Author Topic: Ordnance Officer Impression  (Read 12498 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ordnance Officer Impression
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
I'm glad to hear thaqt you have relocated here in Texas.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Raven

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ravens Roost Gunsmithing
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 12:33:38 PM »
Also for really good photos of my work check back issues of Guns of The Old West magazines
There are several feature articles.
Look for Kirst articles and Kirst & Strite articles. In particular look for the Pale Rider, Lonesome Dove and Kirst 1861 and 1849 Colt articles.

Regards
Jay Strite

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 01:27:28 PM »
Y'all will have to come out for the Grand Muster this year.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:24:15 AM »

Offline rustyrelx

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 11:04:12 AM »
Raven:  There seems to be some confusion out there as to what is an armorer.
Until recently there were 5 levels of Maintenance.

1. Organizational or Unit- Company Armorer lives here(limited repair)
2. Direct Support-Battalion repairman(limited repair)
3. General support-Brigade repairman(general repairman)
4. Depot-rebuild (complete system repairman)
5. Manufacturer

In todays ARMY there are 3 levels of Maintenance. (but should be 4 as the MFG is now left off)

1. Organizational or Unit
2. Field
3. Depot

An armorer in todays world is a 76Y Supply person, but not always. He can be a 45B. The Direct level has a limited amount of repair that he may do and is usually a 76Y or 45B. Under General Support is the Small Arms Repairman, (the armorer is not the small arms repairman). The small arms repairman is allowed to replace all parts except the serial numbered part. This is an Ordance Sgt. and is a 45B. Highest rank he may attain is Sgt.E-5. If this Sgt. wants to advance his career he must become a 45K. A 45K is a Tank Repairman. The Tank repairman can advance to SFC. E-7. and each job lessor to his MUST be known by him. ie the 45K must know 45B and be able to demonstrate it.  The 76Y can attain the rank of E-9. So this career field can go through the entire rank structure (76)without changing career field.  Its the easiest career field advancement in the ARMY. Note that the numerical number following the letter in the designation lists the lever of what was attained in rank.

10=  E3
20 to E5
30 to E6
40 to E7

By what has been posted here in the past it would appear that the Ordance Sgt.(appointed) is a supply person and has the responsibility of accountability of all Ordance within his Company. It also doesn't say he repairs anything. This seems to correspond with the evolutionary changes within the ARMY.

I do hope this helps clerify what an Ordance Sgt. is in TODAYS world.

SFC Don Belcher USA ret. 45K40
SFC USA ret-2004
76Y,45B,45K,63H
GAF 716

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 06:19:49 PM »

Hey RustyRelx,  Back when I was in (1970 - 1991) an Armament E-7 (SFC) was a 45Z40.  I got that far before switching over to 421A, Chief Warrant Officer2.  Back in 1984 we jumped over WO1 if we were E-7 or above.

Ordnance Officers in 1872 were in fact Staff Offiers and wore "a sack coat of dark blue cloth or serge; falling collar; single-breasted, with five buttons in front, same as those worn on the dress coat; with black braid, extending from each button and button hole back six inches and terminating in 'herring bone loops'.

The skirt to be of such length to nearly reach the middle joint of the fingers when the arms hang naturally, and to be slashed at the hip on each side; a knot of black braid on the upper part of the cuff according to pattern.

The shoulder straps will be worn on the shoulders.  Broad black braid binding around the edge of coat."  Excerpt from Gen. Order #76  War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, July 27, 1872.

By the way, In 1872 the Army ordered all Officers, except Cavalry and Light Artillery to start wearing the straight 1860 General Staff Officers Sword.  It was a straight, thin bladed short sword that was useless as a weapon.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m53/Grapeshot_2006/011.jpg
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline rustyrelx

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2010, 08:37:35 AM »
45Z is now an E-8 actually is 45Z50. The Z is a hard slot to find. Ya I remember those days when one could advance to W02 based on being a enlisted above E-7. A few around me did that very thing.  Don
SFC USA ret-2004
76Y,45B,45K,63H
GAF 716

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com