Author Topic: Just recently watched Geronimo: An American Legend  (Read 7519 times)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Just recently watched Geronimo: An American Legend
« on: March 29, 2008, 10:51:18 AM »
And my question is, how authentic are the uniforms?  The soldiers are wearing 1876 coats with 1884 trousers.  So, didn't the Army come out with an 1884 Canvas blouse to go with the 1884 Canvas trousers?  Why would they wear an 1876 blouse with the 1884 trousers?
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Zouave Officer

• Carolina Zouave
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Death Or Glory!
    • Palmetto Riflemen & New York Zouaves
  • Liked:
Re: Just recently watched Geronimo: An American Legend
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 11:30:10 AM »
I haven't seen the movie lately so I can't really recall anything about it in particular, but if I had to wager a guess, I'd say that some of the Soldiers probaly did mix and match in the fashion the Officers would have. I also think it would have depended upon how well supplied your post Quartermaster was.

But I'm going of a theory and don't know for fact, just basing it off the assumption that the Quartermaster, like the paymaster, is always a day late and a dollar short.  ;D
- Captain, "Palmetto Riflemen" & "New York Zouaves."
- Charles Devens Jr. Camp No. 10, Sons of Union Veterans.
- Micah J. Jenkins Camp No. 164, Sons of Spanish American War Veterans.

"There’s no use dodging. You will be hit when your body and bullets are at the same place at the same time….
Captain Henry J. Reilly, Battery F, 5th U.S. Artillery, 1898.

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 12:05:54 PM »
I am rewatching now and Gatewood is wearing nonregulation trousers.  I am paying close attention to the leather and accutraments.  Good stuff...
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:36:28 PM »

Offline Zouave Officer

• Carolina Zouave
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Death Or Glory!
    • Palmetto Riflemen & New York Zouaves
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 12:09:11 PM »
I reckon I'm going to need to find me a copy of this and watch it, we used to have it on VHS, however I do not know where it has disappered to.
- Captain, "Palmetto Riflemen" & "New York Zouaves."
- Charles Devens Jr. Camp No. 10, Sons of Union Veterans.
- Micah J. Jenkins Camp No. 164, Sons of Spanish American War Veterans.

"There’s no use dodging. You will be hit when your body and bullets are at the same place at the same time….
Captain Henry J. Reilly, Battery F, 5th U.S. Artillery, 1898.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 03:37:38 PM »
"Uniforms" in the Frontier Army in the field were very loosey-goosey. Most of the troops and the officers saved their best regulation uniforms for garrison and dress.  As a result, you could see virtually anything (up until the khakie stuff came out), including stuff left over fromt the War.  By 1886, most of the pre-1872 clothing was probably used up.

As to leather, there are a number of pictures in various books showing troops wearing anything from regulation issue (probably Pattern 1881 with the 3rd version enlarged loops for wear on the Mills belts) to civilian open top, Mexican loop holsters and "ranger" style belts!  The open-top civilian holsters, as well as ones designed by several officers (including Capt. Fechet, Commanding Co. G, 8th Cav.), were fabricated by saddlers and issued to the troopers.  Some, like Capt. Fechet's were submitted to the Ordnance Dept., but none were adopted.  These were particularly used in the Southwest, where the weather wasn't so inclement in the winter.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 04:03:51 PM »
The Army's adoption, in the field in the warmer climates, of non-regulation canvas clothing goes back quite a bit before this. Had it's origins in canvas clothing intended for stable fatigue duty. Particularly trowsers as they were the most susceptible to wear and tear by hard campaigning.

From Campaign Clothing: Field Uniforms of the Indian War Army 1872-1886 by Lee A. Rutledge, 1997

". . .but Captain John G. Bourke, 3rd Cavalry, documented their field use about 1873. Captain Bourke had this to say in On The Border With Crook (1892):
"At Camp Verde (Arizona Territory) we found assembled nearly all of (General George) Crook's command, and a dirtier, greasier, more uncouth-looking set of officers and men it would be hard to encounter anywhere. Dust, soot, rain, and grime had made their impress upon the canvas suits which each had donned. . . ." Presumably, their outfits were Army-issue stable frocks and overalls.
 . . Their use led directly to adoption of canvas fatigues in the 1880's, the canvas combat uniform of 1898 and, ultimately, to modern-day military field outfits."
"Without a doubt, the common practice of wearing canvas work garments on campaign had the greatest impact; within a few years only canvas field garments were issued."

