Author Topic: Reloading equipment  (Read 13214 times)

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Reloading equipment
« on: April 26, 2008, 08:15:18 AM »
Any pards have suggestions on what a greenhorn to reloading should start out with? I have read and heard from others Dillion presses are about the best. But I do not want to start out with that kind of expense. Thank you ahead of time for your comments.

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Reloading equipment
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 09:00:13 AM »
I second the request!

PH, I'm in the same boat.  Impression I have so far is that single stage is the way to learn what reloading's all about.  And of course include reloading book(s) in your budget!

With this perspective, I was thinking kit was the way to go.  I was eyeing the Lee 50th Anniversary, then figured $10 more for their Breech Lock Challenger Press Kit which I've seen on-line for less than $100.  Have to buy the dies separately, and Lee seems to be highly regarded.  Lastly, I think that carbide is recommended for pistol dies.  And Lee offers a book.  So for one-stop get up and go, that's the direction I'm headed, but hope others chime in with their opinions/experiences.

I know they will...

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline crossdraw

• Top Active Citizen
  • RATS #361
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 09:31:20 AM »
I am just starting out also. I was planning on a Dillon but bought a used RCBS and Hornady/Pacific along with several other items (in an earlier post) instead. The Hornady and RCBS are very similar and appear to be well built and others have been telling me they just don't wear out, I guess I will find out.

Find as many manuals as you can, from what I have seen they all have similar information but one may go into greater detail on a particular subject as opposed to another or may explain something better than the others. The load recipes vary some also.

There is some good free info on the net such as http://www.reloadbench.com/menu2.html  and http://www.reloadammo.com/ plus several others including the bullet and powder manufacturers. (Remember use caution with what you find on private pages)

If you do a Google search for "building a reloading bench" you can find several good ideas for your bench.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:59:29 AM »

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 09:36:22 AM »
I just started Reloading last year. I use the following equipment to load .38 Special cartridges :

Lee Classic Turret Press with 2-turrets
Lee Carbide Pistol dies with 2-sets of dies
Lee Powder measure
RCBS Rangemaster 750 Electronic scale
RCBS Hand priming tool

With the above setup I've been able monitor each operation and learn the basics of reloading. I estimate that I can reload approx. 100 cartridges per hour overall. At this point I'm concerned about quality and safety rather than speed. Some day I may get a Hornady Lock n Load Progressive press or a Dillon 650 Progressive press.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 01:22:55 PM »
all are good for starting on,  to see if you really enjoy reloading. check ebay, you will find good deals, if you wait and watch on all the equipment you need. :)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 10:35:57 PM »
If you are just starting out the Lee Anniversary kit single stage is hard to beat, price-wise. It may seem slow but it will be easier to monitor each step of the reloading process and then when it's time to move up to a more sophisticated set-up you can still incorporate the Lee components, - maybe saving and using the single stage press just for de-capping or the like.

Depending on the caliber you're reloading, the advantage of using dies like Dillon offers is that they are a two-part die, you can have the body screwed in to your press yet pull the cotter pin holding the interior sleeve and drop it out of the die body to clean and clear residue buildup of lead shavings and lube, then reinsert it.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 10:58:53 PM »
I agree with getting into reloading as cheaply as possible. Start simple and work up when you have the cash to throw down.

I used Lee single-stage presses for years before getting my Dillon. They work great and for a while, I had three of them set up at the same time so I simply moved from press to press rather than re-do the dies.

The Hornady Lock-n-Load system is great because you set the dies once and simply lift them out to switch back and forth between them. New MSRP $141 for just the press or $349 for the kit with everything you need to start reloading. You may be able to pick up one of those presses on ebay if you look.
Hornady Lock-n-Load Classic

You can save a chunk of change by getting the Dillon 550B when the time comes to upgrade. There is more stuff available for those and the heads and other doo-dads are way cheaper to pick up. Sure, you have to advance it manually and it only holds 4 dies instead of 5 but they are the simplest design. I can knock out 4-6 boxes an hour with mine. I have done as much as 8 boxes in an hour, but that's pushing it and I like to take my time to insure everything is right while I go.

Oh, yeah, I use Lee carbide 3-die sets and pick up the factory crimp die for crimping. I use the seat/crimp die out of the set just to seat the bullet.

