Author Topic: Proud new owner of a Spencer.  (Read 4369 times)

Offline Capt. Texas Elliot

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Proud new owner of a Spencer.
« on: May 21, 2009, 07:30:27 PM »
Well it was a long drawn out process but I picked up my Spencer on Wednesday. They can be a bit hard to get down here in Australia but I was lucky and a local shop had two carbines left. I put a deposit doen back in March and finally payed it off a couple of weeks ago. My lovely wife Michelle got it for me as a birthday present.

This is a .45Colt carbine.

I had some .45 loaded up that a friend gave me so I ducked up the back paddock yesterday and put some through it. Not sure of the loads but they were cowboy loads. Some were blackpowder and some were smokeless and I much prefer the blackpowder.

The carbine fed the loads and extracted beautifully and is an absolute pleasure to shoot. I won't be the fastest on the line but style points are huge.

I want to shoot Holy Black and only Holy Black through it and was wondering if there were any major issues or tips?
Just fill the case with Black, compress and away I go? I'm sure there is more to it than that  ;)

I have a pair of '75 Remingtons in .357 but I think next on the shopping list will be a pair of '58 Remington C&B's in .44 to compliment the beauty that is the Spencer.

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Proud new owner of a Spencer.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 10:17:27 PM »
fist thing to do is locktight firing pin screws in,you will have a few problems but they are easily fixed,need any help get in touch with me i have been playing with replicas since they first came out and originals for years before that,had no experinc with 45 colt cartrige though

Offline Hard Mouth

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 11:35:01 PM »
Capt. Elliot,

While I like my Remingtons just a bunch, a pair of Rogers & Spencers might just suit the carbine also.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:40:50 PM »

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 06:36:42 PM »
Thanks for the offer Herbert. I'll probably take you up on it at some stage  ;D

Where abouts are you based? We are out near Bathurst NSW.

Hiya Hard Mouth, not sure I can afford a pair of Rogers and Spencers  ;) Getting the Spencer has pretty much cleaned us out for a little bit.

Offline El Tigre

• Very Active Citizen
  • go towards the sun , your shadow will behind you
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 12:17:15 AM »

I want to shoot Holy Black and only Holy Black through it and was wondering if there were any major issues or tips?
Just fill the case with Black, compress and away I go? I'm sure there is more to it than that  ;)

With Holy Black you means Black Powder ?
If yes, you have to pay attention to some specials related to Black Powder.
1.   Powder must be filled in the Brass by using a drop tube. This will ensure to have much powder in as possible
2.   Black powder does not like to be compressed. That’s why you have to use the drop tube.
3.   Take powder with little corn structure like Schweizer 1. It will give more power
4.   Take the right bullet. Grease groves are very important. Also you have to use the right grease like SPG.
5.   After shooting clean the Brass with water and some soap to prevent any corrosion which will destroy  the Brass
6.   Clean also the Rifle. I am using a mixture of Water and Alcohol. 50/50. It works very well since the last 20 years I am shooting with Black Powder.

El Tigre  ;)

Regards out of Germany

Offline Appalachian Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Appalachian Ed------ NCOWS N-SSA/CSA - 2nd KY
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 08:40:47 AM »
With all due respect to the previous post.

1. BP does not HAVE to be dropped through a drop tube. It will allow more powder and better "stacking" of the grains. But this only really matters in long cases like 45-70, -100, and such. It is not at all needed in a 56-50.
2. BP does do well with compression. Many BPCR shooters, to include myself, use a compression die with BP. Slight compression when seating the bullet is fine for a 56-50.

Really with the smaller calibers like the 56-50, just a full case of BP with slight compression from bullet seating, or even a bit lighter load with some corn meal filler will yield good results. An appropriate bullet for BP with good deep grease grooves is the most important.
Drop tubes and compression dies are a waist of time with the 56-50.

Buy American, shoot Goex. ;D ;D ;D

-Ed
"We believed then that we were right and we believe now that we were right then."
- John H. Lewis, 9th Va. Infantry

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 06:04:55 AM »
Some quick pics from todays show. Had a great day.

New Spencer Carbine.

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 09:36:22 PM »
Those are some fantastic photos, and excellent outfits all the way around. Looks like everyone is having a good time. Where were these taken, and what was the occasion, if you don't mind my asking?

Offline El Tigre

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 11:48:33 PM »
With all due respect to the previous post.

1. BP does not HAVE to be dropped through a drop tube. It will allow more powder and better "stacking" of the grains. But this only really matters in long cases like 45-70, -100, and such. It is not at all needed in a 56-50.
2. BP does do well with compression. Many BPCR shooters, to include myself, use a compression die with BP. Slight compression when seating the bullet is fine for a 56-50.

Really with the smaller calibers like the 56-50, just a full case of BP with slight compression from bullet seating, or even a bit lighter load with some corn meal filler will yield good results. An appropriate bullet for BP with good deep grease grooves is the most important.
Drop tubes and compression dies are a waist of time with the 56-50.

Buy American, shoot Goex. ;D ;D ;D

-Ed

My experience I have is with 45-120. You may be right with 56-50. I will have my new Spencer this week and I will try to load some rounds like you described.

Offline El Tigre

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 11:53:01 PM »
Some quick pics from todays show. Had a great day.

That are really beautiful pictures and outfit !!!!
Hope to have the chance to visit one time Australia.
You can be happy.

Regards from Germany

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 02:28:03 AM »
I use a drop tube for the 56-50 but only with the Dakota Widowmaker bullet as it's the only way to get a true 45 gr. BP in the Starline case. I do it sloooowwwlllyyy and the bullet still compresses the powder a little. I only do this as I like the "ZING!!!" of the original load. Actually, GOEX likes a LOT of compression and shoots better that way. Defies science but it works. I do not drop tube when using the Rapine 350-T bullet for CAS shooting as it's a waste of time as mentioned.

Those 45. gr. FFg Dakota Widowmaker loads sure hit hard!!!  :o

Offline El Tigre

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 12:51:13 AM »
I use a drop tube for the 56-50 but only with the Dakota Widowmaker bullet as it's the only way to get a true 45 gr. BP in the Starline case. I do it sloooowwwlllyyy and the bullet still compresses the powder a little. I only do this as I like the "ZING!!!" of the original load. Actually, GOEX likes a LOT of compression and shoots better that way. Defies science but it works. I do not drop tube when using the Rapine 350-T bullet for CAS shooting as it's a waste of time as mentioned.

Those 45. gr. FFg Dakota Widowmaker loads sure hit hard!!!  :o

My new Spencer will arrive this week. I also ordered the Rapine 350. Hope that I can be at the line next week. I will post the results.

El Tigre

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 04:05:02 AM »
El Tigre,

Please post your results in ENGLISH, only ;D ;D ;D

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline El Tigre

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 01:53:56 AM »
El Tigre,

Please post your results in ENGLISH, only ;D ;D ;D

Two Flints

That will be a hard job to translate the German picture of the paper target into an English version. ;D ;D ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com