Author Topic: Vintage Hunting and NCOWS  (Read 309910 times)

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
Re: Vintage Hunting and NCOWS
« Reply #650 on: May 09, 2018, 09:18:01 pm »
Tomcat
Single barreled shotguns killed lots of game back in the day . Did you have a good time while out hunting , that's the most important thing .

Offline TomcatPC

• Citizen
« Reply #651 on: May 11, 2018, 12:58:27 pm »
I had a great time!  Looking forward to Autumn and Winter again next year.  But first...I hope we have a long hot Spring and Summer so I can't do a lot of Vintage Scuba Diving!!!  Once I put the double hose regulators and old steel tanks away, out comes the 1940's canvas brown jacket and the Iver-Johnson 16 Ga. Champion!!
Mark
USN 1989-1993

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #652 on: July 15, 2018, 11:44:54 am »
Howdy
Hunting season is around the corner . Plan on shooting a few familiarization rounds this week . Trying to figure out what weapon to hunt with this fall . I  plan on carrying my NCOWS pistol from USFA  this fall .  The 45 Colt does a great job at pistol ranges . 

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #653 on: September 08, 2018, 11:58:36 am »
Howdy
This year Kentucky has a firearm Doe only season the last weekend of September . Planning on a Vintage hunt with my 44wcf . I am out of Deer meat . Hope to take a nice fat Doe , excellent eating .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #654 on: September 17, 2018, 08:48:12 pm »
Howdy
The Doe season was voted down . So I got all excited for nothing . Well I did go shoot my rifle , that was a good thing .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #655 on: October 14, 2018, 11:34:50 am »
Howdy
Well it's almost Muzzle loader season . I went out and shot my TC White Mountain carbine yesterday . It shot Great , now in the past I have always Hunted with a TC Pennsylvania Hunter which is a round ball rifle . I have taken 21 Deer with that Rifle but this year I want to try the carbine . Yesterday when I shot the carbine it shot real good I sighted it in at 50 yards . That will work in the Woods that I hunt in . I am a fan of big side hammers , I guess I watched Jeremiah Johnson to many times as a kid till NOW . I just want to HUNT .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #656 on: October 22, 2018, 07:16:52 pm »
Howdy
Well early muzzle loader season is over . Had a good time , but didn't bust a cap . I have taken a week of vacation to rifle hunt . So the plan is to hunt and camp for a week . Wish everyone a safe and successful season .

Offline Big Goose

• Active citizen
« Reply #657 on: October 26, 2018, 03:38:35 pm »
It's been awhile since I've posted anything here, but figured folks might find this interesting.
Montana buffalo hunt , original 1876  Winchester  45-60 caliber. Though I've never preferred hollow point boolets, this cast of 40-1 shoots the best in the old Winchester, and I guess I can't complain about the performance. Boolet recovered in the hide on the off side,  broke through ribs entering and exiting, really excellent in putting her down. She only went maybe ten feet , of course shot placement is critical, but it was good to see.  Shot was at a little over 90 yards and she was moving a bit.
 Boolet is cast at .460,  and weighs just shy of 360 grains, 60 grains of Olde Eynesford 2ff, .2" compression,  and thin card wad,  she'll keep 'em all on a playing card at 100 yards if I hold steady enough.
 Deer hunting starts in a couple weeks, I'll be toting the ole' 76. ;)
 Good luck hunting all,
 Big Goose

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #658 on: October 26, 2018, 06:39:17 pm »
Big Goose
Thanks for posting . It don't get much better than a Buffalo with a 76 . Hope you have a Great Deer season .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #659 on: December 03, 2018, 07:07:58 pm »
Howdy
Well Rifle season is over . The 73 dispatched another Buck .Nice Deer will  make lots of jerky this winter . I have a problem posting pictures same camera same everything but no luck . Hope everyone had a safe and successful Deer season .
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:39:25 pm by Rowdy Fulcher »

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #660 on: January 11, 2019, 07:21:54 pm »
Howdy
Here is the 2018 Buck

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #661 on: January 27, 2019, 12:36:57 pm »
Howdy
Big Goose I would love to have your Buffalo pictures and story on the 76 site also . Who knows you might inspire someone to use there 76 on a Hunting adventure . Life is short and adventures are to few . Thanks again for posting .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #662 on: February 10, 2019, 10:32:05 am »
Howdy
I started planting oak trees on the Farm a couple years ago . When the rest of the farming world is at war with trees . So I plan on planting oaks to start with . I have planted trees from moss oak nurseries . I have also collected acorns from the woods . I have the acorns in the frig in a bag of potting soil . This spring will get them out and plant them in pots and then late in the fall will move to the woods . Wish I would of started this 20 years ago .

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
« Reply #663 on: February 10, 2019, 03:19:54 pm »
When I was bow hunting about 20 years ago, I noticed some white oak acorns that were
sprouting, I put them inside over the winter and planted them in the spring. They are now
about 12" diameter and 30' tall. They will be mighty oaks long after I'm gone.

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #664 on: February 11, 2019, 06:55:39 pm »
BTB
Those Deer  love you for planting those White Oaks . And the Turkeys like those acorns too . I have always loved to Hunt , just figured that would be a good thing for Future Hunters . Hope some day my grandson's will sit under these Tree's while on a Vintage Deer Hunt . Hope they use my 73 and my 76  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #665 on: February 17, 2019, 02:04:24 pm »
HOWDY
Well Turkey season will be here before you know it . I love hunting and eating them , don't know which I like the best ? They are excellent eating . Our season opens in April and ends in May . I guess I better start practicing my calling , love to call them in close and then smoke them with my 12 gauge .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #666 on: March 30, 2019, 11:22:15 am »
Howdy
Glad to see the site back up . Here is a picture of a turkey I killed a couple years ago .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #667 on: April 14, 2019, 02:00:22 pm »
Howdy
Season opened with lots of birds on the move .Watched 3 Toms with a large group of Hens . They put on a first class show trying to out strut the other . Now when the Tom's are with the Hens you can't call them away . So never fired a shot maybe next time .