Author Topic: A hypothetical handgun caliber question.  (Read 1538 times)

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A hypothetical handgun caliber question.
« on: September 10, 2009, 09:44:25 PM »
Well, I went back into the local pawn shop to drool over the Colt DA Army I had found, and lo and behold, they had lowered the price $100, so I put some down on layaway. Glad I waited an extra day! But just over from it was a nice old Webly-USED to be a .455, but had the cylinder trimmed to use 45auto in half moon clips. Sooooo, my hypothetical question, how could I use something like that? Wouldn't work at all for SASS, I suppose it would work for GAF, with auto rim cartridges, to avoid the half moon clips. But if the GAF shoot was with NCOWS, well, 45 auto rim didn't exist pre 1900, so I suppose it wouldn't work for them. Of course, it's all hypothetical, because I still have to get my 38 bought and paid for before I can make any other plans.

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: A hypothetical handgun caliber question.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 10:05:55 PM »
Don't get hung up on calibers too much with NCOWS.  I am not sure, but I think that the .38special/.357mag that any use was post 1900 as well as .44 special.  And remember that no rifles were origiinaly chambered in .45colt but you will see a bunch as a NCOWS match.  Check with you local club to be sure.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 10:20:21 PM »
If the Webley's a square-butt MkVI - it's not NCOWS approved, even if in the original .455 Eley.

The only approved versions are the ones with the bird's head butts.

Both .45ACP and .45 Auto Rim came about well into the 20th Century.

As to the pawn shop Webley - thousands were modified to accept the more common US round - none officially - but not all of them were done well, so 'if' you're considering buying it - have someone do a thorough check.

Best to buy an unaltered one if you can find it - it'll have far greater collector value and you'll still be able to shoot it.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:09:47 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com