Author Topic: Vintage Hunting and NCOWS  (Read 401026 times)

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Vintage Hunting and NCOWS
« Reply #360 on: May 30, 2013, 01:04:21 PM »
Great Idea!
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #361 on: May 30, 2013, 05:13:23 PM »
John
I think Vintage Hunting would be something our members would enjoy . Will start working on it .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #362 on: June 30, 2013, 11:57:08 AM »
Howdy
Hunting season is just around the corner . I had a chance to shoot my short rifle 1873 in 44wcf yesterday . It shot great , the 44wcf is a great round . In a time when every hunting magazine tries to sell all the new calibers . We know that the old trusted calibers still work . It doesn't matter if your using your grand fathers 30wcf ( 30-30 ) or your cowboy shooting 44wcf . They still work in the Hunting situation of today . Now with that said I have lots of friends who use modern style weapons and that's fine they use what they want and I use what I like . Were all one big happy family and the woods are big enough to accommodate everyone .

Advertising

« Reply #363 on: Today at 08:29:04 PM »

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #363 on: July 01, 2013, 08:47:04 PM »
I like to take the old 32 Special out for at least one deer a year. ;D
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #364 on: July 03, 2013, 05:55:50 PM »
Cliff
What about your 73 in 44wcf . If I win the lottery this weekend we will have a BIG Vintage Hunt . We will have to travel to Texas and visit Dusty . Would LOVE to hunt on the Mule Shoe Ranch . I would love to Deer hunt in almost every State that has a Deer season using my 73's in 44wcf . Remember boys life is SHORT .

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #365 on: July 03, 2013, 09:47:53 PM »
Rowdy, I've never taken a deer with the 44WCF but I really need to add that to my bucket list. 44WCF using black powder of course.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #366 on: July 03, 2013, 11:26:54 PM »
I intend to hunt pigs with my 1873 in .45 Colt this winter. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #367 on: July 04, 2013, 11:27:33 AM »
Cliff
My wish for this Deer season is to use only my 1873 and take 4 legal Deer . Now that means that I will have to sit early Muzzle Loading season out . But if I strike out with my 73in rifle season I will break the ole smoke pole out . I shot my 73 today with ammo loaded with T7 ,they came in at 1300 fps over the chronie .

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #368 on: July 04, 2013, 04:13:10 PM »
Cliff
My wish for this Deer season is to use only my 1873 and take 4 legal Deer . Now that means that I will have to sit early Muzzle Loading season out . But if I strike out with my 73in rifle season I will break the ole smoke pole out . I shot my 73 today with ammo loaded with T7 ,they came in at 1300 fps over the chronie .

No limit on antlerless deer where I live  ;D I usually get anywhere from three to seven, depending on the freezer and what I see.

Is there a particular hunting bullet you like for the 44wcf?

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #369 on: July 04, 2013, 06:49:04 PM »
Cliff
I just use the 200 grain round nose flat point ( lead ) .

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #370 on: July 04, 2013, 10:09:27 PM »
I've been shooting the Mav 44 Big Lube for CAS. I suppose it would serve well on a deer at fairly close range.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #371 on: July 05, 2013, 08:53:26 PM »
Cliff
It worked real good about 120 years ago . But now lead is a bad thing .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #372 on: July 13, 2013, 10:24:37 PM »
Howdy
The weather this summer is GREAT . I went to our hunting cabin this afternoon and the temp was about 78 degrees . Did a little shooting . We stopped shooting to watch the deer in the soy beans . Now why don't those critters watch you like that in hunting season ? We were moving and making noise , doing everything you can't do in Hunting season . They just watched us and kept eating .  We had one old Doe that was about 75 yards away , I guess she was hungry not scared . 

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #373 on: August 03, 2013, 11:39:30 AM »
Howdy
As a NCOWS member we are lovers of History and Authenticity . Now put that together with Hunting and you have your Vintage Hunter . The Hunter who would rather grab his 1873 Winchester with a round that was loaded as the original  44wcf were loaded . While some hunters enjoy having a camp to hunt and enjoy the whole outdoor experience for weeks at a time , some hunters can only hunt for the day so what ever category you fall in get out there and hunt and have fun this is your chance to relive the past . 
Remember this is your adventure enjoy every minute to the last second . Life is short .

1961MJS

« Reply #374 on: August 03, 2013, 10:16:19 PM »
... We stopped shooting to watch the deer in the soy beans . Now why don't those critters watch you like that in hunting season ? We were moving and making noise , doing everything you can't do in Hunting season . They just watched us and kept eating .  We had one old Doe that was about 75 yards away , I guess she was hungry not scared . 

Hi Rowdy

Them darn Deer can read Wildlife Department Calendars nowadays.  I noticed that in Illinois when I'd drive down the road the Pheasants would be popping their heads up in the fields until November...

Later

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #375 on: August 05, 2013, 04:30:55 PM »
Howdy
I played around with Triple 7 and the velocities were in the 1300 + fps . So if a hunter can't find black powder the triple 7 is another option . It was to hot for Cowboy shooting some cowboys said , but it's just right for Vintage Hunting .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #376 on: August 10, 2013, 12:55:45 PM »
Howdy
Well it's that time of year when we start thinking about upcoming hunting season . Squirrel season opens in a few days . They work great in a Pot pie or fried up like chicken . The Deer forecast looks Great , I seen a real nice buck a few weeks ago . I have a pack of Deer steaks laid out to grill for tomorrows lunch . I plan on fixing a batch of venison jerky in the upcoming weeks to have ready for Deer season . Start planning NOW season will be here before you know it .

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #377 on: August 10, 2013, 02:04:21 PM »
Rowdy, I normally shoot 2F in my 44wcf. Thinking of loading up some 44wcf with 3f swiss and run them across the crony and see how they group.

You reckon I'd get a little extra umph with the 3f? Not that it really needs it at close range.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #378 on: August 12, 2013, 08:39:35 PM »
Cliff
I had some loaded with 3f 35 grains , they were smoking HOT . If I was  loading the 3f I would stick to about 33 1/2 grains . I THINK that will put you at around 1300 fps .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #379 on: August 21, 2013, 07:19:51 PM »
Howdy
There's  long barreled 87 shotguns in Canada . And I think the price was under $500 . They are pw87 which is a Chinese gun . Fall Turkey season is just around the corner . I need a long barreled 87 for a Turkey Hunting Video .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com