Author Topic: Goin' a bit back in time  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Sgt Major Barber

• Very Active Citizen
  • GAF - #619 SASS #72298 SCORRS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Goin' a bit back in time
« on: October 23, 2008, 05:35:04 PM »
Greetings.  Thanks for all the info on the IW Kepi.  However, have decided to "play" a post civil war--period 1867-1870 cavalry.  Guess I should focus on CW equipment.  How's this...the sky blue trousers w/reinforced seat, black soft slouch hat with brass sabers and regiment and company #, (have seen a number of pics of period cavalry and they all had the brass on their slouch hat)  4-button frock with whatever rank I am gonna be...and my 1851 sabre belt with cartridge boxes (both pistol and carbine), cavalry sabre (already have the belt, boxes, holster and sabre)...I already have the appropriate boots and spurs...am gonna try to save some $$$ for a Sharps '63 Carbine....and then will need the shoulder strap and carbine snap....Am I missing any goodies that I should not live without?

Thanks for all your help.
All the best to each,
Two Dot Wrangler
Don't squat on yer spurs!
Two Dot Wrangler

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Goin' a bit back in time
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 07:47:32 PM »
I assume you're referring to a 4-button sack. The sack coat was called that because it was very much like a civilian suit coat, and it hung from the shoulders like...well, a sack.  It usually had 4 or 5 buttons, including the collar, which could either be standing or turned down ("rolled") like a modern shirt. I believe it was officially referred to as a "blouse" by the Army.  It was the most comfortable and practical.  You'd probably be happiest with this.

The Frock coat was usually worn by unmounted troops, as it hung down quite a bit, almost mid-thigh, and was more form-fitting.  Most Dress uniforms were Frocks as well, for all branches, and could be single-breasted (enlisted, and Jr. Officer) or double-breasted (Senior Officer and General). 

Cavalry also wore the shell jacket, which was waist-length, fit snug, had 8 or 9 buttons, and usually had more yellow piping, and lace (cloth tape) around the collar and/or cuffs.  Some were double-breasted, like frock coats.  Actually, a shell jacket is pretty much a frock coat without the skirt.  It looked more flashy and colorful than the sack, but really wasn't practical in the field, being so short and snug.  Many had belt loops on the bottom edge so the weight of your sword/pistol would hold it down and keep it from riding up. 

I couldn't resist posting what I did on your other post.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Sgt Major Barber

• Very Active Citizen
  • GAF - #619 SASS #72298 SCORRS
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 09:12:44 PM »
Hey Guns...  SACK coat was what I meant......don't think I'm too interested in the shell jacket...my old waist and stomach measurements grow larger and smaller and can't imagine a shell jacket with button holes stretched out one month and a few months later....hanging nearly loose......with the sack, I think I can manage the differences.
Thanks.
TDW  :)
Don't squat on yer spurs!
Two Dot Wrangler

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:07:22 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com