Author Topic: All ye shooters who wanna be RATS >> Sign in here!  (Read 568127 times)

Offline bowiemaker

• Maker of sharp pointy things
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Carter Custom Knives
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: All ye shooters who wanna be RATS >> Sign in here!
« Reply #980 on: May 01, 2011, 03:31:36 AM »
I have always been a fan of Rugers. When I recently got into CAS, my first cowboy gun had to be a Ruger. I would be proud to be a RAT.

NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #981 on: May 01, 2011, 09:15:03 AM »
Bowiemaker:

Your handle is now on the RATS Roll.

Glad to have you!

Mustang Gregg
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Iron Horse Garrett

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #982 on: May 05, 2011, 08:08:39 PM »
always wanted to be a RAT, always gonna be a RAT, now hand it over! Bisley Vaquero 45, Bisley New Vaquero 45, GP100 .357, 22/45 and not stoppin' there...
SASS #92140-----RATS #613-----NRA-----GRANGER HILL REGULATORS
"...it appears we must re-define the nature of our association"

Advertising

« Reply #983 on: Today at 02:15:06 AM »

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #983 on: May 07, 2011, 09:51:12 PM »
Yup, I put you in a couple of days back.

MG
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Cabalero Chuck

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: All ye shooters who wanna be **DIRTY** RATS >> Sign in here!
« Reply #984 on: May 18, 2011, 10:25:39 PM »
Well folks, it seems as if I have degenerated from being the sixhundred and first RAT to being an honest to filthyest Dirty RAT.
I just came home from an auction here in my town and bought myself a new blued Old Army.
I know I shouldn't gloat and all, but I think a never fired Old Army for $275 is worth crowing about.
So what needs to be done to "dirty up" my listing in the roster?
What, maybe I gotta load this here Ruger and liight her off to start this dirtying up process....

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #985 on: May 20, 2011, 11:39:19 PM »
CC:

I'll work on it from a different computer.
You can't modifly the RATS list with the one I'm using here.  >:(

Bein' DIRTY is a GOOD thing.  :D

MG
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline 4Fingers

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #986 on: June 22, 2011, 05:21:42 PM »
I just registered a few minutes ago.  I  scrolled through all the different sections and couldn't figure out where I should introduce myself and to start asking questions but then I noticed the "RAT" section and this seems like the appropriate starting point.

I registered after Googling for "single action revolver forums" because I'm interesed in getting a gun or two in .45 Colt and have questions.  Since I still have the stainless Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum I bought 15 or 20 years ago and the stainless
Ruger P97 .45 Automatic I bought about 10 years ago I figure I belong here.  I should quickly add that of the many different guns I've handled and fired and purchased over the years .....Rugers are still the best bang for the buck in my biased and humble opinion.

Anyway, having recently gotten interested in the cowboy action shooting sport, I 've spent the past 4 or 5 weeks looking at .45 Colt clones from Uberti /Cimarron and USAF and EAA, etc. and decided I wanted a nickel plated .45 Colt in 5.5 inch.  I don't know why but I wasn't really looking at Ruger until it suddenly hit me today that Rugers don't cost any more than these other clones and fact is Rugers are way ahead of these others in quality and safety features.....features that I've been accustomed to in my current Rugers.

So, now I'm pretty certain I want a "New Vaquero" in stainless, 5.5 inch, .45 Colt.  It wasn't until today I stumbled across a comparison between the new and old Vaquero and that sold me.  The polished stainless looks so much like nickel that I'm really happy with it's look too.

This long winded intro brings me to a question.  I see on the Ruger Web site that they have a SASS version of the guns I want.  The only difference is that these are sold in pairs for nearly 1600 bucks, they have the SASS logo on the grips and the hammers aren't as tall as on the regular gun.  They look very similar to Bisley hammers which I've never been fond of.  Is there any particular advantage to having this lower stumpy looking hammer?

Thanks,

VR

PS  I could get two non SASS versions which are identical in every way accept for the stumpy hammers and the goofy looking SASS logos for 5 or 6 hundred less......seems crazy to me to pay 600 more for funny looking hammers....what am I missing?

Offline Jack N Water

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #987 on: June 22, 2011, 07:25:15 PM »
Firstly, the SASS logo is not goofy and since you have obviously not shot a SASS Ruger with a Montado Hammer you should not pass judgement on these fine cowboy guns. Secondly Bisley's are an easy shootin Six if you have short thumbs or shoot one handed.
And, pairs of Ruger SASS Vaqueros don't sell for 1600 bucks anyway so you should expect to be in the 1000 range. I shoot Bisley's in 357 & 45 and single six Bird Heads in 32 but i have not found any other of my fellow cowboy's iron's to be sub standard or any of their grip logos to be goofy.  

