Author Topic: What gear would an 1860 Californio carry with him?  (Read 201937 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
Re: What gear would an 1860 Californio carry with him?
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2010, 01:44:55 PM »
Santa Anna's troops were armed with Brown Bess's when they marched into Texas , Goliad, the Alamo & San Jacinto.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2010, 02:01:02 PM »
And in the mid 1840's against the US during the Mexican War.  The US troops were armed with flintlocks as well, leaving behind the Mod. 1842 percussion musket.  With supply lines long or non-existent, Gen. Scott could not count on caps being available and they were far from waterproof so might not be reliable. 
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2010, 02:24:06 PM »
Dr Bob,

This sounds interesting ... does anyone make a Cap and Ball Colt revolving rifle reproduction  ... and in a perfect world, .44 cal. ?

Dixie Gun Works has / had one in the 1855 military configuration, ca. .44 percussion.  Pricey bugger, but the only one I ever saw was very nice.  Check with them.  Could be they know of a copy of the Paterson type rifles from an earlier time.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #143 on: Today at 09:48:30 PM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2010, 08:23:07 PM »
River City John,

Thank you for your kind thought ... I will try to live up to them.

The gist of it is that I expect to get a lot of "Just what is this Gringo doing trying to be Mexican"
Hence the search for an Anglo coverted Californio (There were a number of them who settled pryor to 1848, converted to Catholicism and became Mexican citizens in order to be 'fit in' and be awarded land grants bigger than Rhode Island ... And then, in 184, the Treaty of Guadelupe-Hidalgo made them all American citizens when California was annexed to the US.)

So all this preparation is so that I won't be a total idiot when the first historically knowledgeable Mexican American tries to take me apart ....

And if I do get any more kind complements, if you could see me you would see a perfect imitation of Wallace Beery ... 'AW, shucks, man, yuh didn' hav tuh go an' do that' ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2010, 01:37:46 AM »
And in the mid 1840's against the US during the Mexican War.  The US troops were armed with flintlocks as well, leaving behind the Mod. 1842 percussion musket.  With supply lines long or non-existent, Gen. Scott could not count on caps being available and they were far from waterproof so might not be reliable.
Not sure where you got that info Bob but it's got some problems:
1) The percussion M1841/2 musket was nicknamed the Mississippi Rifle due to it's use by the troops under Jeff Davis during the Mexican War. Also the the Colt Walker and other percussion cap firearms, including the percussion Hall breechloaders (first prodcued in 1832-33) saw a fair amount of use during the war, especially by Dragoons.
2) Caps were well developed by 1846 and were in fact most often waterproofed (Eley's were considered the best and they were offering waterproofed caps as early as the late 1820's). John J Audobon showed off his percussion gun to a friend in the early-1830's by firing it under water. By the late 1830's millions of caps were being offered for sale in St Louis, New Orleans, et al.
3) Flintlocks need flints to work and the idea that one could just pick up a chunk of an appropriate rock along the way is something of a falsehood. Military flintlock muskets generally had their flints replaced after every 20 shots. Long or non-existent supply lines would have also had an effect on powder and other supplies, including flints. Besides Scott was sent south to Veracruz by sea and was thus supplied from there and not overland from the north as was needed to be done by Taylor and Doniphan. Also during the war American traders continued  their business coming down from the north - Susan Magoffins journal is a good read regarding the traders following in the wake of Doniphan's army in 1847 south to Saltillo.
4) I've got a Potsdam musket (built in 1820, converted to cap in 1843) that was carried west in 1846 with a member of the Missouri brigade who later settled in Northern New Mexico, married a Ute woman, and became a trader to the Utes.
5) The Brits did supply a considerable number of the later model Tower muskets to the Mexicans throughout Mexico and the Spanish Southwest.
6) By 1851-52 American firearms of all types were widely available in California, including the newly produced Sharps breechloaders (BTW - the first viable lever action was the Henry, not the M1866). The idea that the Spanish would not use such improved arms is a bit strange - even Joaquin Murietta, who hated Anglos used a Colt Walker.
As to Bowie Knives, some of the finest ever made were built/sold in San Francisco by such makers as Michael Price. Besides the English in particular had been supplying them throughout the world, but especially the USA by the very early 1830's and the 49'ers brought scads of them west.

