Author Topic: Riflesmith Tang sight Screws  (Read 2436 times)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Riflesmith Tang sight Screws
« on: December 12, 2008, 06:58:19 AM »
I just wanted to pass along a minor issue that came up when installing a Axtell/Riflesmith #30 tang sight on my Uberti 1876.  I ordered the sight and appropriate mounting screws directly from Axtell/Riflesmith.  When installing the rear (long) screw, I found the OD of the screw shank (for about 3/4" under the head) about .015" larger than the original tang screw.  The hole in the tang is a close fit with the original screw.  The top 3/4" of the new, larger screw would not pass through the hole, so the screw could not be tightened down.  After measuring the 2 screws and determining the difference, I put the new screw in the lathe and reduced the shank to match the original screw.  After that, the installation went smoothly.

This is not a complaint against Axtell/Riflesmith.  I'm sure their screws are made to copy the original Winchester screw profile.  This is simply a minor variation in the Uberti made rifles.  Its an easy fix, but something to be aware of.   
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com