Author Topic: Yesterdays Soldier  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Yesterdays Soldier
« on: May 22, 2009, 11:10:19 PM »
I thought this was pretty interesting and I have noticed that a lot of Troopers have bought Krags. Is this a good enough example for a Spanish American war era Soldier by GAF standards?

http://www.history.army.mil/html/museums/Yesterday_Today.pdf

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
Re: Yesterdays Soldier
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 10:28:01 PM »
I remember when this ran on Soldier magazine, I was active duty at the time. The funny part is that some of things on the "now" solider were things I never saw then either!
Asa for the Span-Am one, well, it's tough to generally say what's correct as it varied from person to person (and keep in mind that war was being fought in several places at once). Some line units didn't have Krags at all.
But generally speaking, I'd bet it'd be find for GAF use to go with that listing...

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 10:35:45 PM »
Thanks Captain

I have reviewed hundreds of period pictures, but they are black and white and hard to make out some of the details. I have found quite a few of troops with and without suspenders. The Kersey Overcoat is a very nice coat, but I only recall seeing Sack Coats as far as the blue wool types go.

The shoes were one of the things I was really puzzled about. The M1892 shoe looks to be much like a Civil War Brogan with a round toe, then there are the dress type shoes like the Soldier in the picture is wearing. I have a well made pair of square toed Civil War type Brogans and a pair much like those in the example so I guess I am all set for shoes.

This is the most detailed photo I have found and it has everything explained, so I figured I would post it because it may prove helpful to someone and some of the members might add what they know of the period uniforms.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:23:14 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com