Author Topic: New Stoeger  (Read 6345 times)

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Stoeger
« on: January 15, 2005, 10:29:37 PM »
Howdy Folks.

I went out today to give my new Stoeger a try along with others and boy did I have some bad luck.  The right side began to misfire :'(.  Is misfiring a common problem?  I don't think that it should be, but I just wanted to check with you folks before I go back to the store.

My other bad luck was with my .357.  It too started to misfire :'(.  This is only the second time out since I had an action job done on it.  Boy! I have the worst luck ever!!  Could it have anything to do with the ammo?  I was using reloads from Alabama Ammo.

Your input is much appreciated!
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
Re: New Stoeger
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 10:46:49 PM »
What was the ambient temp at the range? otherwise maybe a burr on a firing pin hanging it up. for the reloads, maybe the primers are CCI's? With lighter springs sometimes a change to Federal primers is in order. The CCI's have tougher cup metal and are sometimes harder to light. Just some suggestions off the top of my head...................Buck 8) ??? :-\
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 11:11:46 PM »
An awful lot of folks put mainsprings into guns that are too light.  They end up being unreliable.

Check the marks on the primers for those rounds that didn't go off.  Bet they have a very light strike.

Assuming this is the problem, a heavier spring ought to fix it (at least for the pistol).

Is the shotgun in stock condition?

Doc

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:21:06 PM »

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 11:40:25 PM »
Four-eyed Buck: It was chilly, but not cold.  I guestimate that it was around forty degrees.  I'll check on the burr theory.  As for the pistol ammo, I bought it at a gun show since I don't do any reloading myself.  It was made by Alabama Ammo and am unsure of which primers they use.  I haven't had much problem with their product and since this was my last box perhaps it was just a bad production run. 

Yes Doc, the shotgun is out of the box.  The primers have very shallow,off-center dimples.  Not every shot out of the right tube failed, just some. 

"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 12:29:36 AM »
I don't know much about the workings of the Stoegers, but there's a problem.  Likely a burr in the bushing the firing pin goes through on it's way to the primer.  I suggest you get it to a local 'smith for a little action work and a fix.

Doc

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 08:59:48 PM »
Thanks for the advise folks.  I looked at the Stoeger, but could find nothing out of the ordinary other than that it was strikng off center.  The good thing is that I bought it new, so I'll just take it back for them to have a look. 

As for the pistol, I'm going to explore your idea about the spring, Doc.

Thanks again!

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 04:20:53 AM »
Trinity, I was wondering if you got the problem with the Stoeger rectified? I was curious was going to go buy one today...
Mathew 5.9

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 12:59:22 PM »
Well, Lil Rooster... This is kind of embarrassing, but...  I did take it back to the shop where I bought it and they fixed it.  However I have yet to give it a try since.  ::)  I don't live near a range and it's a pain to round up a buddy for the hour and a quarter drive to a range.

Sorry I can't give you any positive feedback, but I can say that I honesty feel that my experience was an exception.  There are just soooo many happy cowboys with Stoegers that I don't think you'll have any problems.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 04:26:50 PM »
Trinty thank you, I think I am going to at least go head an order the one I want, I don't care for the nickle barrels(personal preference). The price seems fair, Gives me time to squirrel a few acorns away for th 97 win I would rather have...Thanks for the imput
Mathew 5.9

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2005, 04:59:39 PM »

Litl Rooster, I agree with you.  The nickle barrels may be easier to clean but they just don't have the charm!  ;D ;D Good luck!

Offline jrdudas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2005, 05:03:32 PM »
I have a Stoeger Uplander that I bought new specifically to use in CAS.  I read several articles that stressed the need to use cleaning solution on the firing mechanism.  I did that and followed the cleaner with some Remington lubricant.  I have fired about 125 shots with it at the Trap range and experienced no misfires.  I'm glad that I did not buy it to use for Trap because I didn't hit many of the clays, but others tried it and had good luck.

John

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005, 04:50:55 AM »
jr, shooting clays is a whole different ball game... Every gun shop I have been in shows me the uplander first, it's nice gun.  If you want to shoot clays you might want to find a range and take a lesson or two.  The lead and the way you sight the target are different and once you learn it, shooting clays are fun.
Mathew 5.9

Offline jrdudas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 08:49:58 AM »
Litl Rooster,  I have shot Trap a few times (certainly not enough to be good at it) with a couple of other shotguns that I have.  They are both single barrel, one is a pump and the other a single shot.  I have much better luck hitting the clays with either of those guns.  Both have longer barrels which for me personnally works better for the moving target.  My Stoeger has a 26" barrel and seems to be fine for stationary targets, but I seem to need the longer sight-plane for the clays.  The Stoeger also has variable chokes (internal) that come from the factory as "full" and "modified" (I think).  I guess some shooters prefer two different chokes; before I shoot CAS with the Stoeger I want to get another choke so that both barrels will be the same.  Everyone who has tried my Stoeger had positive comments about it.  I'm hoping it will work well for CAS.

John

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 08:36:25 PM »
well after giving up on the dealer I origanally went to, I made some calls and found the Stoeger I wannted in stock in Winchester. So I have my match shotgun now. I shot 50 rounds this weekend and no problems. A little stiff yet when it opens, see how it is in a couple of weeks.  I bought the coach model. Thanks for the insight on them....
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com