While the Spanish Californios did attempt to retain much of their culture, they were not totally reluctant to take up the weapons, tools, and yes even the clothes of the Anglos and then adapt them to their own usage. James Hunt posted a pic in a recent post on overshirts in the NCOWS forum showing two Californios in Spanish style dress with one of them packing a holstered Colt Walker.
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2010, 08:38:02 AM »
Chuck,

As usual, your comments are succint, relevent, and really clear away the haze of what was going on ....

Since my character would have lived on the outskirts of Sacramento, approximately 100 miles (or an overnight steamboat ride) from San Francisco and the Colt distribution center of A.E. Burroughs (sp?), as well as the hometown of Winchester and Main (thought to be the originators of the California Slim Jim holster), I am going to go with a Model 1851 Colt in a Slim Jim holster ... The first shipment of 1851 Colts left New York for San Francisco in April of 1850, so they would have been available (and highly prized) in 1852.

As far as a long gun, as I have said before I am concentrating on a pistol, as I think the long guns would have been for use while on the road and not particularly a 'town weapon'. As such, I would think that a rider who made routine trips into town would have found a safe place to store a long gun and avoid having to fumble with it ...

Since my character would be off his horse on foot for a visit to a hardware store to check on some farming tools on order (That's my story and I'm sticking to it ...), I  am sticking to a leather quirt, the aforementioned 1851 Colt & rig, and a couple of Belduques on my person.
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: January 31, 2010, 09:28:26 AM »
Thanks Chuck - you saved me a helluva lot of typing...

I'll point out to all, that before a blanket statement gets made - please look under the blanket to verify things are as they seem.

At the time frame of this Impression - it's a pretty 'civilized' world - especially for an interpretive guide.

Folks weren't wandering up and down the streets loaded for bear, like they are at a cowboy shoot - it wasn't needed.

The carrying of a revolver or single-shot pistol and a knife would've been most commonly seen, and besides - you want to tell folks about the 'times' and not your toys, and believe me, they 'can' become distractors.

As to the 'Californio' part of things - don't try to become 'Hispanic' - just work within the times and figure out a reasonable 'Anglo' occupation to be doing for one of your age, since you'd've been there awhile.

The clothing and style is going to be fully understandable to one who's actually taking the tour, because it's what was available and styles are followed by everyone, sooner or later, but having a 'backstory' is what's going to solidify your position - so read the newspaper accounts of the times and be more familiar with then-current events and personages and the like, and that'll sell your Impression.

Most folks who take these tours aren't there to sharpshoot the docent - but if said docent isn't up to speed on the area and the era - then they're a legitimate target.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2010, 09:56:22 AM »
St George,

Hmmmm ... newspapers ... looks like I will be spending some time in Davis at Shield's Library ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sacramento_Union

Thanks for the tip ... I have been concentrating on land grants and antique books ... never gave a thought to researching the Microfiche ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2010, 11:11:18 AM »
Knowing something about the Land Grants is useful - knowing more about day-to-day activities in the community is more useful.

Make yourself aware of ship timetables and freighting and politics and people and personages and events.

It'll give a far more interesting talk to folks who actually want to learn more than just what's in the pamphlet.

And - make it simple and intelligible to average folks as well as the more historically-minded.

You can eloquently explain the minute differences of your 'belduque' - but all that most folks will hear is 'knife', as they zone out to wait for something of interest to them...

Keep your topics light and well-rehearsed and 'know' your backstory and individual history, as well as what was happening during the times, so you can flesh things out as-needed - and practice your patter with a couple of guys who'll give you honest feedback, so you can do full justice to your efforts as well as your audience.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: January 31, 2010, 12:56:47 PM »
Excellent ideas ... I have always thought that being a docent is a lot like seeking perfection ... a journey that one never really finishes ...

Freight, rail and ship schedules and abilities would be great to know ... I have a general knowledge of it, but nothing like what a person of the day would have ...

Thanks!

