Author Topic: Advice Needed on a Spur Strap  (Read 23903 times)

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Advice Needed on a Spur Strap
« on: July 12, 2009, 08:15:34 PM »
Howdy all. As you can see by the picture, I have a pretty plain lookiing boot. Foot problems haven't provided me with a lot of options. At this point, function and fit win over style.

I would like to add spurs with a good looking strap, but I'm not sure how they would attach to this style of boot. I have zero experience with spurs, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, this is a size 13 EE boot. Thanks guys, JD

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Offline RollingThunder

• Top Active Citizen
  • RollingThunder
  • Liked:
Re: Advice Needed on a Spur Strap
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
Parson, you got yourself a big set of frog stompers there. With that style of boot, you have a good spur counter (or ledge) on the back. The spur would rest on that, and go along the ledge around. For a book like that, I would recommend a one-piece dove wing. The wider leather would be much more comfortable, and you wouldn't need the spur to grip the boot at all.
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 10:17:09 PM »
RT, I almost sent you a PM instead of posting this, so thank you for weighing in. You make awesome spur straps, so I knew I could count on you!. Not having any spur experience (I've had horses, but never used spurs) it seems to me that with the shaft of this boot being how it is, that the spurs would just ride up.

I'm also assuming that spurs come in various widths, to accomodate various heel widths. I think I remember seeing a chain on some spurs running underneath the boot.

So, any thoughts on a good place to buy some spurs? Mostly I want the spurs to be able to have some good looking straps. Thanks! JD 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:42:40 AM »

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 08:42:53 AM »
Sure hope somone can recommend a good place to get spurs that will fit, as RT calls them  "A big set of Frog Hoppers"

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 09:31:19 AM »
JD,

The spurs can be pounded out to 'adjust' them with a nylon mallet and a standard vise ... at least that is how I 'adjusted' mine ... and they should sit on the shelf provided by the sole of the boot at the heel. The strap is just to keep the spur from coming off backwards.

The problem I feel you are going to have is trying to get wide enough spur straps. I wear a 10 & 1/2 -11D, and I find that the wide part of the spur strap is over the 'outside' portion of my feet, and not protecting the instep as I would imagine they would.

I know my next set will be from a custom leather person. Perhaps that is the route to take first for you, and save you having to replaced straps that do not fit....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 09:49:14 AM »
I've been reading a little bit about "Adjusting" the spread, if you will, of the spurs. I guess you need to be careful doing that (Duh) I plan to make my own straps, or I might see if I can get RT to make me a set. I don't think I can come close to his quality with my current skilll set, and I would rather buy a set from him. If you haven't seen his spur straps, they are flat out amazing in color, design, and workmanship.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 11:23:58 AM »
JD,

I knew these spurs would not be being used for their real purpose ( I am allergic, seriously allergic to cats and horses), so I bought the cheapest spurs I could find.

So I had no problem with spreading them by putting them on an anvil and 'spreading' them with a nylon faced mallet. I think a scrap of leather between the spur and the anvil would make a less scratching situation, but would probably mean that one had to hammer harder ....

Here is a pic of the original spurs that I 'spread'...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 11:44:09 AM »
That is a good looking boot-spur-strap combo Skip. I wish I could wear that syle of boot still, because I have a half dozen pairs in the closet. Diabetes has done a number on my feet, and I just can't spend any time in those things any more.

I do have a pair of lace ups that I've added some silver and horsehair kilties to that look OK, but I'd like the option of spurs and straps as well, and the boot I have pictured is the more comfortable of the two, standing in a rock quarry all day. The Tri County Gun Club, where I shoot most of the time, is based in a working quarry. It's like standing on cement all day, only sharp and bumpy too.

I'm fairly sure Rolling Thunder will weigh in on this thread again, so I can talk to him about some straps.

God bless Skip, and thanks for thaking time on this thread. JD

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 12:12:45 PM »
JD,

It is always a pleasure to join in with a group you are in ... just by who you hang out with, I can be sure of good company.

Where I shoot is part of a Rod & Gun club ... and the clay soil was amended with sharp stone to make it less muddy in wet weather. Sometimes I can feel every stone I have my forefeet on .... I am thinking I am one season out of Ropers myself.

I bought those boots off of Craigslist for $30 ... and if it has a working sensible toe box, I can be comfortable in a 10 &1/2 ... but if it has those 'cockroach killer' toes, I need a size 11.

