called USPS who told me that on international mailings there is no way to track a priority envelope ... that I should have insured it (remember the $44..00 insurance charge on a .35.00 check?) ... not only that, but I was informed that it takes 10 to 15
BUSINESS DAYS to send an international letter (I could have personally delivered it on a Greyhound in less time) ...

And we have not even discussed the return shipping ....

I am so frustrated I could chew nails ... I am guessing the real answer to all this is to just hang that Baikal above the fireplace and get a Stoeger Uplander ... sigh

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 04:51:20 PM »
The good and the bad ...

I got so upset on wating for parts that I bought a single trigger Stoeger Uplander .... only to find that I may have two cans of worms rather than just one ... but at least the parts supply is much less laborious on the Stoeger...

BTW, I got an email from Baikal/Canada saying that the parts were shipped through Canada Post on Friday ...

So now the plan is:

1.) send the Baikal to Steve's Guns (AKA Nate 'Kiowa' Jones) using the same shipping container as the Stoeger came in, and include in the shipping container the new Baikal Seers, Dave Breuschi cocking levers, and have him 'slick' up for SASS use.

2.) Use the Uplander and Cap Coyote Model 87 for shooting until the Baikal is sent back.

3.) By then I will know about the Stoeger Uplander. Again, if necessary, the Stoeger will be sent back to Steve's Guns while I use the Model 87 and the Baikal ...

Steve's Guns is saying a six month turn around time,  so I will be sending in brief notes giving updates...

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com