NCOWS #3403

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2010, 01:52:52 PM »
Not sure where you got that info Bob but it's got some problems:
1) The percussion M1841/2 musket was nicknamed the Mississippi Rifle due to it's use by the troops under Jeff Davis during the Mexican War. Also the the Colt Walker and other percussion cap firearms, including the percussion Hall breechloaders (first prodcued in 1832-33) saw a fair amount of use during the war, especially by Dragoons.
2) Caps were well developed by 1846 and were in fact most often waterproofed (Eley's were considered the best and they were offering waterproofed caps as early as the late 1820's). John J Audobon showed off his percussion gun to a friend in the early-1830's by firing it under water. By the late 1830's millions of caps were being offered for sale in St Louis, New Orleans, et al.
3) Flintlocks need flints to work and the idea that one could just pick up a chunk of an appropriate rock along the way is something of a falsehood. Military flintlock muskets generally had their flints replaced after every 20 shots. Long or non-existent supply lines would have also had an effect on powder and other supplies, including flints. Besides Scott was sent south to Veracruz by sea and was thus supplied from there and not overland from the north as was needed to be done by Taylor and Doniphan. Also during the war American traders continued  their business coming down from the north - Susan Magoffins journal is a good read regarding the traders following in the wake of Doniphan's army in 1847 south to Saltillo.
4) I've got a Potsdam musket (built in 1820, converted to cap in 1843) that was carried west in 1846 with a member of the Missouri brigade who later settled in Northern New Mexico, married a Ute woman, and became a trader to the Utes.
5) The Brits did supply a considerable number of the later model Tower muskets to the Mexicans throughout Mexico and the Spanish Southwest.
6) By 1851-52 American firearms of all types were widely available in California, including the newly produced Sharps breechloaders (BTW - the first viable lever action was the Henry, not the M1866). The idea that the Spanish would not use such improved arms is a bit strange - even Joaquin Murietta, who hated Anglos used a Colt Walker.
As to Bowie Knives, some of the finest ever made were built/sold in San Francisco by such makers as Michael Price. Besides the English in particular had been supplying them throughout the world, but especially the USA by the very early 1830's and the 49'ers brought scads of them west.

While the Spanish Californios did attempt to retain much of their culture, they were not totally reluctant to take up the weapons, tools, and yes even the clothes of the Anglos and then adapt them to their own usage. James Hunt posted a pic in a recent post on overshirts in the NCOWS forum showing two Californios in Spanish style dress with one of them packing a holstered Colt Walker.

Chuck,

I have been a Mexican War reenactor for 20 years and have done extensive research on most aspects of the war.  Jeff Davis was commander of the 1st Mississippi Regt. which was a State unit, armed by the state, not a Regt. raised by the US Army.  The Regiments of the regular Army were indeed armed with flintlocks.  The Dragoons did have some halls carbines.  I was only reporting what I learned reading around 20 books on the war and spend numerous days at the Frontier Army Museum at Ft. Leavenworth which covers the Army from 1800 to 1916.  Yes, some units were armed with percussion arms, but they were in the minority. 
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2010, 02:10:50 PM »
Regulars would've had percussion weapons, while Militia and Volunteers would've had the older, cast-off flintlocks handed down by the Regular Army.

That said - another aspect of the impression that's useful is going to be 'money'...

There were a number of private banks that issued coinage and notes of legal tender.

Find yourself a supplier of some replica coins and bills and carry them in a vest pocket or pouch - and well-selected 'Fool's gold' can double as 'dust'.

You can even photocopy the bills along with a bit of information and give them as hand-outs to kids.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #152 on: January 31, 2010, 04:04:27 PM »
Chuck,

I have been a Mexican War reenactor for 20 years and have done extensive research on most aspects of the war.  Jeff Davis was commander of the 1st Mississippi Regt. which was a State unit, armed by the state, not a Regt. raised by the US Army.  The Regiments of the regular Army were indeed armed with flintlocks.  The Dragoons did have some halls carbines.  I was only reporting what I learned reading around 20 books on the war and spend numerous days at the Frontier Army Museum at Ft. Leavenworth which covers the Army from 1800 to 1916.  Yes, some units were armed with percussion arms, but they were in the minority. 

Bob is basically correct.  The regular army infantry were armed with flintlock muskets for the Mexican war.  The dragoons were issued Hall's breech loading percussion carbines and the Mounted Rifles were armed with the "new" percussion model 1841 rifles.  The 1841s were also issued to the 1st Mississippi Rifles who used them to great effect at the battle of Buena Vista.  That is where the 1841 got its nickname "The Mississippi Rifle."