OK, I hope that helps with your decisions.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 09:58:49 AM »
I'm gonna chime in with Johnny McCrea for the Lee Classic Turret. I knew nothing about reloading and wanted to make sure I understood every step. The Lee Classic Turret can be used as a single stage or with turret engaged, and is very easy operate, plus it helped me to understand what to expect in a progressive. A Hornady LNL or Dillon 650 is now on my wish list. One way to skip this process is to find a couple of pards who reload and check out the differant machines before you buy. Most important is to pick up a couple of good reload manuals. They go into detail what, where, why, and when for each step, plus they have cutaway drawings and pictures of the dies and ammo. The ones I chose are Lee Modern Reloading, Lymans 48th Editon, and Lyman Shotshell Reloading. Kempfs has package deals with everything included to get you started, the Pro Auto Disk and Auto Disk Riser is a must have upgrade. Good Luck.
http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products/reloading/completerelo/KempfKit.html

Jefro,  Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 10:05:32 AM »
You can also look on www.gunbroker.com if your looking for a used press Its an auction site like ebay but deals in mostly firearms and related items.  I started with a RCBS Rockchucker and its what I still use.  I am never in a hurry when I load so I dont need a progressive.
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 12:39:20 PM »
I started with a Lee single stage press, an auto disk powder measure from Lee, and a Lee priming tool.  It was the best way to learn.  It lets you work through each step slowly and get a feel for it and it is economical.  If you are thinking about eventually shooting Black Powder you are going to be loading in stages anyway so faster or more complex equipment isn't going to benefit you that much.  Looking on Gunbroker is a good idea, sometimes you will also find good buys on www.auctionarms.com for reloading equipment too.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 04:06:41 PM »
If you are thinking about eventually shooting Black Powder you are going to be loading in stages anyway so faster or more complex equipment isn't going to benefit you that much.

I have given my pledge to the Holy Black...

I'm glad you made that comment.  I may not have found this out until later.  This forum is so useful.  Thank you.

I believe I shall approach the Missus for permission to spend a portion of the stimulus check on an American made Lee Breech Lock Challenger Press Kit.  I think I prefer the Safety Prime.  Set of dies, 45 Colt Carbide 4 Die Set for the revolver and Lee 44/40 die set (steel) for the rifle, bullet puller, case length guages, and book.  $200 delivered.  I think she'll go for it.

Don't know diddly about tumbler and media.  Yet...  ;)  Figure I can make loading blocks.  Other than the components themselves, anything else necessary to purchase?

BP

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 04:27:29 PM »
That sounds like a good place to start. If you are going to be loading Holy Black you might want to add a Lee Dipper set, they are less that $10 and I use them when loading BP.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 04:50:41 PM »
That sounds like a good place to start. If you are going to be loading Holy Black you might want to add a Lee Dipper set, they are less that $10 and I use them when loading BP.

Noted.  Thanks.

BP

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 06:44:47 PM »
I use a pistol powder flask with the spout cut to the proper length to give the charge that I want.  I ALWAYS check the powder in the spout and then in the case to be sure that there will be some compression.  It works well for me.  It is another option.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 10:01:55 PM »
for a tumbler I would go with the Frankfort Arsenal kit Midway USA sells its a good bargin and works good for what I use it for

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=414369&t=11082005
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 06:26:30 AM »
Howdy

The perenial question. I am personally of the opinon that it is best to learn reloading on a single stage press, I taught myself with an old Lyman Spartan press that I bought used for $50 at a gunshow.

HOWEVER, it is completely feasable to learn on a progressive machine, IF and ONLY IF, you have the patience and discipline to load one round at a time through the machine until you thoroughly understand what is happening at each and every station. This does not mean running 3 rounds through the machine and then going to full auto. Anything less and you will learn to be a machnine operator, but you will not learn much about reloading.

If you are thinking about eventually shooting Black Powder you are going to be loading in stages anyway so faster or more complex equipment isn't going to benefit you that much. 

????? I load Black Powder on my Hornady Lock & Load AP with a Lyman Black Powder measure mounted on it. Been doing so for about 4 years now.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 08:14:20 AM »
I certainly agree with Driftwood’s comments. When I started to reload, a friend gave me his Dillon 550 press to use. I did learn how to operate the machine using the excellent instructional Video from Dillon. Now please don’t get me wrong the Dillon is a very good machine.  I just felt that it was too fast for a beginner like myself. I wanted to learn and monitor each individual operation.

