Author Topic: footgear question  (Read 2281 times)

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
footgear question
« on: August 10, 2009, 08:27:15 PM »
I need some information on allowable footgear for GAF. I will probably be depicting infantry, or other non-cavalry, because I have to wear orthotic insoles in my shoes, and they just don't work with boots. So all my boots are retired now, and I usually wear plain black ankle high work shoes, but of course they have the dreaded"grip enhancing" vibram soles. Would they be acceptable, since they would be mostly covered by leggins anyway?

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: footgear question
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 08:58:33 PM »
We do not "require" uniforms.  We encourage them, but you do not have to have one. We do like you to make an effort if possible. Partial, field expediancy, irregular and "Hollywood" are all recognized.  My shoes are former USN rubber soled "Boondockers".  They look right.  Thats about it.  We are not stitch counters.  It may be an issue in the uniform judgeing someday, but not in the shooting. 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 09:03:43 PM »
Tha's good then. I want to start working on the uniform, not just my usual CAS clothes. So for  now, I'll start with the larger items, and leave my feet alone for now!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:30:57 AM »

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 09:59:31 PM »
As Col. Drydock said we don't require uniforms and members who choose to wear one are given quite a bit of latitude.
I might make one suggestion though, should you someday decide to get a period correct uniform.
One day I was visiting with a guest at Fort Hartsuff and he asked me about my M-1872 army shoes and where I got them. I told him that they came from Missouri Boot and Shoe(which is also where I got my M-1876 boots shown in my avatar). He then asked, "Missouri Boot and Shoe, from Neosho Missouri?" and I said Yes and asked him if he'd heard of them. At that point he related how he'd had one foot terribly mangled in a farm accident and has to wear custom made boots because of it. Missouri Boot and Shoe is who makes his boots. So maybe they'd make a pair of period army boots with you orthotic devices built in.  ::) ??? They wouldn't be cheap but they'd be comfortable.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 10:42:59 PM »
Considering the terrain that some of the stages had us moving through, your safety and confidence as far as footing is of primary importance.
Not that we were running up and down hills, but here and there we walked up cowpaths to get to a firing position.

Your participation is far more important than the details of your clothing.

I guarantee you, once you are within the setting of Ft. Hartsuff and you see some of the men and women in uniform, it will inspire you.

RCJ   
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 11:42:18 PM »
Just a note, by the late 1880s with the adoption of Leggings, the cavalry and infantry arms wore the same shoes, basicly an ankle height shoe or "Bootee".  The high boots were no longer issued, though officers could and did private purchase their own.  Most preferred the lighter, cooler shoe and legging combination.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 08:00:50 AM »
I can only wear boots part of the time. I bought 2 pair of Fugawees to wear with my uniforms, a black pair for the Union and a brown pair for the CSA. They run about a Hundred bucks a pair.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 03:08:21 PM »
Missouri Boot and Shoe

Robert Land Historic Shoes

Pony, both of these vendors will be glad to work with you to get you comfortable, correct footwear.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vĂȘtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com