Author Topic: Waitin' for Tresos  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Dusty Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Waitin' for Tresos
« on: August 02, 2007, 11:55:19 AM »
Since it will be awhile before most vendors can fill back orders for Treso nipples, is there another brand that will work well for my 2nd Gen. Navies while I wait?  ???

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Waitin' for Tresos
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 01:34:41 PM »
The Thunder Ridge stainless steel are supposed to be good.

I have also had good luck with the Ruger Old Army nipples, except they do require a Ruger hex nipple wrench or a 3/16 nut driver to install.  They are also shorter, and I made .015 thick shim washers (I had a lathe then) to boost them up to the hammer.  A feature I like about the ROA nipple is the longer threaded portion which brings the flash hole face flush with the bottom of the chamber.  The Italian, and Treso, etc have that face retreated back up the hole, and expose the chamber's threaded hole to powder fouling and hot gas.

The ROA nipples thread fits the Colt 2nd and 3rd gen and Uberti cylinder, not the Pietta.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 04:26:03 PM »
I have a set of Thunderridge nipples on one of my cap and ball revolvers.  I think on one of my 1860 Armies.  I think they are as good as the Tresos for all practical purposes.  I have had no problems with them.  So I think they would be a good sub until the Tresos get restocked.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:20:43 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com