Author Topic: Original Vaquero Question  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Original Vaquero Question
« on: July 12, 2009, 05:43:24 PM »
Think I did well at a gunshow this week. Found an original Vaquero for $350, mint except for a faint cylinder ring. Grips are either polished walnut or perhaps rosewood. It appears to have had an action job and the case colors, unlike recent Vaqueros, look like those on a Uberti. The bluing also seems higher polish than recent  Vaqueros. The serial number indicates gun was 2nd year of production or 1994. Did the original guns differ from more recent ones or has my gun likely to have been refinished in addition to the action job

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Original Vaquero Question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 08:00:59 AM »
It's hard to answer the question without actually seeing the gun but a few thoughts on Vaquero finnishes.  The bluing on them has always been of fairly high quality.  The color cased frames are done by applying a "color case finish" to them.  It's not real color case hardening.  The quality of color case hardening can vary depending on the type of process used, i.e., if bone fragments are used in the process or not.
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 02:18:23 PM »
From what I have found out on another forum,the earlier guns did have a more pleasing case-hardening than current ones and I thnk the bluing was a bit better as well. Thank you.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:28:32 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com