Author Topic: What's your favorite Western?  (Read 259902 times)

Offline Silent Joe

• The Netherlands
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lady Lis and Me
Re: What's your favorite Western?
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2006, 01:01:10 pm »
My favorite Western Movie is "High Noon" with Cary Cooper. I've seen this movie in 1958 on TV and a couple of years back I've found it in a Music/Video shop. Next all the movies with Clint Eastwood, "Open Range"; Once Upon a Time and Texas Rangers.
The Secret of Life is One Thing..........Just One Thing! (Curly in City Slickers)
Citizen of CAS City #203 * SASS L # 10461 * SBSS # 2064 DWSA # 120 * GAF Intern. #694* IPSAC #43 * Prayer Posse * WartHog * B.o.t.A. >>>------>*

Offline Blondetta

• that blonde gal
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2006, 06:24:20 pm »
Mc Clintock is my number one favorite, the Shootist, Quigley, Tombstone, The Quick & The Dead, crossfire Trail, too many to list after my favorite one...
Miz Blondetta
Army vet, GAF #291, SASS #28760, NRA, GOA. Lady WartHog, RATS #102

Offline Rattler

• Citizen
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2006, 07:33:13 am »
Movie: The Cowboys
Book: Log of a Cowboy by Andy Adams
           Great stuff............. :)

Offline Kid Gonzo

• Citizen
  • me and my Paso Fino / Spanish Mustang "Desi" !!!
    • Less Is More Horsemanship...NO Whips...NO Bits...NO Spurs!!!
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2006, 07:47:19 pm »
my favorites?!!!!

THE COWBOYS - John Wayne...phenomenal movie....absolute classic...PERIOD...End of discussion on this one!!!! Dont even argue with me on this one or I will shoot your testicles off!!!And if you dont get misty eyed when John Wayne dies in this movie, then your powder is too wet and you should just stay home and watch 'Desperate Houswives' with your woman.

EL DORADO - John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, James Caan
This is a "remake" ( or sorts) of one of John Wayne's older movies "Rio Bravo"...this is just a great basic western

I always quote the entire poem from El Dorado. It is actually Edgar Allen Poe who wrote it...here is a piece of the poem that "Mississippi" (James Caan) recites...

"When at last his strength, failed him at length, he came across a pilgrim shadow
Shadow, said he...where could it be, this land called El Dorado?
Over the mountains and the moon
Down the valley of the shadow
Ride, Boley ride, the shade replied
In search of El Dorado"

BIG JAKE  if anything happens at all. Anything. My fault, your fault, nobody's fault, I'm gonna blow your head off."

OUTLAW JOSEY WALES Of course....if you didnt mention this movie, then you just plain suck at picking westerns! LOL

TOM HORN with Steve McQueen.....should be on everyone's list!!!!

SILVERADO - I know, I know...not authentic and campy but I love it anyway...love the sound of those Henry Rifles in the movie

QUICK AND THE DEAD - The original, NOT the piece of crap with Sharon Stone in it...Kate Capshaw is one CURVACEOUS woman in this movie....OMG!!!!

THE SACKETTS!!!! back in the days of the old HBO westerns...classic with the same bunch of actors who paried up for The Shaodw Riders.

THE LONG RIDERS!!!  A lot of you younger guys probably have never heard of this one....this should rate close to the very top....dont watch it on tv...rent the DVD and see the entire movie...

OPEN RANGE with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall

LONESOME DOVE  a classic as well......

MY NAME IS NOBODY Terrence Hill and Henry Fonda...jsut plain spaghetti western fun.

LAST TRAIN TO GUNHILL Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn

IN PURSUIT OF HONOR with Don Johnson...retelling of a true story of U.S. Cavalry who, after being replaced by the new mechanized infantry, are ordered to take 400 cavalry remounts down to Mexico where they will be slaughtered since they are no longer needed. Johnson and others decide to save the horse and drive the herd north to Canada with the mechanized infantry giving chase...HBO movie...not bad....love the story

MAGNIFICENT SEVEN the original...not the sequel and certainly not the tv series....

THE SEARCHERS

THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER

You know, a lot of the modern 'westerns' just dont cut it for me much...I DO appreciate Tom Selleck trying hard to stay with authentic period guns and clothing and making decent westerns. Monty Walsh remake was great. He is a good horseman.

I used to love all the Spaghetti westerns......

Of course, to tell the truth, any John Wayne movie....

Anyone remember "Gunfight"....or was it "Gunfighter" ...with Johnny Cash?

I do like the old "Support Your Local Sherrif / Gunfighter" movies....almost all of Henry Fonda movies.....I loved all the light humor classic westerns of my youth....

Hey, does "Dances With Wolves" count?! How about "Windwalker" and "Winterhawk"? "The Mountain Men" or "Jeremiah Johnson"....?

