Author Topic: SASS - the good, the bad or the ugly?  (Read 9228 times)

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
SASS - the good, the bad or the ugly?
« on: January 23, 2005, 12:18:12 PM »
SASS has become a subject of a love or hate relationship and I say this with a combination of sadness and a smile. When another issue pops up on the surface, the discussions on both sides of the fence stampede into cyberspace and some stinging arguments fly back and forth. Once again, it will end after a round of the good and the bad with the 10 Commandments and even a few of the Constitutional Amendments included.

I really don't have time to write this, but instead of letting a new batch of email with questions about SASS on both sides be unanswered, I better air a few comments and answers of my own here in Cas City.

The Scholarship Fund
I have no knowledge about this issue other than what has been expressed on this forum, the SASS Wire and TFS. My conclusion is that the individuals in charge have had discussions concerning how to promote and market the fund and unfortunately, the final outcome turned out to be a no win situation for both parties. How sad.

A Strong Feeling of Ownership
SASS has been a major contributor to the development of cowboy & western action shooting. I don't care who was the first or who invented the sport. If someone has the urge to win that bragging right, feel free.
What is a certain truth, is that our sport has grown fast.. thanks to a lot of voluntary work from a whole lot of good honest hard working everyday people. Along with that, a strong feeling of ownership has developed from the founding fathers of SASS to current members of TWN, to other organizations and fellow shooters in all organizations who love this sport. All this is also a mixture of, for profit and non profit, and if you try to put all this together into a good recipe for cookies for all to eat....and like..... well, it won't taste good for everyone, no matter what.
With feelings of heartfelt ownership, some demand  black and white unconditional support. Others turn to the opposite corner and to some extent, love the controversial disruptions and discontent. In fact, there are those out there who would like to see SASS go under. When these two opposite sides become the founder of the feast of controversies, the sport and the majority suffers.

Should I renew my SASS membership?
I will. The reason for me is simple. I want SASS to stay alive. Regardless of the controversy and discontent among members right now, we need what they have established. There are no better alternatives when it comes to high profiling our sport.And I say "Our Sport" because it IS our sport. Yours and mine.....regardless of the way the  organization handles and runs its operation.  Marshal'ette and I spend  at times, more than $75 on different things, as most of all of us do. In combination with the membership package, renewing this SASS membership is also a token of support to the future growth of CAS.
When I ask myself the above question, my answer is another question:
 What if SASS no longer exists?  My answer to you is this: If you can afford to continue to help support SASS, do it.
If not, continue shooting, have fun and be safe. I will stand by your side no matter the brand you ride for... as long as you are true to yourself and your beliefs and  bring a smile to the shooting range.

SASS does not care about their membership !
They do. But there is no doubt in my mind that they can do a whole lot better. Yes, they do try to fill the membership sack, but tend to forget there are holes in the bottom and it sure leaks. Yes, there are representatives of SASS that should try to learn more about public relations combined with a healthy dose of empathy for what the average members want in return. A good start would be to choose their words with a little more thought.  To answer criticism with criticism, as in a parent and child relationship, is a smorgasbord for those who have decided to attack SASS, and an uppercut for those who just wanted to make an honest suggestion. And in my opinion, it is time to evaluate the membership benefits and give SASS a facelift. Museums and high profiled events are fine, but I do see a need for changes in the future....that will also benefit those who live on a common mans payroll, and live a common mans life.     

So now you know. SASS does not have my  unconditional support. I do criticize and it is one of the benefits of being a member. To criticize and to praise...to honestly speak out and be heard is our constitutional right.
I can do all of this.... and be a supporter and a promoter at the same time.
And I have to **cough** humbly *cough cough* admit.....I do believe I am darn good at it.

Have fun and don't get your spurs tangled up.

Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline Spanish Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SASS - the good, the bad or the ugly?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 01:07:24 PM »
Sir:,
 I don't know the problems that there is with SASS. I find very correct and very sensible what you write. I like this sport and I have known it in Spain through  SASS web. I am also member and when I have to renovate  I will do it. I have a good time with the competition and I like what I read of this  through Internet, from the magazines to those that I am subscribed and of the little thing that I can read in this forum, because I don't have a lot of free time, (I am a soldier on duty). Every day I like more and in my club I organize since mainly in the year the competitions that I can, because it is a IPSC club, but I already have a good group of friends to those that step by step have gone increasing their interest for this sport. 

Sir, I don't want to spend more their time, because I understand that you´re busy as moderator of this forum, for this reason I conclude. 

Excuse for my bad English.

Sincerely

Spanish Marshal

SASS 52526
Warthog

"Buena suerte amigo"

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 01:14:35 PM »
Thanks Marshal, good perspective.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:29:13 PM »

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 03:11:28 PM »
Marshal Halloway, you expressed it very well.

