Author Topic: Uniform question  (Read 1941 times)

Offline BlaiseNSaddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uniform question
« on: March 10, 2008, 02:51:24 PM »
I finally decided to get a number and joined the GAF.  A lot of respect for those who
served and are serving. 

Now to the question.  I know that some women used men's uniforms disguising themselves as such during various victorian era conflicts, however is that the requirement for a uniform or would it be permissible to make or alter to a more feminime look a uniform style?

I saw one picture of a group in the latest SASS chronicle with one lady in a very nifty female style uniform.

Thank you in advance.

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: Uniform question
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 03:49:15 PM »
First off, welcome to the GAF!

The GAF does not require any member to acquire a uniform, though we highly encourage it.  However, if you wish to compete for Brigade Champion at one of our Grand Musters, you'll have to wear a uniform for both the shooting and uniform competitions.

We allow both "authentic" uniforms - those based on regulations and photographic or descriptive evidence - and "Hollywood" style uniforms - those based on silver screen interpetations by John Ford, Howard Hawks, etc.  Most, but certainly not all, of our members who opt to wear a uniform tend to lean toward the authentic look.

If you'd like to be "authentic" you can go for the disquised woman look, or make up an outfit worn by Civil War vivandiere (http://www.vivandiere.net). 

On the other hand, you can make up a quasi-military style outfit such as worn by Lady Stetson in the latest Cowboy Chronicle.  Another lady with that particular group, though she is not in that photo, wears an outfit patterned after that worn by Joanne Dru in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" which looks very striking.  These quasi-uniforms were popular as riding outfits with women who had a husband or beau in the army, or socialized with officers in society. 

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com