Author Topic: Vintage Hunting and NCOWS  (Read 400979 times)

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Vintage Hunting and NCOWS
« Reply #520 on: September 05, 2015, 12:42:23 PM »
Howdy
What's your favorite shotgun for Vintage Hunting . A old trusty single barrel . or a hammered double . Maybe a lever or pump action shotgun .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #521 on: October 01, 2015, 09:59:24 PM »
Howdy
In 6 weeks Rifle season opens . I can't wait . My biggest problem is which rifle to use ? The 76 in 45-60 or the 73 in 44wcf . Plan on shooting this weekend . Need to be at the top of my game on opening day .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #522 on: October 20, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »
Howdy
I went muzzle loader hunting last weekend . I spotted a nice Buck but didn't get a shot at him . Sure hope he's still there in Rifle season .

Advertising

« Reply #523 on: Today at 08:09:13 AM »

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #523 on: October 31, 2015, 07:29:05 PM »
Howdy
Rifle season for Deer is almost here . I have scouted and the Deer sign looks pretty good . Here is a few of the Tools I use .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #524 on: November 22, 2015, 08:56:26 AM »
Howdy
The 2015 Deer season was a tough hunt . Mother nature was doing her best at being nasty . Wind and heavy rain are never a hunters favorite weather . BUT we will be there regardless .

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #525 on: November 22, 2015, 06:26:37 PM »
I've been able to go out 4 days so far, sometimes with the '94 38-55, sometimes modern. So far, only things I have seen while on the stand: 1 possum, 1 armadillo, multitudes of squirrels, and several turkeys. Only deer I have seen were either going to the stand, or coming back, and they never stayed around long enough for a shot.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #526 on: November 27, 2015, 08:48:10 PM »
Pony Express
Hope things  are going good for your  Hunting .

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #527 on: November 27, 2015, 10:21:07 PM »
Been kind of alternating going out with the '94 and "modern", so far the old '94 has been skunked, but got a big doe with the .308. Still have a week od doe season, so all hope is not lost. Then there's the "alternative methods" season in Dec. Used to be for Muzzle loaders, but now it includes cartridge handguns.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #528 on: December 02, 2015, 04:43:41 PM »
Howdy
This weekend Turkey season will be in , wanting to use my 87 . But it has the short barrel and open choke . Which means I have to get em close . Who has taken Turkeys with a 87 .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #529 on: December 10, 2015, 04:54:11 PM »
Howdy
This Saturday is Muzzle loading season . I plan on smoking me a nice Doe . If I am successful that will be my 21 Deer with that muzzle loader . I sit back and listen to people say you can't kill Deer with those old round balls . What are these people thinking ?
Oh well , Hope everyone has a SAFE and successful hunting season .

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #530 on: December 11, 2015, 10:49:48 PM »
Hey Rowdy!  I hate to publicly admit this, but the dozen or so deer I've smoked here in Nebraska have all been taken with modern inlines, saboted bullets, and after the state made it legal a few years ago a 3x9 scope.  OH THE SHAME!! Please don't give me too much of a tongue lashin! I shot my sidelock today with a patched RB and holy black in preparation for a hunting trip next weekend. Quickfire and I will try to make you proud. Will a RB penetrate both sides of a Nebraska sized deer if you shoot it in the shoulder (scapula)? I'm shooting a 50 cal. 180gr. RB with 100 grains of FFG., seemed to group pretty well, a couple inches at 50 yds. off the bench. 
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #531 on: December 12, 2015, 02:57:03 PM »
Ira
You won't have no problem shooting through your Deer . Unless you try a Quigley shot . I usually shot Deer at about 50 yards , I hunt in the thick part of the woods and that is about as far as you can see . As for the inlines I have NO PROBLEM with them . I'm just a lover of the old ways . I shoot 90 grains of powder . Good luck and Happy Hunting .

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #532 on: December 13, 2015, 08:28:10 AM »
Howdy
This weekend Turkey season will be in , wanting to use my 87 . But it has the short barrel and open choke . Which means I have to get em close . Who has taken Turkeys with a 87 .