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: January 31, 2010, 06:21:12 PM »
"The infantry under General Taylor was armed with flint-lock muskets, and paper cartridges charged with powder, buck-shot and ball." The Mesican-American War 1846-1848,Osprey Men-At-Arms Series #56, London, 1976, pg 12. 

As the volunteer reenactment of the Frontier Army Museum, the infantry were armed with Mod. 1835 Flintlock muskets [reproduction - personally owned].  This is the correct arm for the Infantry of the US Army for the Mexican War!  The infantry with General Scott were aremed with them too!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: January 31, 2010, 07:34:12 PM »
WWE,
I didn't think you were being combative at all. Sometimes I use language like that ("this is not a challenge") merely to make sure *I* am not looking combative. That's all.

;-)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: January 31, 2010, 10:51:12 PM »
Kflach,

I understand entirely; it is so easy to be taken as sarcastic and litteral when one is making a joke ....

In fact, my last comment to you was of that ilk ... that we are on the same page on this ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2010, 11:15:41 AM »
WWE,
If you are still trying to find out some info about ranchos in the Sacramento area, see if you can track down anything on "Rancho San Juan"  It was an 1844 land grant, of several thousand acres.  It pretty much took up the whole northeast corner of Sacto County.  It covered the area between the present Highway 50 and I-80:  Fair Oaks (I grew up there), Orangevale, Citrus Heights, Carmichael and Folsom - pretty much everything north of the American river, up to around the Roseville/Loomis area.  Don't know if there was a "main hacienda"; I seem to remember the owner/ patrón did not actually live there.  I always thought it unusual that the main market for cattle in California in those days was NOT beef, but hides and tallow.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2010, 12:39:32 AM »
Guns Garrett,

I am looking for a peculiarity ... my spreckled Spanish would not last for more than a minute or so. So the perfect persona, both from a historical and personal viewpoint, would be to emulate one of the many Yanquis who came to California prior to the Treaty of Guadelupe-Hidalgo in 1848, and married into a Spanish family, becoming Catholic and a Mexican Citizen. As such, their Spanish would not have to be perfect, and they would have one foot in both worlds, as a Yanqui turned Mexican Citizen who was repatriated back to American citizenship after the 1848 treaty.

Finding land grants in this area is fairly easy. Besides Sutter, there was a land grant that held most of what is now West Sacramento and Davis. I thought I had found my identity in Jared Sheldon ... but he was shot by miners and killed a year before I would be reenacting ....

Jared Dixon Sheldon, one of our earliest pioneers and originally from Vermont, came to California in 1832 and at some point afterward became a Mexican citizen. In 1842, Thomas Larkin, who was then the American Consul to Mexico, was awarded the contract for expansion and improvement of the Customs House in Monterey, which had been built in 1827. Jared Sheldon worked on this project for Thomas Larkin. Based on the size of the land grant he received as payment for services to the Mexican government on this project it could be assumed he was a foreman. He was granted Omochumnes Rancho, nearly 14,000 acres near present day Sloughhouse and Rancho Murieta, in 1843 for his work. It was there that he and friend William Daylor built a grist mill in 1845 to mill wheat for Capt. John Sutter on the Cosumnes River. To supply water to his crops south of the river he built a dam 16-ft high, double-walled of heavy oak, and filled with large stones. On July 12, 1851 he was shot and killed by 40 to 100 angry miners in the river below his dam. Also killed in the shootout were 2 of Sheldon’s 12 friends, James M. Johnson of Iowa and Edward Cody of Illinois. Three men were wounded, including a miner. The prevailing miners destroyed the sluice gate in the dam. They had unrecorded gold mining claims in the river-bottom on Sheldon’s land, which would be flooded by the rising water upstream from the dam. Subsequent floods continued the dam’s destruction, and hydraulic mining in Michigan Bar buried the remnants in silt. Public right of access to California streams was not clarified until 1879. This display shows how the mill worked and pictures of the remains of the mill. Various parts of the mill are now on display at the Heritage Park in effort to help preserve this part of our rich heritage. Plans are underway, as funding allows, to create a working model of Sheldon's Grist Mill.

So far, I have not found such a person .....

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: March 23, 2010, 09:43:22 AM »
Hi Y'all,

I was putzing on the internet and came upon this painting named 'California Tandem' ... Here it is:

NCOWS #3403

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: March 23, 2010, 12:19:53 PM »
Got the dreaded RED X. :( :(
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk