Author Topic: Indian war holster  (Read 3269 times)

Offline Colonel Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Indian war holster
« on: March 26, 2009, 08:46:33 PM »
I am looking for a holster that UK sutler has called a 1883 Rope holster.  It is the one with the cartridge loops running along the outside just under the flap.  Is there any other sutler or leather maker who makes them. 
Adrian Geary
Samsula, FL
US Army Honorable Discharged  19E/45K
NRA, GAF, SUVCW

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
Re: Indian war holster
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 12:17:26 AM »
cb,

I would suggest that you contact David Carrico.

http://www.carricoleather.com/

I am sure that he will be able to furnish one.  He does excellent work!

Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 12:00:42 PM »
I am looking for a holster that UK sutler has called a 1883 Rope holster.  It is the one with the cartridge loops running along the outside just under the flap.  Is there any other sutler or leather maker who makes them. 

Sir:
I take keyboard in hand to reply to your communication.  The Ropes Pattern holster, was basically a full flap, holster similar to the Civil War Pattern of 1863, but worn butt-rear on the right side, with a skirt forming the belt loop and a strap holding the holster body to the flap.  The cartridge loops were sewn near the top of the holster body.  According to Edward Scott Meadows' book, "U.S. Holsters and Pistol Cartridge Pouches", there is some debate as to the vintage of the Ropes Pattern, that it may have been produced later...say as late as 1898 or into the 20th Century.  Capt. Ropes of the 8th Cavalry in his letter to the Ordnance Dept. seemed to be recommending a full flap version of the Forsyth modification to the 1881 Pattern half-flap holsters (which were worn butt forward).  The reason for the skirts was to permit the holsters to be used with the 3-inch wide woven canvas Mills belts.

I'm not sure if I can post this here, but if you go to www.gunfighter.com/trailrider you can get the address of a vendor who can make up either of these holsters, plus others. [Blatant commercial mode on!]

I remain, your obdt servant,

Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:18:14 AM »

1st Sgt.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 03:49:26 PM »
Try looking in "Packin Iron" page 30 says holster was experimental between 1885-1895. Also gives details on flap and belt loops.
Hope this helps some.

Respectfully

1st Sgt.    :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com