Spanish Marshal, welcome to our forum.  I t is always great to hear from someone from your neck of the woods.  It gives us another perspective.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 07:11:05 PM »
Very well said, Marshal.

I have a hope that since a declarative statement has been made about the donations to the foundatons, the kids will win.

I think that you are very derned good at being a supporter and a promoter at the same time as having your opinions.

Welcome, Spanish Marshal! Your English is astronomically better than my Spanish would be. I'm glad you are here.

With warm regards,

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline California Lawdawg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 09:34:32 PM »
Well written Marshal,

someday I hope that Sass wakes up and corrects that which needs to be corrected.
Then, perhaps, life will be much better on the SASS wire.

Lawdawg

Offline Irish Red O'Toole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 11:47:10 AM »
Marshal,
Excellent post!  That was a laser shot to the heart of the matter.  Outstanding!!

Offline Evil Swede

• BCVC #38, SASS #20352 Life, BOLD #121
  • Citizen
  • The Evil Swede, Faro Dealer.
    • The Barbary Coast Vigilance Committee
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 02:43:52 PM »
Marshal, I apprecaite your level-headed approach.
The fact that SASS "fired" their scholarships author and removed posts of critisizim from their forums does not help the matter.
If people donated with the understanding the monies were going to the scholarship fund and they ultimately felt mislead, SASS should apologize for the misunderstanding. They are a business and we are their customers.  If they want to get into my wallet again.. they need to set things right with those that donated. It's the cowboy way.  I am a big supporter of SASS and we do owe the organization a debt of gratitude for the growth and acceptance of our game.. but, it is our game, not theirs.
--
~eSwede
BCVC #38, KGC #1 Founder,
SASS #20352 Life, BOLD #121
Websmitty at www.BCVC.net,
www.FaroKing.com &
www.KnightsoftheGreenCloth.com

Proud U.S. Army Veteran

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 05:26:13 PM »
On the scholarship issue.  The simple solution is to inform anyone who might have a scholarship fund raiser that they must inform SASS that the monies are to be used for that and nothing else.

Personally I for the life of me can't understand why I would contribute to the SASS museum, where if I want to visit I'll have to pay an admission fee. ???  The museum is probably a for profit enterprise, where the scholarship fund isn't. :(

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Offline Lou Graham

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 07:28:38 PM »
Whatever you think of some of the other things the SASS office has done, they got one thing right.  I have never met such a collection of wonderful people in any other organization I have belonged to.  From California to Maine, all points between and a few fine folks from other countries just for good measure.

I agree with the Marshal, they don't do it right all the time, but I will continue to belong.  We are wiser now.  We will ask more questions.  The membership has about doubled in 4 years time.  That's either a lot of growth to cope with or a powerful dose of ego builder.  Maybe some of both.
Soot Lady
You can never be too thin, too rich or have too much ammo

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 08:30:07 AM »
I certainly agree with that Miss Lou.  I believe that when they started out their founding principles, which are basically defined by the "Spirit of the Game" set the stage for all the good things we have.  This attracted the kind of people that like to help others and share their knowledge.

If for no other reason we owe them a debt of gratitude for that.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2005, 06:22:10 PM »
Good points and your usual good thinking, Marshal.  Heck, didn't we "join up" to have fun and enjoy?  As I observed several months ago SASS has GROWN and with the growth there are now some real issues that need to be addressed.  I think in
time we'll see a stronger organization so long as we all keep our perspective that this is a game, a sport, and we do it
voluntarily. 
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2005, 07:14:36 PM »
Whatever you think of some of the other things the SASS office has done, they got one thing right.  I have never met such a collection of wonderful people in any other organization I have belonged to.  From California to Maine, all points between and a few fine folks from other countries just for good measure.

I agree with the Marshal, they don't do it right all the time, but I will continue to belong.  We are wiser now.  We will ask more questions.  The membership has about doubled in 4 years time.  That's either a lot of growth to cope with or a powerful dose of ego builder.  Maybe some of both.

I'll agree that the great folks all over the world are a tribute to the Spirit of CAS.  I don't give SASS a great deal of credit for that.. It belongs to the local clubs.  And the numbers.. I don't think they've grown over the past two years, at least in terms of Chronicle numbers.

