Author Topic: Winter Quarter Projects  (Read 6538 times)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winter Quarter Projects
« on: October 21, 2008, 09:16:52 PM »
Good Evening in the Barracks.

With the Kansas State Match officially over, my campaigning for 2008 is officially over.  I have gone into Winter Quarters and have began a couple of projects designed to make my 2009 Campaign successful.

I am pleased to report that of the 6 multiple day matches that I participated in during the 2008 campaigning season I took victory in 4, I placed 2d in one and 3rd in one.  The two events in which victory eluded me were the Kansas State GAF Match in March and the GAF Grand Muster.  I am pleased to report that I will attempt to fix my issues for 2009 and strive for victory in 2009, with the help of the Good Lord and if allowed to by the US Army.  I am also pleased to report that I have successfully captured the Kansas State SASS Championship for the Frontier Cartridge Duelist catagory (thank God for Rank Points ;)) Alas I do not rate a Star of Merit for the feat as I was not in uniform this weekend.  The exciting part of it is that prior to the match, I had never shot a Frontier Cartridge catagory before. 

Tonight, I have officially began my list of projects for next year. 

1. I have noticed that my reloading space is in a state of unacceptablity.  So, I have began the primary task of cleaning the basement so I can have space to work and actually find my materials.  This is harder than it may sound because my wife comes from a long line of pack rats.... :'(

2. I need to send my Dillon off to Dillon to be repaired.  I swear my 650 is possessed. 

3. I want to get my Hornady progressive reloader up and running.  Since my 650 is possessed, I want to be able to not have to mess around with it to change calibers between .38 Special and .45 LC.  I have the other progressive, so I might as well get it up and running.

4. Reloading.  Even though I am in Winter Quarters now, I may have to move out and engage in a skirmish or two.  I think I may have all of 12 cartridges left over from the season....

5. My Krag cut down.  After talking with Ned Niedelander at the GAF Muster, I have decided to get my Krag up and running.  I have a new front sight in from S&S and have ordered a new hand guard.  I will be taking it up to my local gunsmith for some refitting.

6. I was agast to learn that I, of all people do not own a period dress uniform.  All of my uniforms are fatigue uniforms.  So, I willl be making some choices early next year on which service and what uniform I want.

What are your Winter Projects GAF/CAS related?

Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Cowtown Scout

• Top Active Citizen
  • TEXAS By GOD
  • Liked:
Re: Winter Quarter Projects
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 09:51:15 PM »
Winter
What's That ??
  ;D
Scout   8) 8)
GAF #510, STORM #98, GOFWG #126, SSS #211, SBSS #1713, CVV
Life Member: SASS, LSA, ORA, Whittington Center, LSFSC, Founders Club (Gold)
Benefactor Member: NRA and TSRA, Past President TSRA

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 10:10:18 PM »
Winter, You know when the Stock Show is goin' on.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:08:06 PM »

Offline TEXAS SARGE

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 10:24:17 PM »
Major Matt

Winter in Texas--Cold front tomorrow, only going to get up to 82.  If it gets way down to 60 I'll pull out the lead pot and do some casting.  Got to keep up with it and loading as we still shoot three weekends a month.  Looking forward to next year, trying to choose which mil spec rifle to use next year against you.

Texas Sarge

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 10:36:45 PM »
I am leaning towards the trapdoor again. 
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Cowtown Scout

• Top Active Citizen
  • TEXAS By GOD
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 11:23:32 PM »
Winter, You know when the Stock Show is goin' on.

Oh, February when it's COLD for a couple weeks, and we sometimes get an Ice Storm. ;D

Scout 8) 8)

GAF #510, STORM #98, GOFWG #126, SSS #211, SBSS #1713, CVV
Life Member: SASS, LSA, ORA, Whittington Center, LSFSC, Founders Club (Gold)
Benefactor Member: NRA and TSRA, Past President TSRA

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 12:45:37 AM »
CT & TLD,

Currently 52 here in KC [where Maj. Matt & I reside] with the predicted high on Thursday being 49 and the low 41.  With rain through Thursday as well.  High about 53 tomorrow. 

Been to Brackettville [sp?] in Feb. and it was pretty nice.  Playing living history 1836 in the John Wayne Alamo movie set!! ;D ;D  Wound up a cinder! :o ::)  Tough playing a Texian.  Remember, I only play one on weekends!! ;D ;) ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 05:31:06 AM »
I'll be spending November in the big sandbox.  According to weather averages, I should see temps in the mid-80s all month.  If a cold snap hits, the temps should drop all the way down to the high 70s.   ;D

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 05:34:48 AM »
Here in the Metroplex, our winter consists of ice around the end of January to the middle of Feb. By March, it's Springtime. Compared to other states, we don't have much winter. In the Texas Panhandle, where I was born, winter is a different thing. They have snow from about Halloween till April.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 06:50:12 AM »
Here in Nebraska in winter it gets COLD. If it's not cold, then it's HOT. If it's not hot then it's WET. When it's not wet it's SNOWBOUND. And if it's not snow it's DRY.

