Author Topic: Has anyone seen a stamp like this one?  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Has anyone seen a stamp like this one?
« on: March 15, 2009, 10:14:17 AM »
Howdy Pards,
 When Tandy had one of there 50% of there stamps last year, I bought a D-616 and it mate D-617, then a few month later I traded a guy in Arkansas for his Leather tools that he was longer going to use, and i got a stamp that looks like the D-616 but it is a older model, and I am looking for it's mate, and you will see in the picture, if push comes to shove I will try and make the mate, but it won't be that easy to make it match perfect!
 So I am hopeing that maybe someone has one they would sell or might run acrossed one that they wouldn't want, but know that I am looking.

it isn't a big deal, The one I am looking for, is the one on the right, I even went to a Tandy store hopeing to find something close, no go! but if someone would happen to run acrossed one, please give me a shout!
Thanks
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline cowboy316

• Top Active Citizen
    • http://wildwestcustom-leatherworks.webs.com/
  • Liked:
Re: Has anyone seen a stamp like this one?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 10:15:42 AM »
Ace
i got one og those my friend  you can get them trew the tandy catalog
Cowboy316

PS Ace here is the mate thats in the tandy catalog for that stamp you have
and from what ive been told and seen bud theres only one no mates that i know off
i just flip flop mine to make my borders

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 10:22:28 AM »
Cowboy316,
I took that stamp to the Tandy store in Tulsa, and I think they have all the stamps, and me and the manager stamped everone that was close, and none mated! I was like you, I thought one of those in the catalog was the right one, but one of them was way to small and the other way to big! I have made several stamps, but to get those small holes spaced perfect, may take several tries, and may not be possible?
Thanks for the heads up!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:09:49 PM »

Offline cowboy316

• Top Active Citizen
    • http://wildwestcustom-leatherworks.webs.com/
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 10:28:42 AM »
hmmmmmmm
i dont know then ace not sure they make a mate for that stamp but ill keep and eye open
is there a number on the stamp you have?

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 01:21:51 PM »
OK, so you're saying the D616 on the right is not like the current model? Why do you need a mate for it if you alreay have one? I have a D616, it looks like the pic.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 01:58:23 PM »
I think the problem is with the matching flower stamp, Craftool?? D617 not fitting the flower in the 616 stamp.  That stand alone flower of yours looks huge.  After a close look at the catalog, it actually looks like the current three stamps in that series do not even mate well.  If it is in fact a design change, you may need to watch the used stamp offerings in the hope of finding the correct mates.  My three pieces do mate fairly well together so they did exist as a matched set, at some point.  One other possibility, could you have a stamp from another maker?  I am not much at tooling leather but do know that there are some real high end stamp makers out there for the artisan types.

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 02:39:20 PM »
SS,
 Look at my peice of leather, the stamp on the lower left is the New Overseas made D616, the flower above it is the D617, you use it if you get box in or need to made a turn around!
The Stamp That Cowboy is showing is a D616 1/2. The stamp on my leather on the right is the USA made D 616, I was hopeing to find a USA D617. It isn't a big deal, I just was looking and a hopeing to find a USA D617! I just want the 2 sets!
Thanks ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline cowboywc

• Top Active Citizen
    • Leather by WC
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 04:17:30 AM »
Howdy Ace
You are going to have to keep an eye out on ebay for an older stamp. Most of the new craftool stamps
don't match the older ones.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 06:09:31 AM »
Howdy WC,
 I will agree with you 100%, that was one reason I posted that, hopeing maybe someone will run acrossed one of the old ones and let me know. I can't say that I like the older one beter, it is just different! I spent about a hour yesterday trying to make one to match, but the lines in between the holes are so close i don't think I can get that one done!
Thanks for the advice WC!
Maybe one will come into your place!
Have a good one!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
Ace, would it be possible to make an impression in clay and then isolate the flower for making a casting?  There are several metal casting kits out there now days but I know nothing about their suitability for leather working tools.  Some of the materials they are now using for embossing dies and belt rolls are not very high tensile though.  Something this small would not even need to be struck by a maul.  If there were someone whom I would turn to first it would be Chuck Burrows, Sometimes I think God tells him everything!  And thats not meant to sound facetious.     

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
Howdy SB,
 I thank you very much for the advice, but it isn't that big of deal! I saw one yesterday, but it was on ebay and it was in a group of stamps and they also Had the mate (like I have) And I can't afford to buy the whole lot of stamps for one, and then have another of the tool I have!
 i was just hopeing maybe some one would run acrossed the old design D 617 and I good by it!
Thanks again!
ACE

I just want to have fun!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com