Author Topic: Rough Rider stuff spotted in DC...  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rough Rider stuff spotted in DC...
« on: June 14, 2009, 09:23:44 PM »
I'm in DC on business and will upload the photos as soon as I get back, but I spotted some Rough Rider items:
At the National Museum of US History, the "America in Conflict" section has a Span-Am section with a small case. In it, there was one of the troop guidons for the 1st USV Cav, and in front of that, Leonard Wood's M98 coat! It must have been from when he got his star and got back as it's the dark blue staff trim.
Today at the NRA Museum, I saw one of the documented USV revolvers, which I had no idea was there!
Photos once I return to the home post.

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Rough Rider stuff spotted in DC...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 01:43:03 PM »
Today at the NRA Museum, I saw one of the documented USV revolvers, which I had no idea was there!
Photos once I return to the home post.

Outstanding Sir!

The revolver may have only recently been displayed as most museums have many items donated/acquired that are locked away but would make for most significant displays.

For example, Admiral Farragut's Colt and Remington revolvers were discovered in the 1980s, rusting in the basement of the Smithsonian! They had been donated by his daughter for all to see, only to be cast aside.

Seems that some of us need to be employed by the firearms sections of some of these museums!

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 08:36:17 PM »
Went to Arlington today and got photos of the USS Maine memorial, Rough Rider memorial (which was a long hike back there), stumbled across Leonard Wood's large headstone which has a really neat representation of his MoH on it. Plenty of 1st USV Cav folks burined there as well...

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:23:12 AM »

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 10:25:04 PM »
Nice work, Captain!
MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 07:21:24 AM »
If you ever get the opportunity while in DC to take the West Wing tour (typically given by the Mil and Agency GS-14/O-5 lvl staff) you need too.

The historical stuff that the general public will never see is amazing - the Teddy Rough Rider picture on his horse and his MOH were some of the high points for me.

as well as paintings by remington and others.

The tour of the Eisenhower building is also awesome for those wih interest in history

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 04:53:48 PM »
Photos as promised.

Trooper Bishop's (no relation, darn it) documented pistol:

Never seen one of these with officer cords before:

Arlington:

Detail of the MoH on GEN Wood's grave:

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 10:43:04 PM »
Nice work, Captain.  It is a grand display, to say the least.  Thank you!

BTW:
Our Nebraska State Arsenal Museum has nothing in the way of Spanish American War exhibits.  But we have everything else from the Civil War on up through the War On Terror.   ??? ??? ??? 
Since I am now a life member, I reckon I will see what I can dig up to start at least a small display. 
Heck, our little village has at least 10 Span Am vets listed on the Honor Roll, so we KNOW some went to war from Nebraska.

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 08:51:59 AM »
As a relatively new SAW collector, I thank you for these great pictures.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 10:05:37 AM »
Nice work, Captain.  It is a grand display, to say the least.  Thank you!

BTW:
Our Nebraska State Arsenal Museum has nothing in the way of Spanish American War exhibits.  But we have everything else from the Civil War on up through the War On Terror.   ??? ??? ??? 
Since I am now a life member, I reckon I will see what I can dig up to start at least a small display. 
Heck, our little village has at least 10 Span Am vets listed on the Honor Roll, so we KNOW some went to war from Nebraska.

MG

MG,
I have several letters written on colorful patriotic stationary from volunteer Harry Hall in Co. A, 1st Nebr. Vol. Regt., to my GGParents (who lived in York, NE) from Manilla in the Philippine Isles dated 1898.

As typical of any war in the 19th cent. it describes far more misery and deaths from disease than combat.
 "This is a horrible place. Excuse me but it is the only way to express it. As long as we are Uncle Sam's dogs and stay here it is a living Hell."

More about conditions and neglect, noting of prices for fresh food to supplement poor rations, and sadly, naming of hometown boys known to my GGParents who are buried in the graveyard outside the hospital.

You're right, it is unusual that there would be that kind of a gap in their collections as there was a strong Nebraska presence in that conflict.

RCJ     
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com