I think you begin to understand our weather patterns.

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 10:01:55 AM »
Well, winter isn't here in central Nebraska....yet, but it sounds like maybe tonight. Depending on which forcast you listen to we should get 1-3" or 12-18" of snow tonight. That after having rained for the last 36 hours. It should make a wonderful mess.

My last shoot of the season was the weekend after the muster. I did our local club that Saturday and a KC's trap shoot that Sunday.

I've started some winter projects too. The week of the Muster my new reloading press showed up but it wasn't untill the next week before I could get it set up. When I did I found out that my old bench was too flimsy. Besides, it was doing double duty as my leather working bench. So to free up the bench for leather work and to get a more sturdy bench, I put together a new bench using one of those kits from Cabela's. I used, used lumber except for the plywood and peg board so it didn't cost all that much. I was able to mount all three of my metalic presses though I left the shotshell press mounted where it was. After getting the new bench put together and the presses setup I've got about 750 rounds of ammunition reloaded for next season so far. I also added a new shop light above the bench. I'll leave the new Lee Loadmaster dedicated to .45 LC, the old Lee Challenger for sizing bullets and the Lock & Load Lee Cast Classic for everything else

I've also started working on the stages for the 2009 Grand Muster. Once again I've found more interesting stories that what I'll have stages to use them in.

I'm also planning on reloading the ammunition for the GAF Muster far enough in advance to chamber each round in advance. This way I don't loose more than 90 seconds in misses because of cartridges that wouldn't chamber. It was bad enough doing that once, and it won't happen again!
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
Well, first I have to cast a bunch of bullets, then I can load them.

However, we shoot year 'round, so some casting is required for me JUST to finish the calender year.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 07:02:31 PM »
Well, first I have to cast a bunch of bullets, then I can load them.

However, we shoot rear 'round, so some casting is required for me JUST to finish the calender year.

Steel Horse, it might help accuracy if you turned and faced the targets. ;D

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 07:22:50 PM »
pitsptr,

Your LAST shoot of the season should be coming to columbus on the 5th Sunday of NOvember (weather permiting)
to shoot with us Renegades.  Maybe we'll even have a Turkey shoot side match.  You could ehlp us out with using the GAF class alongside the SASS classes. 

How do you like the Lee Load master?  Any idea how it compares to a Dillon 550?  I've been loooking at the Load master and might have to find one of those myself.

hope you don't get buried too deep in snow , but if you do, keep it out there.

Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 11:26:40 AM »
I didn't realize you still had another. I'll try to make it.

I really don't have anything to compair the loadmaster to, other than an sngle stage and I can say it's a lot faster.
I like it fine, but it's taken a little to get all the ins and outs of it learned. the Owners manual isn't very much help in setting it up but if you get on line and watch the videos, they help alot. I've had some problems with the priming station, but again it was because I didn't understand all the ins and outs of the machine.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 07:54:13 PM »
I have been repairing my winter quarters & finishing the armory (WWA gun shop) recently. 
In fact tomorrow, I trek across the prairie to a sutler in Beatrice to procure my outdoor wood furnace that will heat both buildings. 
I hope to make it fully mission capable by the end of Nebrasky deer season.

Reckon the reloading of next year's SASS ammo will have to wait for a snowed-in night.  ???

Mustang Gregg
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 02:08:12 AM »
Steel Horse, it might help accuracy if you turned and faced the targets. ;D

RCJ

Thanks!  :o ;D ;D ;D

I made the appropriate correction!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 07:39:46 AM »
With our new heated cabin at Modoc we at Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company will likely be shooting year round for sure and turning our rears toward the heat. 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 04:20:16 PM »
I am please to report that all I have left to do in the basement is sweep the floor and my Krag went into the Gunsmith today.  He is going to make it a carbine.  It was a cut down rifle with no front sight and a missing handguard.  So, I got a new hand guard and a new front sight.  He is going to also bore sight it.

Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 01:04:12 PM »
I am please to report that all I have left to do in the basement is sweep the floor and my Krag went into the Gunsmith today.  He is going to make it a carbine.  It was a cut down rifle with no front sight and a missing handguard.  So, I got a new hand guard and a new front sight.  He is going to also bore sight it.

Cool!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com