Author Topic: Rough Rider Roosevelt uniform?  (Read 4088 times)

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rough Rider Roosevelt uniform?
« on: March 04, 2008, 09:13:57 PM »
I am sure most of us have seen this photo of COL Roosevelt after he got back from Cuba: http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/mcmahanphoto_1991_58291557 There's little doubt that he didn't pin the side of his hat up until either at the end of the campaign or after he got back to the states. He and Leonard Wood were about the only officers in the unit to have a M1898 uniform before going into action. Most of the original combat uniforms were torched and 1898s were issued at the end of the campaign.
My question is this: On TR's uniform, the collar and shoulder straps (oddly sewn over the epaulets) appear a much darker shade than even the later-1800's darker shade of yellow for Cavalry. It's clearly a much darker shade than seen on his 1898 uniform that he's wearing in the states before the trip to Cuba, so clearly it is a different uniform than the one that Brooks Brothers made for him. I know that some shades of yellow reflected back to early cameras as a much darker shade than you'd expect. The only thing I can figure is either that it is yellow reflecting darker than it appears or it is the dark blue "staff" color that was common for most of the later 19th century. I know for a fact that it's not the darker blue infantry color (as seen on Robin Williams in the movie, "Night at the Museum") as TR wouldn't have been caught dead looking like a foot solider! Opinions, anyone?

Offline Captain Barrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Rough Rider Roosevelt uniform?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 11:11:14 AM »
Captain,

The color seen on TR's uniform is indeed yellow for Cavalry. The photographic emulsions of the Late Victorian Period were not very good at detailing bright shades of colors like yellow, hence Cavalry yellow shows up as black...
Your humble, obedient servant,

David P. Barrett
Captain, 1st U.S. Infantry Regiment
Regimental Adjutant

"...For I am as constant as the Northern Star..."

GAF #2

Offline Zouave Officer

• Carolina Zouave
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Death Or Glory!
    • Palmetto Riflemen & New York Zouaves
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 12:51:02 PM »
I know I have several different pictures of the Rough Riders from there term of service that are interesting and I've noticed that Roosevelt appears to have had at least 3 different uniforms from the looks of the pictures.

I know another thing to probaly look at, you probaly have already done this, is compare it to other photos of officers of the Rough Riders. I know I have a few and can try and get them to you if you are interested.
- Captain, "Palmetto Riflemen" & "New York Zouaves."
- Charles Devens Jr. Camp No. 10, Sons of Union Veterans.
- Micah J. Jenkins Camp No. 164, Sons of Spanish American War Veterans.

"There’s no use dodging. You will be hit when your body and bullets are at the same place at the same time….
Captain Henry J. Reilly, Battery F, 5th U.S. Artillery, 1898.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:05:28 PM »

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 08:55:39 PM »
I know I have several different pictures of the Rough Riders from there term of service that are interesting and I've noticed that Roosevelt appears to have had at least 3 different uniforms from the looks of the pictures.
I have already compared most of the known photos of the other officers and I'm still wondering if this is a old photography issue or if indeed he's wearing staff colors on that uniform. I agree that he had at least three uniforms, and I'm pretty sure that this one wasn't worn until after they got back. I know of the one in the Roosevelt museum which had all yellow trim. I think that got stolen in the 1990s along with the pistol he carried up Kettle Hill (I have no idea if any of this ever recovered).
Here's a more close up photo taken at the same time: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e2/Theodore_Rooseveltnewtry.jpg Note the 1898 "officer's eagle" really far to the rear of the collar. I'd never noticed that before, it's practically at the back of the collar!

Offline Zouave Officer

• Carolina Zouave
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Death Or Glory!
    • Palmetto Riflemen & New York Zouaves
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 10:08:08 PM »
I'll see what I can find if anything and pass it along. I know with the equipment that was stolen the Revolver was recovered in the past two years in Florida, I was sent an article on it by a friend of mine who is familiar with my interest in the Spanish American War.
- Captain, "Palmetto Riflemen" & "New York Zouaves."
- Charles Devens Jr. Camp No. 10, Sons of Union Veterans.
- Micah J. Jenkins Camp No. 164, Sons of Spanish American War Veterans.

"There’s no use dodging. You will be hit when your body and bullets are at the same place at the same time….
Captain Henry J. Reilly, Battery F, 5th U.S. Artillery, 1898.

Offline Captain Barrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 08:02:54 AM »
Captain Bishop,

I guess TR was a more than just a bit of a "free spirit," since the M1898 Officer Eagles were supposed to be on the collar for those Colonel or higher in place of the USV. And I would still state TR's uniform trim is, in fact, Cavalry yellow, since in the latest pic you have, he is still wearing the 1st Cavalry insignia, hence the photographic emulsions will show yellow as black...
Your humble, obedient servant,

David P. Barrett
Captain, 1st U.S. Infantry Regiment
Regimental Adjutant

"...For I am as constant as the Northern Star..."

GAF #2

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 11:13:33 AM »
Shame on him.  Pockets unbuttoned in both pictures; headgear nearly unserviceable.  At least in the first picture, he appears to have thrown a little Kiwi on his LPCs!  (Leather Personnel Carriers)  Not a wonderful example for his men!

;D

When was this picture taken?  Mayhaps things were different then.

Sorry: old Platoon Sergeant habits die hard ...  ;)

The above post was done STRICTLY in fun, and not to disparage one of our (and MY ) National Heroes!!!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com