Years ago a well known outdoor writer prophesied that someday the choke of a shotgun would be "built" in to the shotgun shell. He, Jack O'Connor, was exactly right.

Several years ago I guided a spring turkey hunt in which I carried an old Fox "B" in 16 ga. "just in case". I assumed it was choked modified in the left barrel and full in the right, just as most all the old long barreled doubles were. So I grabbed a handful of W-W 1 1/8 oz. of #4's and off we go. As luck would have it I was able to call in a Tom for the fella I was guiding and also for myself. I killed mine clean as a whistle and thought nothing of it.

A couple of years later I was measuring the chokes on a couple of shotguns and measured the old Fox. Much to my surprise, the left barrel was choked IC and the right somewhere around SK. I'd shot that Tom at a pretty fair distance with the right barrel.

The moral of this story is the quality of the shotgun shell used can overcome the degree of the choke. Too, large shot, say from #4 or #5 and up, pattern much more evenly with open chokes.

So load or grab some shells loaded with good, high antimony shot, buffered if possible, and go hunt up a Tom!

CHT

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #533 on: December 13, 2015, 04:42:41 PM »
Here in Iowa we can't use centerfire rifles for deer so I have a rifled barrel shotgun. Last Saturday
was opening day and I shot at a nice doe at about 90 yds. it turned and walked straight in front
of me at about 100 yds, it stopped so I shot again thinking I missed the first shot. It dropped on the
second shot. Alas when I was skinning it there were 2 holes through it 1/2" apart. The proof will be
in the sewn holes in the buckskin.

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #534 on: December 13, 2015, 05:53:07 PM »
Billy
Is that going to be MY new shirt  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #535 on: December 14, 2015, 07:19:35 AM »
Here in Iowa we can't use centerfire rifles for deer so I have a rifled barrel shotgun. Last Saturday
was opening day and I shot at a nice doe at about 90 yds. it turned and walked straight in front
of me at about 100 yds, it stopped so I shot again thinking I missed the first shot. It dropped on the
second shot. Alas when I was skinning it there were 2 holes through it 1/2" apart. The proof will be
in the sewn holes in the buckskin.

BTB

What's the difference between a rifle and a "shotgun" with a rifled barrel.

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #536 on: December 14, 2015, 04:21:27 PM »
A rifled barrel fits on a shotgun and shoots a sabot slug. The original intent was to limit
the range of the bullets from flying very far in populated areas, but with technology some
of these are accurate out to 200 yds. Mine doesn't like the fast slugs, when I could get federal
slugs with Barnes expanders it shot a 3 shot 1'' group at 100 yds. They no longer make those and I'm still
searching for something close to those, now probably 3-4" group.

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #537 on: December 14, 2015, 05:33:04 PM »
BTB
I have a 87 with a 20 inch barrel I have always thought that would make an excellent slug gun . A lever action slug gun sounds fun ?

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #538 on: December 15, 2015, 07:38:04 AM »
What qualifies as "Vintage?"

I shot a nice doe this year with my M-1898 US Krag. Funny thing, our soldiers thought they were under armed with the Krag, but that doe didn't. She went down like a ton of bricks and never even twitched.

I went out Saturday with my T/C Hawkens and never got a shot, but to be honest, I'd made up my mind to be really picky on what I shot since I already have meat in the freezer.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #539 on: December 15, 2015, 08:16:47 AM »
A rifled barrel fits on a shotgun and shoots a sabot slug. The original intent was to limit
the range of the bullets from flying very far in populated areas, but with technology some
of these are accurate out to 200 yds. Mine doesn't like the fast slugs, when I could get federal
slugs with Barnes expanders it shot a 3 shot 1'' group at 100 yds. They no longer make those and I'm still
searching for something close to those, now probably 3-4" group.

BTB

I know what a "slug gun" is, my question is since the barrel is rifled, why isn't it a "rifle"? 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com