Author Topic: Vintage Hunting and NCOWS  (Read 401012 times)

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Vintage Hunting and NCOWS
« Reply #620 on: December 17, 2016, 07:19:46 PM »
Howdy
Well no Turkey this year . But I have managed to take a coyote .

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #621 on: December 17, 2016, 09:16:51 PM »
Nice lookin fur on that critter Rowdy! Make a fine hat! Did you put a sneak on him while he was nappin, or bring him in with a predator call? After Christmas Quickfire and I are going after the dangerous and elusive whitetail deer in north central Nebraska. I'm going to make another attempt to put a PRB through one. I've got the .58 cal. double Kodiak and a T.C. Hawken flintlock working good enough that I think a critter within 75 yds. or so is in peril. Hope it warms up just a tad, air temp. right now is about 5 degrees with probably -10 wind chill.
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #622 on: December 21, 2016, 06:05:10 PM »
Ira
Good luck on your upcoming Hunt , Hope you can stock up on jerky meat . As for the Coyote I spotted him coming down a grassy ditch and he was after mice . When he got close enough I let him have it .

Advertising

« Reply #623 on: Today at 05:37:32 PM »

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #623 on: December 22, 2016, 07:23:49 PM »
  130 years old and still putting meat on the table!

My first time using a BP load for any type of hunting. The load pictured above on the right is the one I used and consists of a compressed load of Swiss 3Fg and a bullet from an RCBS 40-180 mould that I cast with straight wheelweights (I know...sacrilege) and weighs 192 grs. So loaded it runs a little over 1300 fps and is really quite accurate out to 200 yds. with an occasional group going under 6" at that range. The buck was just shy of 50 yds. when I shot him, and he bolted at the shot. I stayed put in my little brush blind for about 20 minutes then found him dead as a hammer about 50 yds. away. The bullet entered the left side, low behind the shoulder breaking a rib, through the left lung, drilled the heart dead center, creased the right lung, out between two ribs on the right side, then somehow traveled under the skin several inches before exiting the off side of the right shoulder.

I'm hooked.

CHT

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #624 on: December 22, 2016, 08:58:48 PM »
CHT
Welcome to the Club . There are a few of us who love the old ways .  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #625 on: December 27, 2016, 12:12:51 PM »
And "they" say a 38-40 is too light for deer hunting!   Well placed shot CHT!!

Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #626 on: January 09, 2017, 05:12:35 PM »
Howdy
Well 2017 is officially here . What are you Hunting in 2017 ? Are you planning any big Hunts ? Maybe a weekend hunt  ? Now Deer season is over I have been chasing Coyotes . Good luck and Happy Hunting .

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #627 on: January 09, 2017, 05:17:24 PM »
  Thanks Troy!

Howdy
Well 2017 is officially here . What are you Hunting in 2017 ? Are you planning any big Hunts ? Maybe a weekend hunt  ? Now Deer season is over I have been chasing Coyotes . Good luck and Happy Hunting .

Lots of ga me to hunt around the house but I mostly leave everything alone EXCEPT hogs. When I have a couple hours of daylight to burn and a north breeze into which I can walk, hogs are the next on the menu! And I'll be after them with my trusty Uberti. 44 Special.

CHT

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #628 on: January 15, 2017, 10:12:08 AM »
CHT
Good luck on your Hog hunt . Don't forget the pictures , everyone loves pictures .  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #629 on: February 14, 2017, 06:42:42 PM »
Howdy
Today   I came across a field full of Buffalo . Now these are owned by a local Farmer . After work I loaded up the wife and we went for a drive and we watched the Buffalo and I snapped a few pictures .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #630 on: April 02, 2017, 11:07:12 AM »
Howdy
Turkey season is almost here . I plan on using the 87 shotgun with black powder shells . Hope the weather is drier than last year . Who's turkey Hunting this Spring ?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #631 on: April 16, 2017, 11:29:36 PM »
Howdy
Turkey season is almost here . I plan on using the 87 shotgun with black powder shells . Hope the weather is drier than last year . Who's turkey Hunting this Spring ?

That'd be me! I finally made time to slip into the woods. Left the house about 10:00 a.m. Saturday, walked to the back of my place and made a big semi-circle from west to north, pausing every 50 yds. or so to call. I finally got into some shady woods, sat down on a mesquite to call one last time. This ol' boy never let out a peep, but the brilliant red, white and blue head cruising through the brush was a dead give away. He stopped behind a chaparral bush, and I waited until I had a decent shot.

Same 1886 production '73 Winchester 38-40 that I used during deer season, with the same BP load.

CHT

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #632 on: April 17, 2017, 01:35:47 AM »
Howdy
Today   I came across a field full of Buffalo . Now these are owned by a local Farmer . After work I loaded up the wife and we went for a drive and we watched the Buffalo and I snapped a few pictures .

And you are right everyone loves pictures. ;D
Loved that one.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #633 on: April 22, 2017, 02:32:57 PM »
Howdy
Today I killed a Turkey with a 87 shotgun and a hefty load of old E BP and #5 shot .

Congrats CHT on your  beautiful bird and a beautiful rifle .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #634 on: May 04, 2017, 07:42:34 PM »
Howdy
Thought I would post a picture of the 87 and my jake .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #635 on: May 06, 2017, 09:39:17 AM »
Howdy
Was able to call in a Large Tom . This was a real adventure all the rain has made hunting tough . I was able to call him in and shot him at 30 yards . The 87 did an Excellent job ,and the old E loaded with#5 shot was a slam dunk .

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #636 on: May 18, 2017, 05:44:46 PM »
Kind of late , but just saw your post , that is a Dang good bird Rowdy. The old shotgun did it's  work for you. Takes a good hunter to bring / call in and kill a turkey within shotgun range  on his own . ,,,DT

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #637 on: June 02, 2017, 05:16:21 PM »
Dusty
Turkey Hunting is a ton of FUN as you know . When you get a old Gobbler to come to your call , well it just don't get any better . The hard part is not to over call . Well Fall Turkey season is months away I guess I could load a few shells in anticipation .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #638 on: July 07, 2017, 08:40:25 PM »
Howdy
Well Deer season is months away so its time to burn a little powder . I may break out the 76 this fall in 45-60 I have taken a few Deer with it . I had the barrel cut down to 24 inches to make a little Hunter friendly , it was that our get a mule to haul it  ;D ;D ;D Oh well .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #639 on: July 22, 2017, 09:47:50 AM »
Howdy
The 76 still shoots good , I like the 45-60 . It's fun to shoot but not  abusive on the shoulder . I have been at our Hunting cabin late in the afternoon and have noticed a good Deer crop this year .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com