Adios,

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2005, 07:18:09 PM »
What is the fee to get into the museum?
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Badlands Walker

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2005, 09:23:54 PM »
Excellent post there Marshal.  I wish I could be as level headed about some of the issues with SASS as you!  I renew my membership every year because I too would like to see this sport continue.  The idea & concept of cowboy action shooting has been a love of mine since I was a child.  My father & I would go shootin' most weekends with a couple of old six-shooters & a lever action rifle that he had.  Boy, do I miss those days. :'(

IMHO, SASS needs to make some serious changes on many issues.  I would have to say that the first issue on my list would have to be The Wire.  What a nightmare that place is!  Don't get me wrong, there are some fine folks on there but, at the same time, there are many on there that should have been strung up long ago! >:(

I think that since I have been a member, I have learned that this is actually a rich man's sport & you need to really plan a budget to get what ya need or want, iffn' ya ain't no high dollar earner.  From talkin' to many of the members in the past two years, I have spoken with several who have dropped their memberships for that very reason.  SASS is just too expensive in many aspects for the average family workin' man.  I have checked on several items since bein' a member of SASS & found that most things, the museum, Founders Ranch membership, bein' a vendor and even a few items in the mercantile... are all priced way out of their league.  SASS has become a money making pit in my opinion & has lost the true meaning of what started this great sport. :'(

I guess it's like most things today though, politics & greed take over & ruin a good thing.  I hope that SASS continues for years to come, but for that to happen; many changes will need to be made.  Out with the old & in with the new, if ya will.  I'm more of a spectator than a participant and I am fine with that.  I have met some really great folks in CAS that I otherwise would have never met.  I have some true friends today because of it as well. :)

If SASS is to continue to grow, many things will need to change.  Whether that change takes place or not, is up to the powers to be.  If SASS fails, I think that there are enough serious members & lovers of the sport, that the tradition will carry on.  I had a pard tell me one time that SASS will never fail or fold.  I reminded him of the Rise & Fall of the Roman Empire. ;)

Just my two cents.  BW.

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2005, 12:53:18 AM »
As a relatively new member to SASS I have already noted some things I had no idea of before joining SASS. I already had all the guns I needed but one, a SxS shotgun, but took care of that before my first match. I have never had any trouble at local matches, everybody has been very friendly and helpful, and I joined two of the local SASS clubs in my area. I enjoy shooting in the matches and even shot a clean match on my 4th try. Most of the problems I detected when I joined the SASS wire. I've read some really bad threads about the happenings in the higher echelons of SASS, and have noted how they can be rather touchy about pet subjects on the wire. IMHO it isn't a real club if the membership doesn't elect the leadership or have a real chance to vote on or participate in addition, changes or deletions of rules or procedures, at the very least through our locally elected club officers.

It looks to me like SASS is a for-profit orgnization that sells folks like us a limited membership only to join the SASS and go to matches, without having any say on how the national outfit is run. As soon as I understood that, I knew where I stood in the grand scheme of things. As long as I give money, my membership dues, and abide by the rules that I have no say in, I can continue to say I'm a SASS member and shoot SASS matches and be a member of my local clubs.

So far I will probably continue to do just that, but I don't think SASS will get any more of my money then my membership fee without some accounting to us members of what it does with our money.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

Badlands Walker

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2005, 07:52:08 AM »
Big John Denny.  Well said pard & I will have to second that motion! ;)

Shoshone Slim

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 01:02:05 PM »
I renew my membership because I shoot in some of the larger matches where membership is required.  Having said that let's not confuse cowboy action shooting with SASS.  The WB got it going and SASS has been the biggest reason for the growth of the sport but they could close up Yorba Linda tomorrow and cowboy action shooting would continue.  The sport has gotten so big that it could and would survive the end of SASS.  As for as this being a rich man's sport I disagree.  Second hand guns, blue jeans, a work shirt, hat, boots and ammo.  $10 for most monthly shoots in these parts.  Yes you can spend a bundle but that's not necessary to shoot and have fun.

Badlands Walker

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2005, 04:47:05 PM »
Thats a good point Slim, but I was thinkin' more along the lines of the guns & ammo.  If you compare the price of these guns today vs. 10 or 15 years ago, they have trippled in price & maybe even more.  Yeah, we can shop around & find some nice used items out there, but most folks I have talked with want new!  I guess that's a personal choice!

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2005, 07:51:50 PM »
I agree with both Slim and Badlands,

You're supposed to be able to compete in relatively modest western dress, but we all know the others who have spent as much on their costumes as their guns don't like that a lot.

Not only are the rifles and shotguns getting more expensive everyday, those Italian replicas, all of which are now made by Uberti, no Mary Sue Navy Arms never made any guns just a profit, need a lot of work and other/better made parts just to shoot like they're supposed too.

If we bought a modern hunting rife for a cool grand and it didn't function and shoot well we'd all pitch a fit with the company that made it.

By the way Slim, love your motto, Don't let the bastards get you down.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com