:)  
SASS 86688
GAF 756
RATS 604
NRA

Offline 4Fingers

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #988 on: June 22, 2011, 10:27:02 PM »
Firstly, the SASS logo is not goofy and since you have obviously not shot a SASS Ruger with a Montado Hammer you should not pass judgement on these fine cowboy guns. Secondly Bisley's are an easy shootin Six if you have short thumbs or shoot one handed.
And, pairs of Ruger SASS Vaqueros don't sell for 1600 bucks anyway so you should expect to be in the 1000 range. I shoot Bisley's in 357 & 45 and single six Bird Heads in 32 but i have not found any other of my fellow cowboy's iron's to be sub standard or any of their grip logos to be goofy.  

:)  

Well, thanks for the warm welcome.....I think.  I don't know who managed to hack my post and express that stupid opinion about the SASS logo being goofy.  Heck....that's absurd....it's obviously one of the finest looking logos I ever saw. 

I'm 63 years old and sometimes wonder if I'm going soft and senile.  At least I can thank God I don't have short thumbs or any other short parts.....like those people who need stumpy hammers on their shoot'n irons..... ;)

VR

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #989 on: June 23, 2011, 11:08:46 AM »
My OMV cost 500 used.  The fresh off the line NMV was only 450.  I chose the old one but that is because everyone has their own preference.  I have big hands so it fits like a glove for me.  That's me, some may prefer thinner grips and shorter hammers, that is them.  When you purchase an extension of your hand do what feels right. 

And welcome Mr. Fingers.  I really don't have an opinion on the logo but I do love Rugers.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline 4Fingers

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #990 on: June 23, 2011, 11:57:08 AM »
My OMV cost 500 used.  The fresh off the line NMV was only 450.  I chose the old one but that is because everyone has their own preference.  I have big hands so it fits like a glove for me.  That's me, some may prefer thinner grips and shorter hammers, that is them.  When you purchase an extension of your hand do what feels right. 

And welcome Mr. Fingers.  I really don't have an opinion on the logo but I do love Rugers.

Thanks LT.  I really should handle the new and the old, with both style hammers, before I decide.

Thanks,

4F

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #991 on: June 23, 2011, 07:31:32 PM »
4 Fingers:

I put your handle on the RATS Roll this morning.

Mustang Gregg
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline 4Fingers

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #992 on: June 23, 2011, 08:27:44 PM »
4 Fingers:

I put your handle on the RATS Roll this morning.

Mustang Gregg

An honor, thanks Gregg.

4F

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #993 on: June 25, 2011, 08:07:18 AM »
Welcome to the RATS 4Fingers

I myself agree also:

My OMV cost 500 used.  The fresh off the line NMV was only 450.  I chose the old one but that is because everyone has their own preference.  I have big hands so it fits like a glove for me.  That's me, some may prefer thinner grips and shorter hammers, that is them.  When you purchase an extension of your hand do what feels right.  

And welcome Mr. Fingers.  I really don't have an opinion on the logo but I do love Rugers.

The Ruger SASS Six-shooters are a package of desirable features coveted by many SASS shooters developed over the history of SASS some of which you have noticed.  I have opined somewheres 'round here that I'm a fan of this package if it was in the OLD MODEL 'cause the NM feels like a pocket pistol in my hands and it aint right for me....   :D

Long Hunter has a great deal on the SASS pair with all the work'ns done on 'em and they're in 45LC now!  I'll recheck his sight and post here in modification fur ya!

Check Here!.....  http://www.longhunt.com/ruger/ruger-sass-vaquero.htm       ;)

Welcome again!
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline jimmyb.1

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #994 on: July 10, 2011, 11:33:19 PM »
I'd like to be included in the Rats Roll please.  I'm from Kansas.

JimmyB

Love the Rugers.
Thanks.

Offline Four Eyes Henry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #995 on: July 18, 2011, 06:11:21 PM »
Suppose I'm a Dirty Rat
Two OMV's and blackpowder only (OK, 15 grs gamer loads)
BTW, I'm Dutch and shooting CAS in Holland and Germany.

DWSA #102
SASS  #16042
BDS    #2197

He will come to your house carrying a sixpack of goodwill and joy. The Reverend Horton Heat

http://www.youtube.com/user/foureyeshenry1

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #996 on: July 19, 2011, 11:51:12 AM »
Four Eyes Henry:

You are on the RATS Roll. 
I cannot put your handle in bold from this computer. 
There is a glitch in the system on some computers that I have tried. 
But I will get to it when possible.

Mustang Gregg
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Four Eyes Henry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #997 on: July 23, 2011, 05:12:53 AM »
Thanks Mustang Gregg,

BTW, the country code would be NL (Netherlands) not D (Germany)  ;D ;D ;D
DWSA #102
SASS  #16042
BDS    #2197

He will come to your house carrying a sixpack of goodwill and joy. The Reverend Horton Heat

http://www.youtube.com/user/foureyeshenry1

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #998 on: July 23, 2011, 08:39:41 AM »
I will fix it when I can get on my own computer. 
The RATS List has a code problem that I cannot overcome from this here MWR computer.

MG
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline ArizonaSmith

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #999 on: July 29, 2011, 01:51:57 PM »
I'd like to be considered for the RATS!

I have 6 of the beauties currently!  ;D

From Columbus OH
Never annoy what you can't outrun!
Born in Arizona, raised in Texas...now I'm in Ohio?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com