Author Topic: More with Cimarron  (Read 5278 times)

Offline shooter93

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
More with Cimarron
« on: September 19, 2007, 08:21:07 PM »
I just read the other post. I was coming here to ask what was up with Cimarron. I had terrible service with a 73 Deluxe I bought before. I bought some Open tops 44 Specials in 2005...yep...2005. They had defective parts...and yes I know they were, I'm very well versed. I have been trying ever since their purchase...to BUY...the parts I need. I gave up expecting them to warranty anything I just want to but them. All emails now go unanswered and whoever you need to talk to on the phone i always "out"...no matter when you call. It's getting a bit frustrating have expensive paper weights lying around. On a good note though....My two Richards conversions on Colt 1860's done by Raven's Roost will soon be sent to me in the white. I'll check the sights and then send them off to my Engraver for 80% period style engraving.....yayyyyyyyyyy...can't wait.

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: More with Cimarron
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 09:34:45 PM »
All of this talk about Cimarron is scary....when did the service start to go downhill? I have a Cimarron OT from 2004 and it's a very high quality revolver and I sent an e-mail to them(Cimarron) trying to find out the year it was made....they gave me a reply the next day which I didn't need because I got the date codes from this forum....maybe if a gun is a bad one they are hard to reach....that's what it sounds like to me....not good business if you ask me. They didn't use to be that way from what people have told me,something must be going on at Cimarron....changes! Dusty.
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 12:52:56 AM »
What parts are you needing?  I've found VTI to be the best place to get parts for just about everything.  If on the opentops your talking about the firing pins, check out the ones from Smith Shop, there well worth the money.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:42:00 PM »

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 10:35:33 AM »
My two Richards conversions on Colt 1860's done by Raven's Roost will soon be sent to me in the white.[/quote

It seems as if I spoke with him once and he wanted about $1200 or so for a 1st Model Richards. Am I correct? Also, no one I know has ever seen one of his guns. I'd be curious to see photos of his work.

Offline Grouchy Spike

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Defective Open Tops
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 02:39:54 PM »
I just read the other post. I was coming here to ask what was up with Cimarron. I had terrible service with a 73 Deluxe I bought before. I bought some Open tops 44 Specials in 2005...yep...2005. They had defective parts...and yes I know they were, I'm very well versed. I have been trying ever since their purchase...to BUY...the parts I need. I gave up expecting them to warranty anything I just want to but them. All emails now go unanswered and whoever you need to talk to on the phone i always "out"...no matter when you call. It's getting a bit frustrating have expensive paper weights lying around. On a good note though....My two Richards conversions on Colt 1860's done by Raven's Roost will soon be sent to me in the white. I'll check the sights and then send them off to my Engraver for 80% period style engraving.....yayyyyyyyyyy...can't wait.

Shooter,

if you want those Open Tops to sing instead of being mute paper weights, I'd suggest talking to Alan Harton, Single Action Service, in Houston (713) 907-6031.  He did an action job on two of Open Tops and those are different pistols.  Also he smoothed and hardened the hand; welded harder metal onto the hammer cam and reshaped it; opened up the rear sight; replaced the front sight; did a trigger job; fixed the lack of alignment between ejector rod and chamber; as well as polishing up everything that moved.  And installed Smith Shop firing pins. I was so pleased with his work that he has my second pair in his shop now for the same treatment.

http://alanharton.com/

Offline shooter93

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 07:50:20 PM »
VTI doesn't have the parts and never has. I need the base pins...ie..the shaft the cylinder turns on. They were junk and bent when I got them. I've alrady changed the sights and action jobs are no problem for me...I do tons of them. Yes...it's 1200 a copy at Raven's roost. Before all this I had sent a deposit to Bob Millington amd was told a year to 18 months....well....5 years later and contact pretty much stopped I haven't heard a thing from him and ofcourse my deposit is gone....another fine Businessman as you can see. So I went looking and found Raven's Roost. He tells me they will be here soon and like I said...off to my engraver...he kept me a spot so it won't take to long...he just finished a 93 Marlin for me which is spectacular and has my 73 Winchester now too. Maybe I expect too much from businesses....but I have been running a construction company for more years than I care to admit and the number of complaints I've gotten from customers...ZERO....I don't tolerate poor workmanship or customer care in my business and I expect the same of others.

Offline Grouchy Spike

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 03:52:28 PM »
Shooter, you have had a miserable experience!

Look at the magazine article linked on Alan's website to see what Alan did to rebuild a blownup Colt.  I'd think that base pins would be no big problem.

Good Luck!

Offline HANCOCK

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 04:49:51 PM »
Is Millington really like that ? He sure had nice stuff in Dennis Adler's book . I know he is expensive, but I was thinking someday of having him do some work.

HANCOCK

Offline RebHolister

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 05:25:12 PM »
Hancock - To answer your question  - Bob Millington is not like that at all, he is honest as the day is long. If he was not, he would not be doing repeat business with people like Dennis Adler, Walt Kirst, Judge Mathis(sp)(TV), and myself.  I have four Remington conversions and five colt conversions done by Bob. They are all beautiful and worth the wait. 
To Shooter93 - I have talked to Bob today, and he will be more than happy to refund your deposit at your request. As I said before, he is an honest man.  All you have to do is email him or call him.  If you do not have his current phone number and would like it, I can furnish it for you.

Offline shooter93

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 08:43:04 PM »
You are entitled to your opinion of the man Reb...and I am entitled to mine. There is no way you can convice me that it's an honorable way to run a business by promising to put you on a list...in a specfic order   take a deposit...then totally igmore that order to do other peoples work who contact you...obviously years after I did....I was treated like a small fish...simple as that and it mey not seem like much to you and you can say he's an honest business man but that hasn't been my experience with him and I intend to tell the truth to anyone who asks about it. It's easy to say NOW...oh...I'll send you you're deposit back....all you really lost was your time and interest. What I do know is...when I called raven's Roost...he explained everything to me....told me I would have them within a year which he will accomplish...that's service.

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 02:00:38 PM »
Cimarron does list the base pin for $15.00.  Whether they will respond to the order may be in question.  I VTI doesn't have them, Cimarron may not either.  David Chicoine's book on Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West gives dimensions for the cap & ball base pin, may be a start, together with the ones you have, to get new ones made in a machine shop, or by a gunsmith.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1273
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 08:22:12 PM »
I do not think Cimarron has this part in stock, unless they received it recently from Uberti.

Offline shooter93

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 09:45:26 PM »
Cimarron apparently doesn't have them....atleast I'm assuming that because they won't answer me so I can buy them. I think I have that book Flint...I'll look...thanks....I suppose I'll end up making them which is ok I just expected a modicum of service from a company like them. Sort of puts a damper on getting a 1876 from them. There is Chapparal but I don't know if they make a pistol grip Model or not.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com