Author Topic: Openin' one up..  (Read 4095 times)

Offline Hard Mouth

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Openin' one up..
« on: March 17, 2005, 10:05:32 PM »
Hey Y'all,

My Daddy's got an original SRC he got from his Grandaddy. Not a shooter, just a corner sitter, but it seems to have a busted spring somewhere. Not sure yet the exact symptom, but before I dig in, are there any minefields to be aware of before I open her up? Seems the action works OK, something about the hammer/trigger relationship. I gotta imagine these are pretty straight-forward machines, but I don't need anything going "sproing" ("Damn, don't walk over there, Mom. I gotta comb the carpet!!")
Any resources for how to work on these?

I 'member as a small child totin' this heavywieght down the hallway to my classroom for "Show and Tell". Guess stuff like that don't happen much these days...

Any hep much 'preciated.
Hard Mouth

Offline bobnssa#37

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Openin' one up..
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 10:20:13 AM »
check the bore ,if it  still has good rifling   it probably can be made to shoot.I can't think of anything  that would be more exciting than shooting  the spencer my great grandfather shot .other source  for parts is Lodgewood  these would be original parts   contact at   lodgewd@idcnet.com..Good luck   and I think you willbe surprised   about  its shootability.
                                                                Bob

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 10:47:28 AM »
Hi,

What about www.ssfirearms.com , and www.romanorifle.com   They both do work on Spencers they may have any needed parts.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:58:24 AM »

Offline Fighting Bob Evans

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 06:49:44 PM »
I believe JossHouse has pretty much nailed it. When I took my Spencer apart I just needed a screw driver and I paid close attention to how it was put together as I took it apart. It's always a good idea to take it apart over some sort of a ground cloth so that parts don't fall between the cracks, get lost in the shag carpet, etc.

Offline Greg Edington

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 09:44:34 PM »
Hard Mouth,

The insides of a Spencer's lock plate is pretty much set up like Sharps, and many of the lock parts from original CW Sharps rifles and carbines will interchange with the Spencer with little or no fitting.  Hard Mouth if you need a schematic for the Spencer lock just use the one for the Sharps as a guide.  The  mainspring that operates the hammer also works the trigger with a different leg of the "V" spring on the Spencer.   I would just set the Spencer on some newspaper, and remove the lock with a good grade hollow ground screwdriver whose tip fits the side lock screws.  I hope the info helps.

Best Wishes Pard:

Greg Edington.   8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com