Author Topic: Daylights burning & set yer clocks back: November Cawfee  (Read 448562 times)

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
Re: Daylights burning & set yer clocks back: November Cawfee
« Reply #420 on: November 09, 2007, 08:09:34 PM »
  Marshall Will did you get that sampling of boolits yet?  and have you used any?   Unlike LIT I am not going to find 200 rounds stuck in behind the shelve...I need to load my bride some
All I got so far is the Desperado sample. I already have some Big Lube bullets. Now I have two more samples coming. Penn bullet is going to send a sample yet. Bear Creek is still in business so I have some .454's coming from them but they may be a while in the coming since I ordered them from the local shop. When I have everything here, I'll load a good sampling of each one and go try them all together. That will take care of one of the three issues I've been having with my accuracy.

Issue #two is also taken care of. Today I'm trying a stronger prescription contact in my right eye. So far, it is really great.

Issue #three is the front sights. I need to do something to make them more visible. I think I may need to change to brass blades, made from coins or something else historically correct. Hey, Del, you have any suggestions on what I could do to make sights I can see in all lighting conditions?

Hell, ain’t shot it ‘nuff ta know whether I like it er not.  Had a Handi Rifle in .223 I used fer a plinker.  It was fun.  Sent it off for a 45-70 refit.  Pretty nice but I sold it ‘n bought the Buff.  Me ‘n Veeb were gonna go ta Creeds ta shoot the ‘assault’ rifles ‘n I was gonna carry it along but we never got there.

Will, we shoot no more than a hundred yards at the places I shoot.  I wanted a flat top Marbles mounted on the barrel about like the Marlin Cowboy.  Ain’t a problem hittin’ at a hundred with that. Reckon me ‘n the machinist got our wires crossed ‘n he dovetailed it at the breech.  Didn’t look at it ‘til I got it home ‘n was gonna take it back but since I’ve seen a couple others done that way so I wanna try it as is.  Pretty sure it’s gonna need a taller front sight.
I put a taller front one on my match rifle since it never gets shot at any distance to speak of. The BuffC is an unknown. We shoot maybe up to 200 around here. I'll have to figure something out.

I had one of the older ones, had a 22 inch barrel and the cleaning rod under the barrel back in the early 80's, think they called it a Shirika or something like that, swapped it to Dad for him a deer rifle and he got rid of it when he got his 243 pump.  Been around several of the H&r break action rifles, brother owns my old Hornet, they all shot got that I know of.  I know there have been some problems with the 38-55's but that's cause the specs for that round is all over the map.  Only thing I don't like about them is trigger, but they ain't that bad, just like good triggers.
Mine is in 38-55 but I think I either got one of the good ones or fell into a good load the first time out. I can shoot nice, tight groups for the first 50 shots until it leads up. Couldn't tell you what vintage it is because I bought it used maybe 5 years ago. It's marked W&H so if you know when they made those, that'd give you some idea.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #421 on: November 10, 2007, 03:46:58 AM »
morning..git your Coffee    here ;D  It's high test regular, hot n black no low octane phoo phoo blends like some coosies serve at some of the wagons

It's a mandatory training day today...plus my 12 hour tour...so I am off early

so now I have lost track how many of them Buff Classics, 5 or 6. I didn't hear anyone complain on them...Might have to watch for a deal on one.

Will, I was thinking about the PennBullets..   I think the gunshow is next weekend if I get a chance I'll see if he is there again

Y'll have a g'dae
Mathew 5.9

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #422 on: November 10, 2007, 04:58:31 AM »
Mornin' folks!  Thanks for the coffee, LR!

I'll have to look into that. The picture (I assume that was the stuff) sure looks good. Thanks for another idea.

If there's nothing else that I learn from this board, at least I can get some good food ideas. ;D ;D

I'd think any deli would be able tyo slice it any thickness you want.

We've only got a couple proper delis in town.  I always go there to eat, but never think of bringing meat home, although I know they sell it.  Thanks for reminding me.

I was at a gun range shooters meeting tonight. We're having a chopped rubber backstop installed. We already have armor plating on the walls that will stop three point-blank .44 mag rounds in the same place without failing. The range is getting nicer, but they want to restrict the muzzleloaders from using it. I don't shoot muzzleloaders but am lobbying strongly to allow it. We're still debating that one.

I just talked to my cousin. His dog just got whacked by a car. All he (the dog) got was a broken leg but they're keeping him (the dog) overnight just to make sure. At least he (the dog) didn't get killed.

Our indoor doesn't allow any black powder, even though they have a ventilation system that will knock you down. :( 

I saw a cat almost get it yesterday.  Their mothers must never have told them to look both ways before crossing the street. :D  I'm glad the dawg is ok.

Coffee is on here, 31 out.

BTW, look under yer trampoline before you jump om it.

Ouch!

Somehow I just can't see Del jumpin on a trampoline... :o

:D :D :D

"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Advertising

« Reply #423 on: Today at 12:31:55 AM »

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #423 on: November 10, 2007, 08:21:56 AM »
thanks for the coffee

been sitting out in the tree stand since a little after 5, didn't see anything but one doe,  it sure is nice out there, I enjoy being out there just watching the squirells and listening to all the morning sounds, heard a little shooting around the country side, nothing close, guess we'll try a couple more times today.  ;D

50 here this morning, kinda cloudy with a southeast wind about 15 mph, not to bad,  at least I didn't need all my insulated gear.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #424 on: November 10, 2007, 09:05:32 AM »
Well I'm at work, somebody, won't mention her name kinda ruined my deer hunting, was thinkin' of gettin' one of them 2 for the price of one antlerless permits and takin' this weekend off, can't afford it know and wouldn't leave her alone with the dog yet, she is not sure she could handle him if he got a wild hair up his butt.  But he does that less and less now. ;D

Didn't get on last night, always forward the home phone to one of the cell phones since we're on dial-up in case of emergency and someone needs us.  Well Altel lost most of SE Newbrassky last night for several hours so I left the land line intact.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #425 on: November 10, 2007, 09:41:25 AM »
Morning y'all.
Thanks fer the coffee, Litl Rooster.

