Author Topic: Reenacting with a Spencer  (Read 6031 times)

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Reenacting with a Spencer
« on: March 15, 2005, 01:11:29 PM »
Two flints
   I am now registered and as per you e-mail instructions I am letting you know.  Also if anyone out there wants to use a Spencer for reenacting here is an article about it you might find useful.
http://www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com/spencer_article.html
Terry
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Reenacting with a Spencer
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 10:29:38 AM »
Major,

How about some recommendations for sources of equipment that would work with Spencers...for example the Blakeslee Cartridge holder.  I know there are several places where repros can be purchased, but is one better quality than another, or all the same.  Wh makes the best repro?

I just picked up a  carbine sling with swivels that is similar to many photos I have seen.  Buying on the internet and getting something that is authentic looking is difficult.  What about the Blakeslee - who is a good source?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 09:27:29 PM »
I am glad that those of you that have read my article have enjoyed it, it was a labor of love.
As far as the Blakeslee box goes….Your standard Blakeslee box had some inherent problems.  First the six tube version just could not carry enough ammunition to make it practical and the 13 tube version was way too heavy.  Second it was awkward and tended to flop around a lot.  Third and probably the biggest problem was that in high humidity the wood block would swell and the tubes would stick making them impossible to get out of the box.  I know that this is a problem because I have encountered it with my box, that is why for blanks I went to paper tubes.
But if you want a good box with good stitching and good leather than the ones that Romano has are the best.  They are made by Bob Stanley a guy from Niagara Falls that has been doing leather work for over 50 years and he knows what he is doing.  He uses high quality leather and 4 cord linen thread with a special wax coating, the formula for which he copied from the official records specifications.  Most of my leather gear comes from Bob and I am extremely happy with it.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:51:38 PM »

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 08:36:53 AM »
Major,

How about prices for the ones made by Bob S.  And do you order through Romano directly?  Do you know how his Blakeslees compare with the ones made by:  http://www.CivilWarLeather.com?  Just curious.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 12:04:15 PM »
Jim Kenner and I developed the ones Civil War Leather is selling. In fact, I still carry the prototype. Larry Romano's boxes are made to the original patent drawings, Jim's are made after the production version. The difference is in the top hinge and latch. Jim and I spent a lot of time in the Arizona Historical Society basement measuring and photographing originals for all of his reproductions. He is a real craftsman.

The Blakslee is a pain on horseback! You have to get it on just right or it winds up getting between your behind and the back of the saddle (assuming you are riding a McClellan). Not comforatable, especially at a trot or canter! It's almost impossible to get the strap adjusted so that the box is supported when mounted, and not too tight when dismounted. I can imagine that a lot of Blakslees got strapped to the cantle right next to the saber that the trooper was also supposed to be wearing.

Dismounted it works very well. At one N-SSA national, shooting a '60 rifle, I fired 8 rounds, got 6 hits, had reloaded from the Blakslee and was drawing aim on the last target when someone else got it. All in 45 seconds!     

Harve Curry

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 11:23:29 PM »
Blanks:
I was told that 8mm Lebel blanks would work and feed throught the Spencer 56-50. I was given a few to try and they wouldn't feed for me, but they fired good.
Here's what was done to the samples I have. 8mm Lebel blanks are already loaded with black powder and a wooden bullet for a plug. Tubing cutter was used to cut the case behind the wood bullet, this also rolls the case in some. Let some powder out and plug with cream of wheat, foam, or other suitable material.
These are berdan primed and corrosive mercuric primers. So you need to clean the barrel ...

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 05:50:43 PM »
Anyone have any experience with this item?
SPENCER CARTRIDGE BOX & SLING # 2196 $99.95
http://www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg3a.html

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 01:25:57 PM »
The Blakelee Boxes by Blockade runner and S&S are pretty chinsy, made in Pakistan.  The ones made by Civil Wat Reproductions <http://www.civilwarleather.com/cw112.html> are US made, exact copies and VERY good.!  They run $215 for 6 tube, and $225 for 10 tube.  I have a 10 tube I am selling for $200 including shipping.  Daughter getting married and selling all that is not nailed down.

contact me of list <imacowboy@direcway.com>

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN SSS#43
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Steel-eye Steve

• Very Active Citizen
    • 1st Wisconsin Cavalry
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 01:52:59 PM »
Arizona Trooper pretty much sums up using a Blakeslee on horseback. I would just add that they have a tendency to caught on things when mounting or dismounting in a hurry.
www.1stwisconsincav.org

"We'll hang Jeff Davis from a sour apple tree."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com