I love Dances With Wolves (although not a 'western').....since I am a Native Maerican history major and, at 43 years of age, have been learning the  Lakota dialect of the Sioux language.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 09:13:16 pm by Kid Gonzo »
When at last his strength, failed him at length, he came across a pilgrim shadow
Shadow, said he...where could it be, this land called El Dorado?
Over the mountains and the moon
Down the valley of the shadow
Ride, Boley ride, the shade replied
In search of El Dorado"

Offline Gaucho

• Citizen
  • You want a lot more than that from me, lady.
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2006, 07:34:58 pm »
Hombre with Paul Newman is one of my favorites. It's no great shakes as an epic western, but when it stands against the other run-of-the-mill western flicks of the day, it's a star. The budget isn't super, but the story is breathtaking and the acting, at times, superb, especially on Newman's part. The main thing you must remember with this one is to take a step back from mindless viewer to looking at how you could see real people act and talk in such a situation. The fact that the dialogue is often dry is a testimony to the fact that it was written with real people, not characters, in mind. The memorable lines are not so because of some pop-culture appeal, or because they sound neat, like "Do you feel lucky, punk?", but they are memorable because they are flat-out real. A highly recommended film.

Offline RowdyBill

• Very Active Citizen
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2006, 08:45:27 pm »
More and more, my favorite westerns are turning out to be classic John Wayne movies.  Love Rio Bravo and just watched the War Wagon again and really like that.  The difference between today's westerns and the Duke's films?  Today's westerns, many of them, seem to take a revisionist approach, capturing the West as dirty and perverted to some degree.  The Duke's westerns captured the "better times" of the West, drinking, sitting by a campfire, comaraderie, etc.  The real Old West must have been beautiful.

Offline tarheel mac

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Number 69437 WARTHOG!
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2006, 09:27:31 am »
to me when you talk about John Wayne Westerns, then the best of them was his last, "The Shootist, with "The Cowboys" right behind..or maybe tied with it. 

Then "Lonesome Dove" followed by "Tombstone", Sellecks "Crossfire Trail"  "Quigley Down Under," and "Monte Walsh"

And the comedic Westerns, "Cat Ballou" "Support Your Local Sheriff" and one that hasn't been mentioned "The Villian" with Kirk Douglas, Ann-Margret (handing over her luggage in a low cut dress, leaning over them and purring..."Could you take a hold of these, please?") It's a real slapstick "Road Runner vs Coyote" type movie, but still pretty funny.

Offline Patriot49

• Citizen
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2006, 09:13:09 pm »
Let's get a sort of poll going here on your favorite Western.  I personally lean toward the comedy westerns. " How the West was Fun".  Among them are:  "Evil Roy Slade",  "Rustlers Rhapsody", "The Hallelujah Trail", "The Cheyenne Social Club", "Support Your Local Gunfighter", "Support your Local Sheriff"and "Waterhole #3".  I never saw a John Wayne movie I didn't like.  I have to be honest.  I didn't care all that much about the Clint Eastwood Speghetti Westerns.  They was somewhat close to reality, but they just didn't grab me like other Westerns have done.  Of course, the old Roy, Gene and Hoppy classics have always been favorites.  I grew up with those! 

So lets have it here!  What is/was your favorite Western?

A modern favorite of mine is  Tombstone starring Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, and Sam Elliott.  Enjoyed that thoroughly.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2006, 11:30:46 am »
See my list of "ten Favorite Western movies and you'll have my answer to this poll.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Patriot49

• Citizen
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2006, 05:42:15 pm »
I am wild about Tombstone.  As for others I like, the Magnificent Seven, John Wayne's later movies,
Pale Rider, and I also like the Sci Fi West World.

Offline Gaucho

• Citizen
  • You want a lot more than that from me, lady.
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2006, 07:21:54 pm »
The Man from Snowy River is pretty good, too.

Offline Dirty Dan Dawkins

• Wyoming or bust!
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Mid Ga's electric cowboy
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2006, 11:12:58 pm »
Hmmm...."Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" Oh wait that ain't a western
The Cowboys
Blazin Saddles
McClintock
Winchester 73
Silverado
Dances with wolves ( More for the scenes , music, cinematography)
And for some reason Dark Command, guess I find that scene before Cantrell raids the town and the judge gets up and flips the lights on. Watch it, you'll see. I do get sick of hearing about Texas though.
Sorry, but all in all I like hokie, comical, inaccurate westerns best. Too much seriousness in my life to critique everything or to watch drama. Just like the action.
Any John Wayne or  about any b budget western. Bronson and Eastwood ok but a far cry from the Duke. His only equal is Jimmy Stewart.
I play cards with J.D. Shellnut....chief of Police...SO get off my a**!!!!!!!!!!