Good luck out there, Ozark.

Mine is in 38-55 but I think I either got one of the good ones or fell into a good load the first time out. I can shoot nice, tight groups for the first 50 shots until it leads up. Couldn't tell you what vintage it is because I bought it used maybe 5 years ago. It's marked W&H so if you know when they made those, that'd give you some idea.
Ya might try some softer boolits. It will probably stop the leading.

I just read an article, "Loading Cast and Jacketed Bullets" by Dave Scovill, in the Dec. 2007 Handloader mag. Among other things, it talks about the use of too had of boolits for the velocity and pressures of your gun. It causes leading because "the base of the bullet cannot expand (obturate) to form a gas seal. This allowed combustion gas to escape past the heel, eroding the surface of the driving bands. The result was a deposit of lead alloy in the chamber throat, forcing cone and barrel. Not only was leading contributing to lousy accuracy, but excessive friction caused by the buildup of leading occasionally caused a low-velocity relatively hard cast bullet to lodge in the barrel." That is a small sampling of the great info in this article that pertains to CAS. Y'all should pick up a copy. A cosie we all know pretty much has told me the some things that are in the article. ;)

'Tis 30 and overcast. High of 44. Was 20 when I got outta bed.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #426 on: November 10, 2007, 09:52:57 AM »
Mornin' Fellas,

Thanks for the no phoo phoo coffee.

Is overcast here today. Planning on horseback riding tomorrow so hopefully it won't be in the rain.

http://home.aristotle.net/Thanksgiving/trivia.asp  How good are you at the Turkey trivia quiz?....I was not, but I never claimed to know much more about them than how to cook and serve :)

Y'all have a great day.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #427 on: November 10, 2007, 09:56:47 AM »
Well Slim, I had began to figure some of that out and then Dave wrote several articals that pretty much confermed it in my mind.

I knew I was on to something the first time I shot my 32 mag with the wadcutters I cast out of Lino, (Well I wanted them as perfect as possible)  Loaded a load that duplicated the ISU 32 Long load for the expensive auto's and added 10% for the longer case.  Shot like poop, and leaded to the point of the rifling going away for a while.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #428 on: November 10, 2007, 10:05:32 AM »
SA, I'll try it, but they better have it right themselves. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #429 on: November 10, 2007, 10:10:38 AM »
Here's another tidbit from the article. "The situation resulting from the use of spitball cast bullet loads in cowboy action is accented by renewed interest in the Lewis Lead Remover. One would imagine folks might get the hint: If cast bullets are causing leading, it might make sense to fix the load - use a softer bullet alloy and develop a load that shoots cleanly - rather than spend free time scraping crud out of the gun. And, yes I've heard the argument that commercial cast bullet manufacturers don't use softer alloys, but it's a sad day when common sense can't trump Madison Avenue ignorance."

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #430 on: November 10, 2007, 10:12:07 AM »
OK, I got 14, don't totally agree with them on a couple, didn't know that ate so many in that country and never counted the feathers, just plucked them. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #431 on: November 10, 2007, 10:14:16 AM »
Well I did pretty good on the turkey quiz, 15 out of the 20, ;D  we've raised about  1.8  million turkey birds the past 10 years,  I hope I learned a litte about em  ;D

Del, you know they sure got a lot of feathers when you clean out one of these houses after they go out.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #432 on: November 10, 2007, 10:16:19 AM »
Well, finally got my sniffling/coughing butt up. Dang upper respiratory crap :(
 Thanks for the coffee, at least it melts the stuff in my throat.
 Will, are those samples you got coming from Penn the softer alloy? They offer you a choice of alloys, a softer CAS type and a somewhat harder one for autos and higher velocity revolvers. Their QC is really good, my next orders will be from them if I don't get priced out.......................Buck 8) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #433 on: November 10, 2007, 10:17:10 AM »
Most store bought bullets use what is called the Taraco Alloy, 2% tin, 6% antimony and 92% lead.  This was developed in the 80's for the IPSC shooters who were mostly using 38 Super for the top shooters, it is the cheapest and hardest alloy that gives a a very high percentage of good castings.  

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #434 on: November 10, 2007, 10:17:54 AM »
I got 13 right.
I have a problem with: "What sound does a female turkey make?" They make numerous sounds.  ::)

Slim

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #435 on: November 10, 2007, 10:21:58 AM »
I got 15. ;D

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #436 on: November 10, 2007, 10:29:53 AM »
Buck, you need ta get ya a few of them turekys to raise.  ;D

Slim, they do make a lot of sounds, they got a happy click, and they got a we're hungry sound, they got a danger signal when they think somethings about ta get em. (crow flying by),  sometimes you'll hear the wild ones talking to the tame ones, they seem to converse pretty good.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #437 on: November 10, 2007, 10:34:03 AM »
Hope you get to feeling better soon, Buck.

I got 11 right, but most of those were just wild (and lucky) guesses. ::)  Just about the only thing I know about turkeys is that you get them at the grocery store in plastic bags wrapped in plastic netting. ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #438 on: November 10, 2007, 11:19:30 AM »
And they're generally hard and very cold, too, Trinity ;D

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #439 on: November 10, 2007, 11:52:29 AM »
That was one I objected to, plus I'm not so sure the run and fly that fast, or at least the ones I've seen in the wild don't.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com