Author Topic: Buscadero holsters versus high riders  (Read 11074 times)

Offline Aces and Eights

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Buscadero holsters versus high riders
« on: April 15, 2005, 10:25:45 PM »
I know - it is personal preference and do what you want ---

but -

There seems to be a high percentage of high sitting holsters (I think) and the TV low riding buscadero rigs are not as prevelant. I may be wrong as a newbie. I grew up with Lash La Rue, Hoppie, Bill Davis and the regulars and kinda like the low hung, tie down, gunfighter look. Then again, if it is a pain in shooting, I am also practical and do like shooting. I don't expect to win matches but don't want to cut off my foot, by purchasing a total handicap.

I hope this makes some sense. For specifics, one can order a well proven Tequila crossdraw rig or a Laredoen (low hung) double with conchos.

I know. Get what you want ---  but some experience and analysis of experienced pluses and minuses would be helpful. Then I can decide to give up "x" advantage to look like a an old time hero - or not. 

What are the long time, well tested experienced thoughts?

Offline Calamity Jane

• Top Active Citizen
    • Calamity Jane's
  • Liked:
Re: Buscadero holsters versus high riders
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 09:40:08 AM »
Whal A&8, I'z got both and use both.

I really try to keep my look "historically correct" so I oughtta be wearing the common high-rider, howsomever . . . .

Wimin tend ta have a different shape (in case ya ain't noticed) 'n' our waist tends ta be higher than fellers. When I first started out with a pair of 7.5" C&B pissols, I couldn't draw me strong side without the pistol grip bein up in me armpit so I switched to a double buscadero rig.

Not only was the buscadero MUCH easier to draw but I found it was a more comfortable ta carry the pistols down on me hips instead of us around me waist. The only down side of a buscadero is ya need ta look fer an armless chair or a stump ta sit on soz yer holsters can hang down each side. My buscadero rig is a Mernickle, so I never needed to use the tie-downs.

Sometimes, when I was usin 5.5" pistols, I'd use the historically correct holsters but I still don't find them as comfortable as the double buscadero. They ain't nearly as FAST as the buscadero neither.

Yer mileage may vary but that's my take on it.

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 09:43:50 AM »
CJ is right, women tend to be happier with lower holsters.  I wear a regular set (non-buscadero) with the belt on my hips.  The holsters drop about 1 1/2 inches from the top of the belt so the guns don't ride quite so high.  This configuration seems to be mighty popular.

For me, this configuration is quite a bit faster than a buscadero style. 

Rigs are a funny thing.  They have to fit you and your ergonomics.

Also, made by Bob Mernicle to my configuration. http://www.mernickleholsters.com/index.htm

Doc

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:11:18 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 01:07:27 PM »
For shooting a game or lookin' pretty on TV or Movies a buscadero rig is fine.  For carrying a gun for real they are the most miserble rig ever designed.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Foothills Drifter

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 04:26:27 PM »
Howdy......
I don't think I ever saw John Wayne wear a buscadero rig....I won't either  ;D

Good shootin......
Vern... 8)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 05:31:58 PM »
Thats cause when ya get on a horse or a 4-wheeler it tries to throw the gun on the ground, even with a hammer thong. ;D  "Sides that it's stuck in one position. :o
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Aces and Eights

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 07:00:04 PM »
For shooting a game or lookin' pretty on TV or Movies a buscadero rig is fine.  For carrying a gun for real they are the most miserble rig ever designed.

Well, I ain't really carrying a 45 for real in the big city and fer going to Court every day. The modern Marshall's with 9mms frown on that kind of thing. I kinda think "for real" is about 110 years late at least in my question. Hunting, I carry a 44 mag and a shoulder holster or a high riding single rig - for the obvious reasons.

I was kinda looking for a comparison of usefulness and fun at a CAS shooting events. Sorry, I just didn't get the "for real" part of your advice.

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 07:59:49 PM »
Depends on you.  I will tell you that there ain't a top shooter around that uses a Buscadero style rig (at least, I've not seem one).  There's a reason for that.

Doc

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 10:08:20 PM »
Round these parts a lot of folks use the same guns and gun rigs fer woods bumming or more often prarie bummin'.   Most working cowboys I meet also carry ruger single-action revolver, either Blackhawk or Vaquaro's, the one's that buy buscadero rigs regret it.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 10:34:18 AM »
I use a pistol belt fer my right pistol and a shotgun belt fer my left pistol. In other words, I use cross belts. This way the guns are less abt to pull your belt (and pants) down.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Aces and Eights

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 10:24:29 PM »
Depends on you.  I will tell you that there ain't a top shooter around that uses a Buscadero style rig (at least, I've not seem one).  There's a reason for that.

Doc

It appears so, but that could mean "top shooters" may be [fill in yerself] and those with silver conchoed, low hung Hoppy rigs on a given Sunday could smile a whole lot more. Just a thought.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 10:48:07 PM »
Delmonico comes in and reads the newest post and laughs that the new guy thinks that all folks accually think a hobby should be fun and enjoyable. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com