As soon as I find a comfy pair of black cowboy boots, I think these are going to become dress sunday-go-to-meetings boots ... something where they have to look good but you know you will be sitting most of the time ... LOL

NCOWS #3403

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 06:19:12 AM »
Thanks for the spur link Skip, I will check it out. There are a couple places locally that sell spurs, but they are upwards of $100.00 show spurs. I think I'm going to have to choose a spur, then fit it my clod hopper, then measure for a strap. Can't get the cart before the horse, so to speak.
I'm still waiting for Rolling Thunder to chime in again regarding making some straps

Thanks, JD 

Offline RollingThunder

• Top Active Citizen
  • RollingThunder
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 09:48:57 AM »
Sorry so tardy in respondin' parson. Had to go to the sawbones yesterday, and that sorta took it out of me.

I responded with your email, but to enlighten others here, you don't want your spurs really clamped down on your foot. It will cause some issues with the lower side of your heel if you do. The lowers on your book flex for a reason, and that's because your foot does too. It's also the reason that your boot has a spur counter on it. The spur should fit snugly to the boot, and rest on that counter. Boots without a counter weren't meant to be used with spurs.

My Olathe riding boots have them (18" shaft - SUPER COMFortable!), and my Ariat lacers do as well. I use buckle-ups with the lacers and a one-piece on my Olathes. The spur, if made correctly, doesn't ride up on the boot. The weight of the spur actually holds it against your counter.

When riding a horse, you will actually rattle your spur to get his attention before going to the spur as a refinement, simply to get the horse's attention.

I recommend Joe Spiller for your spurs. He's not cheap, but his stuff is amazingly made, beautifully crafted, and simply put, built to withstand the working cowboy. Should be no hill for a stepper for your chores, Parson.

If you still need inexpensive, TSC has several in the 20-50 dollar range.

And yes, I have time to make your some straps, pard. Send me a PM about the straps I sent you pics of.

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 11:47:29 AM »
Thanks RT.I received the PM, and sent you one back.

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 04:35:50 PM »
OK, now I have some spurs. What you see is 9 oz leather, 12 inches from post to post. The posts themselves are 5/16 inch in diameter. I have no idea of what a "standard" length spur strap would be, and if it is long enough. What do you say? Thanks, JD

Offline cowboy316

• Top Active Citizen
    • http://wildwestcustom-leatherworks.webs.com/
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 04:44:04 PM »
JD
looks like a good start to mecan you still slip you foot in with out geting bound up at the ankle if you cant slip it on fairly easy you might have to make the strap a tad longer
just my .02 cents worth
  Cowboy316

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 05:45:53 PM »
Thank you friend, I appreciate that observation. I should slip my big foot in there to make sure it fits with that strap. I tried it with the spur, without the strap, and it's fine. I think 9oz leather is heavier that what most would use for a spur strap, but I had that piece lying around, and I needed to take a measurement.  JD

Offline RollingThunder

• Top Active Citizen
  • RollingThunder
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 05:48:50 PM »
8-9 oz. is what I use, actually. I don't like making lightweight gear if I know it's gonna get used and abused. LOL.

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 06:21:36 PM »
8-9oz is fine by me RT. How does the length sound? Thanks, JD

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 06:34:07 PM »
JD, I have not been shooting to much over the last few years but on those occasions that I do get out, the diabetes takes precedence over foot wear appearance.  Now days if I go play AND am feeling real costumy, I will wear brogans with the pants outside and a pair of long Botas as more insurance.  I am sure that losing 60 pounds would make boots and spurs do-able again but what can I say??  Some years back one of the outfits, Hidecrafters I think, sent me a few pre-cut spur strap kits(?) and if they are long enough I will send some your way.        

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 06:55:31 PM »
Thanks Bob, I appreciate that.

I know someone else who could stand to lose 60 pounds ;D I haven't seen 200 pounds since before I was married in 1977. I think I was about 215. At 6'1" I could have shed a good 20 or 30 pre wedding, but I was almost 28 years old, and was pretty well settled into who-what I was.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 09:54:13 AM »
Hi,

I can feel the pain about diabetes ... it is causal to the end of life down both my family trees ... and I am always fighting against weight ... Oscar Wilde said once, "I can resist anything but temptation" That fits me to a T ... don't dare buy tubs of ice cream or cookies, 'cause no matter the size it won't last more time that the moment it is opened ... LOL. Too many is the time I have sat down to watch a good movie with a brand new gallon of ice cream, and when the movie is over, the tub is empty ....

I am fortunate that I live in an extremely bicycle-friendly city, and do most of my commuting and chores by bike. Unless I need a 'buro to haul the stuff I am getting ... then my little donkey/VW Jetta has to be pulled out.

I think I mentioned before that this is probably my last year in cowboy boots ... next year it will be ropers and botas for me too ... I have even spoke to Chuck Burrows about getting some botas made ....

Looks like I am going to have to set up a fund for new botas and ropers ....

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com