Author Topic: New member--need opinions- lever rifles  (Read 3921 times)

Offline seadeclan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New member--need opinions- lever rifles
« on: October 17, 2007, 11:19:43 AM »
Hi all

Looking for a high quality  rifle to go with my Nighthawk 1911 pistol----love the old style levers---pros/cons of the Henry Big Boy and the Uberti's?  Also, pros/cons of going 44 mag vs 357 mag caliber---no info too basic--i know much more about pistols than rifles---other brands I do not know about as well.....thanks

also.  not for competition shooting or heavy hunting----home protection and camping in the mountains.http://

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: New member--need opinions- lever rifles
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 11:39:22 AM »
Seadeclan,   Welcome to the fire.  From your post it looks like you arent into CAS at all, but simply want a lever rifle for home protection and camping?   You can easily go with a modern rifle if you wish.  This would not limit you to a clone of the 1866, 73 or 92.   I have heard good and bad about the Henry Big Boys, but off hand I cant give you specifics.  I dont think you could go wrong with a modern Marlin.   http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/308MarlinExpress/default.aspx   These would give you great firepower in a modern design lever action firearm.  It really might depend on what kind of varmits you are expecting to meet in the mountains.  As for home security,  I would go with a 12 gauge.  Regards.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline seadeclan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 09:28:10 PM »
Well--do to overwhelming response it is the Henry Big Boy 44 mag--thanks all

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:42:38 AM »

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 05:27:48 AM »
If your not into CAS, I'd get a Marlin 1894, the current models have 20 inch barrels, and either caliber would be a good choice...
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 11:00:48 PM »
Personaly I'd go with a Uberti 73 or 76 replica.  Depends on what you want the rifle to do.  The 73 has a week action, but basic loads in 44-40 or 45 colt are good on deer under a 100 yards, and loaded with black powder they provide plenty of stoping power.  The 76 I would probably go with 45-75, provided you reload, and it will stop anything short of dangerouse game under a 100 yards.  I know the toggle links are a week action, but there is no smoother cycling action out there.  If for home protection, a shotgun is hard to beat.  My personal favorite is a Coyote Cap 1887 lever shotgun and buck shot for peace of mind. 

I have never owned one of the Henry big boys, and don't plan on it.  I've heard good things about them, but I prefer the 1860 Henry myself.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 06:47:11 AM »
I think he has made his mind up already. 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline seadeclan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 10:13:06 PM »
Anumber of negative comments on the Henry Big Boy but nobody seems to own one here to validate comments--heresay or third hand.  Anybody actually own own and have anything bad to say?  Or is it just that they are a modern rifle more so than some others?  Just looking to make informed decision.

Offline BlaiseNSaddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 10:35:47 PM »
I have a Big Boy in 44 Magnum.  Personally I love the rifle. 
The fit and finish was excellent and compared to the Marlin 1894 was much smoother.
Speaking of which I had the stock off and bolt out for a through cleaning and it is built more like
the Marlin 1895 inside.

I like the tube feed myself or at least it does not bother me. 
Rifle is accurate, and the brass makes it good looking. 
The one thing against it is that it is quite heavy. 

Historical it is not, sort of a kinda like, but then again, Ruger Blackhawks are not historical either and the Vaquero is in a way sort of kinda like.

Offline seadeclan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 10:50:01 AM »
Thanks Bllaise-that's the kind of info I was looking for.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com