Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 781586 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #840 on: November 16, 2009, 07:07:22 PM »
QD, I made a post about that B29 last week. I did some research on it and posted all the info I could find out about it.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Queasy Dillo

• Usual Suspect
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Boiler Plate Rat
    • Steel Carnival
  • Liked:
« Reply #841 on: November 16, 2009, 07:17:47 PM »
Oops.  Sorry about that.  I just ventured back last week, so I guess I just missed it.  That's about as vigilant as I get, I guess.   ;D
"Get it together?  Lady, last time my people got it together we needed most of Robert Lee's backyard to bury the evidence."

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #842 on: November 17, 2009, 08:21:16 AM »
QD, I noticed in your profile that you are in Waco. My beautiful wife graduated from BU.  We always make an annual pilgrimage to "The Health Camp" for burgers.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #843 on: Today at 12:39:05 PM »

Offline Queasy Dillo

• Usual Suspect
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Boiler Plate Rat
    • Steel Carnival
  • Liked:
« Reply #843 on: November 17, 2009, 10:16:36 PM »
I'm here a little while longer, at least, until I can wring a commercial certificate out of TSTC.  Funny you mention Health Camp, though - went there just the other day.  Survived the Circle of Doom and everything and ate probably the un-healthiest burger in town.   ;D
"Get it together?  Lady, last time my people got it together we needed most of Robert Lee's backyard to bury the evidence."

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #844 on: November 18, 2009, 08:28:59 AM »
That's the irony of it! We usually go down there about once a year. Maybe just once a year won't hurt us too bad.

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #845 on: November 23, 2009, 04:26:40 PM »
Out of curiosity, if you could own (and obviously fly) one of them, which would you choose? I think the B-17s, the B-29s and the Corsairs are beautiful planes, but the plane I'd love to own and fly would be the P-51 Mustang. I love the freedom and maneuverability of fighters - everything else feels like I'm in a bus.

Of course, one of the Fokker Dr. 1 Triplanes would be fun to have as well...

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #846 on: November 23, 2009, 04:43:59 PM »
The gull wing Corsair was one hell of a plane.  The engine was so strong only a select group of military pilots could handle them.  They had a Marine version that was set up to destroy just about anything in its path.  I believe that was the first model I ever built as a kid, my Dad was obsessed with them.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Queasy Dillo

• Usual Suspect
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Boiler Plate Rat
    • Steel Carnival
  • Liked:
« Reply #847 on: November 23, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
Hmmm...if constrained by the finances and operating restrictions of the real world, a Cessna O-2A wouldn't be unwelcome in the hangar, even if it's not a warbird in the tradition sense. 

Outside that, I'd take a B-25.  Preferably a glass-nose model in two-tone MTO camouflage.  Though I gotta admit that a P-40B would be a very tempting option. 

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #848 on: November 23, 2009, 07:05:57 PM »
QD, There are some former FAC's from the VietNam War that might disagree with you.  We have an Oscar Duece in the CAF inventory. One of my wife's friends father was one of the "Black Sheep". He broke Pappy's leg in a wrestling match at the O club. I would have to say that I would have to choose between a P38, a Spitfire, or a ME109. That would be a hard choice, but I would choose the P38.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #849 on: November 23, 2009, 09:33:51 PM »
P-47c would be a good choice for me guys. There's just something that's so muscular about it. A Hellcat wouldn't be a bad choice either................Buck ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Queasy Dillo

• Usual Suspect
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Boiler Plate Rat
    • Steel Carnival
  • Liked:
« Reply #850 on: November 23, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
There's a couple down here.  One in the black and red air force markings, another in a wholly fictional scheme that'd look at home in Rhodesia were it not for the USAF insignia (if you can puzzle that out) and one down around San Marcos in the standard gray with the late-run bubble window on the pilot's side.  I talked to the pilot for a few hours at an airshow in San Antonio several years back - he'd flown that exact bird with the 20th TASS out of Da Nang, then bought it when it as surplus postwar.  Beautiful restoration job.  Even had the underwing ordnance and that monster radio package in the back. 

As an amusing aside, the nose art was (I think) Charlie Chaser, which featured Snoopy on his doghouse making a low pass over a cartoon VC.  He said that was an original piece of nose art from the war.  Charles Schultz sent them to the stencils along with a letter and an autograph, all three of which this particular pilot still had in his possesion.  Said those were probably worth more than the O-2 at this point. 

I have several hundred pictures around here...somewhere.

And my favorite fictional character was an O-2 driver...among other things.  But we're still working on that.   ;D

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #851 on: November 24, 2009, 02:06:04 PM »
Well, There is supposed to be an Oscar Duece in our inventory, but I have not found it's location.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #852 on: November 24, 2009, 03:25:53 PM »
Watched a movie last night called The Four Horsemen of the Appocolypse.  It was a Glen Ford film from 1962.  It wasn't really a war flick but was set in france durring the war.  Me and the wife enjoyed it but the icing on the cake came at the end when they have some great footage of B 17s and B25s heading out to destroy a hidden Panzer division.  There is a shot of the "aluminum sky" that is very impressive.  They pretty much block out the sun.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #853 on: November 24, 2009, 05:44:59 PM »
Glen Ford was a good actor, served in WW2. I always enjoy watching hin in Westerns.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #854 on: November 24, 2009, 08:16:15 PM »
That's why I got it.  Like I said it aint a war movie but in the few scenes they show fighting it's real.  A Brittish commander is running the show but they made no mistake in showing the circled star when the 17s took off.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #855 on: November 25, 2009, 08:01:06 AM »
When my back gets better I hope to take a more active part with the B24/B29 Squadron of the CAF. I plan on getting a digital camera and taking pictures of the planes at the Cavanaugh Museum of Flight.

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #856 on: December 01, 2009, 03:10:15 PM »
I must admit I'm always awed when they show those "aluminum sky" scenes in the WW II movies. The idea of them sending more planes out on just one raid than we had in the whole US Navy during the time I served is rather incredible.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #857 on: December 01, 2009, 03:19:39 PM »
Those bombers carried sometimes as many as 10 in each plane.  If 60 planes were shot down and the crews lost, that was 600 men gone. The shear number of crews lost was staggering.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #858 on: December 01, 2009, 06:27:46 PM »
My Great Uncle used to tell my dad about the flack and the tracers.  A plane on his wing one minute and then just a big gap in the sky the next.  He and his crew made it home but a lot of their friends did not.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #859 on: December 02, 2009, 11:49:39 AM »
They have a large granite monument to the 8th AF over in England, similar to the Wall in DC.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com