I’m using the Lee Classic Turret Press in sort of a semi-progressive mode:
1) I install a turret with (2) sizing-decapping dies and (2) expander dies. I insert a case,   
    size-decap then index the turret. I then expand the case and index the turret. I remove         
    the case, insert a fresh case and start the process again.
2) I clean the cases with Simple Green and run a brush in the primer pockets.
3) I prime off press using an RCBS Hand Priming Tool.
4) I charge the cases off press using a Lee Perfect Powder Measure checking every tenth                       
    case for the correct charge. I charge in lots of 50 per tray and then check the tray for   
    double charges or no charges at all.
5) I then install a turret with (2) bullet seating dies and (2) crimp dies. I insert a case &                         
    bullet, seat the bullet then index the turret. I then crimp the case and index the turret. I                 
    remove the case, insert a fresh case & bullet and start the process again. During this operation I will   
    periodically check the overall length.
Please note that the turret will index automatically with each pull of the lever. With this method I get two separate press operations with one case insertion into the shell holder.

(picture of turrets) http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/Reloading/100_0293.jpg

So far I’ve loaded over 3500 rounds in .38 special. I feel that I’m able to monitor each operation with this method. Eventually I want to learn how to reload black powder cartridges. I also want to learn to reload .45-70 cartridges for my Sharps. For this I will use a Lee Classic Cast press.  As I’ve mentioned, someday I may get myself a Dillon 650 or a Hornady Lock n Load progressive press. 

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Compass Will

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 05:31:43 PM »
I have the Lee Deluxe 4 Hole Turret Press Kit with Auto Index.  Add the Auto prime and the auto-disk riser (this should be included with the kit), and the dies of your choice.  I bought the Deluxe pistol dies that include the factory crimp die.

I use it in auto mode for pistol, then remove the auto index and you can do longer shells in manual mode.  (32 winchester special and 45-70 don't work in auto mode, the bullets hit on the die as the turret turns after the last stage).

Advantages:
Cost.
Once you set the dies, they stay set.  You don't have to re-mount them every time you need them.
If you load a 2nd caliper, just buy another 4 hole turret top (under $10.00)

I also have the micro measure disk for the auto disk powder measure but I think I have used it once.
I did later buy the lee perfect powder measure for larger then pistol cases instead of the double disk kit for the auto disk powder measure that came with the kit.

With both powder measures, I find if you keep them at least 1/2 full they are more accurate.

Disavanatges: 
Some times the auto index don't exactly 100% index, but its not a problem to give it a nudge when needed.
The last 2 primers will not feed in the auto prime.
the perfect powder measure will lead a crumb or 2 of powder at times.
Also the perfect powder can be tough to figure out how to make it auto, but I only use it on rifle cases which i am doing manual anyway.
Be very careful with the screws that mount the Auto disk hopper to the charger, there only plastic threads.

My Neighbor is just starting to reload, I have recommended the same press to him.
SASS 79000

Offline JL McGillicuddy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 12:30:18 PM »
When I began reloading for CAS it was my first time reloading for any reason.  I went with a Lee 4 hole turret press to start as it seemed both easy and inexpensive.  It allowed me to run my ammo through one process at a time like a simple single stage press, but also to leave my dies set up and adjusted.  If I had to do it again, I would have spent the 10 or 20 extra bucks and gotten the Classic Turret Press from Lee.  That one has the spent primers pushed out through the bottom of the ram and not going all over the room.  (I tried everything I could think of, they still fly around.)  I was priming using an RCBS hand primer and hand weighing each charge.  Everything else was done on the Lee. 

When finances permitted it, I picked up a Dillon xl650.  That has been a lifesaver. 

I used the Lee to get used to what I was doing, how things should feel, etc.  Now that I am comfortable with that, I feel confident using the Dillon to load my ammo.  I was able to run about 50 rounds an hour at a relaxed pace with the Lee turret the way I was running it.  With the Dillon at a relaxed pace, I can run 100 rounds in 15 minutes. 

That makes a lot of difference for me as I am loading for two of us and 6 hours was an awful lot of time to spend getting set up for a match.

I still load my BP ammo on my Lee turret with a Lyman 55 BP measure to throw the powder charges.

Hope this is some help!
Jack Lee

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 01:15:05 PM »
Anybody using a standard RCBS uniflow powder measure for black powder? I've talked to old timers who've been using these for BP for 40 years. I wasn't too hep on it untill I bought my last batch of BP the other day...It comes in plastic cans now! :o So, I figure it's all right to use the RCBS powder measure....... plastic powder cans, plastic powder bin, what's the diff?......I've loaded a few cartridges with it and so far haven't blown up..... ;)
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com