Offline gotzguns

• Very Active Citizen
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2006, 02:53:26 am »
  valdes is coming
  winchester 73
  hondo
  outlaw jose wales
 any john ford western
cullpeper cattle company

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2006, 08:41:25 am »
I like Duke of course, Jimmy Stewart is great, Gary Cooper, Gregory Peck, Eastwood, Randolph Scott. I also like Tommy Lee Jones, he was supurb as Woodrow Call, and good in Missing, The last one I've seen starring him is s-l-o-w, the primise is good in 'the Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada' but the story drags and drags and d----ags-----
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Blue Steel Traveller

• Active citizen
  • I've Been Everywhere
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2006, 01:24:28 pm »
Tom Horn - Linda Evans in the water
Big Jake - Richard Boone as Fein, played the most ruthless character of any movie (not just Westerns)
Searchers - Ol Mose sure was crazy

Ornery Orr

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2006, 01:47:10 pm »
In the late 70's or early 80's there was a movie in the theaters based on The Lone Ranger T.V. series.  I don't remember what the movie was titled or who starred in it.  That was pretty good since I had grown up on The Lone Ranger and Hopalong Cassidy.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2006, 03:46:35 pm »
In the late 70's or early 80's there was a movie in the theaters based on The Lone Ranger T.V. series.  I don't remember what the movie was titled or who starred in it.  That was pretty good since I had grown up on The Lone Ranger and Hopalong Cassidy.
I believe it was titled "The Legend of the Lone Ranger" ??? it had to be in the early or mid eighties because my son was old enough then to apprecate it just as I was in the fifties to enjoy the T.V. series. ;D
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2006, 07:11:36 pm »
1. Lonesome Dove
2. Unforgiven
3. True Grit
4. Tombstone
5. The Shootist
6. The Man Who Shot Liberity Vance
7. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
8. Big Country (I think it is the title with Gregory Peck)
9. Long Riders
10. Silverado
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Offline Three Legged Pete

• Citizen
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2006, 12:20:36 pm »
I'm a little late to this here hoe down, but I'll put my two bits worth in anyway.  I know it ain't authentic, but I haven't seen anybody mention "The Balad of Cable Hogue" with Jason Robards.  Great movie, and Stella Stevens (showin my age here) ain't bad neither.  Love the line in there where somebody tells Robard's character "Vengence is mine, sayeth the Lord".  He replies "Thats fine with me.  Long as he don't take too long and I get to watch."  Hell, who ain't felt like that at one time or another.

Offline Virginia Reb

• Active citizen
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2006, 02:05:52 pm »
To put movie titles down would be way to long of a list for me.  So, I will just put down my favorite actors in westerns and some of my favorite movies by them.

1) John Wayne (Rio Lobo, Chisum)
2) Jimmy Stewart (The Man from Laramie, Bend in the River, The Man who Shot Liberty Valence)
3) Glen Ford (Cowboy, The Fastest Gun Alive)
4) Gary Cooper (High Noon)
5) Audie Murphy (The Quick Gun, No Name on the Bullet)
6) Sam Elliott (Tombstone, The Shadow Riders)
7) Clint Eastwood (Unforgiven, The Outlow Josey Wales)

This is just a short list.  I pretty much haven't seen a western movie that I didn't like.  There are many other actors and movies that I didn't list here

W.T.

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2006, 10:17:07 pm »
Most underrated Western with great performances (Harry Dean Stanton, Marlon Brando, Jack Nicholson) is the bizarre & slightly psycho "Missouri Breaks" ("He shot my dog 'cause he caught him puttin' his tongue on a pat of butter.  I wanted to put a bullet in his brain-pan.")

"Tom Horn" is the Steve McQueen movie.

"Unforgiven" - has it all.

"The Long Riders" - just plain cool.

"The Grey Fox" - with Richard Farnsworth ranks up there with "The Shootist" as a man-out-of-his-time theme piece.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2006, 05:48:03 am »
Tombstone & Quigley.
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2006, 08:05:38 pm »
This is a tough one.  I can't think of one that is my absolute favorite.  There are too many that I like a lot.

But here is a partial list in no particular order.

Open Range(watching it right now on the tv)
Tombstone(like it seems everybody else I like Kilmer's Doc)
The Mountain Men("Never been lost.  Fearsome confused for a month or two, but never lost.")
Outlaw Josey Wales
Support Your Local Sheriff
McClintock
Big Jake
Rio Lobo
Quigley Down Under
The Long Riders(especially the period music throughout the movie.)
And thanks to the Westerns Channel I've been introduced to Hopalong Cassidy.  I'm too young to have seen those movies in their heyday, but now with DVD's I can watch them any time I want to.  I love those Hoppy movies.

Ransom Gaer

Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Offline Free Hand

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2006, 11:37:07 am »
                 Tombstone, Quigley, Frisco Kid with Harrison Ford and Gene Wilder, Pale Riider, Blazing Saddles, and, If they're right for the category, The Alamo (John Wayne's, haven't seen the newest one) and Jeremiah Johnson.

Free Hand.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 07:08:13 pm by Free Hand »
"If you can't be part of the solution, at least don't be part of the problem"
"America is too great for small ideas"
"Trust in The Lord, but keep yer powder dry"
"America bless God"
 "There ain't no sucha thing as a free lunch!"

Offline Dirty30

• Citizen
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2007, 09:44:06 am »
Here goe's...
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The Outlaw Josie Wales
For a Few Dollars More
True Grit
High plains drifter
Tombstone
Wyatt Earp
The Unforgiven
Open Range
Blazing Saddles
...One more that probably only I consider a western...
Last Man Standing. (here it comes) ::)
Pull, Lemule!

Menu Editor Pro 1.0.2 | Copyright 2014, Matthew Kerle