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 04:39:31 PM »
As an aside Riley Flinn was the historical adviser ( he also played Capt Ragsdale), he was also a good friend and we work along side on several shoots.
Riley had a great knowledge of the era, and the statement made "Uniforms" in the Frontier Army in the field were very loosey-goosey". is quite correct.
I provided Riley with non-reg several holsters for "Buffalo Sholdiers"
He made every attenpt within his budget to get it right....

My friend Riley Flynn passed several years ago... Geronimo: An American Legend was one of his last films.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 09:02:33 PM »
... And I enjoy it, every time I re-watch it.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 11:24:16 PM »
You caught this on AMC, didn't you? I watched part of it myself this week as I haven't seen it since it first came out. Man, what a long movie it is! As for the uniforms, that stuff was researched and made by the Craig Nannos of "Sentry Post," an outfit that makes reproduction stuff only for big named museums and movie companies. Hey do not have any website. Normal re-enactors can't afford their stuff. A buddy of mine checked once. Trust me, they wanted WAY more than any other vendor. That being said, they generally do very good work and in my opinion, wouldn't go to the trouble of making something that wasn't well documented. Sometimes though, the movie costumes folks mess up what was made for them, like what was done for "Rough Riders," on TNT (added officer shoulder boards on wool shirts, horrible modern metal insignias on many uniforms of 'other that principal actors', etc). 

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 12:25:38 AM »
The Sentry Post is no longer in business.  Mr. Nanos has taken employment with the DoD History dept.  and closed his business.  Sorry, but I don't remember where exactly he went.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline mrbig6045

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 12:55:12 PM »
when gatewood shoot the indian off the horse,was that a model 76 he was useing,ill have to watch that scene again :)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 06:18:13 PM »
Captain B,

You are right about catching a peice of Geronimo on AMC, but I have the move so I fired it up in the ol' dvd player and watched it twice yesterday....

Mr Big,

That may have been a 76.  Do 76's have octagon barrels?  Kind of looked like a Border Rifle to me.  Now, here is what I was thinking...."Why did Gatewood carry the Civilian holster?"  I think it was to accomodate the .44-40 shells his border rifle used.  If he had of had a Centenial Model, he could have just used the web belt/1881 Holster that every other trooper had.  So, I figured that the civilian rig allowed him to carry the .44-4 shells.

Just a though.
Major Matt Lewis

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 07:41:29 PM »
It can also come down to the simple fact the director liked the look of those pants better...I have worked on a few films and what the director says goes even if it's not peroid correct....it can and does happen. ::)
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 08:30:23 PM »
The thing that caught my eye was the way the enlisted man struts up to General Crook swinging his arms like a pump jack to deliver the telegram about the outbreak at Cibique.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 08:36:03 PM »
It can also come down to the simple fact the director liked the look of those pants better...I have worked on a few films and what the director says goes even if it's not peroid correct....it can and does happen. ::)
Darn right it does. It's the main reason I don't work on films anymore...

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 12:50:31 PM »
Some of the accoutrements and most of the horse equipment for "Geronimo:..." was supplied by Dave Carrico of Carrico Leather, out of Edna, KS (about 15 miles from me).  He also supplied much of what was used in the mini-series "Into The West".
His entire operation is set up in the loft of his barn.  The lower part of his barn is used for... well, it's a barn.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 07:17:23 PM »
I talked to Carrico and he is putting some stuff together for me... I am looking forward to it.
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 10:39:43 AM »
I talked to Carrico and he is putting some stuff together for me... I am looking forward to it.

Me too!  I feel like a father in the waiting room, waiting for the doc to come out: "Congratulations.  It's a Slim Jim and a double loop!"

Thought the movie was excellent, btw.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com