Author Topic: Question for all you "lead launchers"  (Read 12759 times)

Book Miser

Re: Question for all you "lead launchers"
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2004, 07:43:57 PM »
One o' these days, I'm going to get so organized that I'll get all this stuff done... but I wouldn't bet on it if I wuz you.  :D

The "new" dawg (since last May) wants to be walked twice a day, and he won't settle for less than a mile or two. Now, it's nice that I gotta put some new holes in the gunbelt, because it's gotten too small, BUT...

That's why I like spending a couple months away from home, 1500 miles or so. What ya didn't remember to bring, ya can't worry about.  ;)

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2004, 09:18:18 PM »
Arapaho,

I have two of the 1881 style butt forward left and right hip, they are not the full flap but a trick I learned is to open the holster and put the flap behind the belt when I go up to shoot, that way you do not need both hands to draw a pistol, and mine do not fall out of the holster as they are 7 1/2 in barrels.  Sounds as if you are going about it the right way.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Book Miser

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2004, 09:32:06 PM »
Top, I was thinkin' that might work, but didn't want to give advice on something I know nothing about.

I imagine that will crease the flaps a bit, and help give them that "vintage" look, too.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:50:50 AM »

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2004, 10:14:10 PM »
Book Miser (neat alais by the way)

A lot will depend on the leather that is used most of the holsters of the period (military) were light leather not the heavy type you are used to, and tucking the flap back or cutting it off was part of the norm for the period.  I got mine from Carrico Leather and was quite satisified.

Old Top

Book Miser

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2004, 10:45:33 PM »
Interesting, re the leather thickness.

Book Miser has both a real-life and a "cowboy" story, which I'll post when the Marshall gets the Profile Manager fully operational.

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2005, 02:15:12 PM »
If you really wanna rack up style points, make 'em both crossdraw holsters. ;D
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Patron

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2005, 01:10:22 AM »
I did. Both butt forward.

Old Top

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2005, 01:24:16 AM »

I thought two pistols both cross draw was illegal in CAS...or did I read the rule book wrong?  It seems to me I read in the rule book that butt forward pistols was a no no.  Am I missing something here?

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2005, 05:16:46 AM »

I thought two pistols both cross draw was illegal in CAS...or did I read the rule book wrong?  It seems to me I read in the rule book that butt forward pistols was a no no.  Am I missing something here?
Ain't that rule for gunfighter only?
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2005, 10:49:06 AM »

Ain't that rule for gunfighter only?

I dunno?  I'll have to dig out my rule book and look again!

Offline Irish Red O'Toole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2005, 11:46:37 AM »
Qball,
Two crossdraw holsters are well within the rules.  As long as you have one on each side of your belly button and at least two fists apart, you're fine.  You just have to remember to do a "Double Crossdraw Dance"!! ;D

Arapaho Kid,
I have and use several 1885 half-flap holsters sometimes with my cavalry outfit.  I can wear them as strong-side holsters or (as you suggested) one strong and one crossdraw, or even two crossdraws.  As for the flap, before I go to the line, I tuck the flap up into my shotgun belt.  That keeps it out of the way and I don't have to use two hands to get the gun out of put it back.  Hope that helps you out a bit.  Oh, the half flap holsters I have were made by Big Ed at San Pedro Saddelry.  Here's what one looks like:

Offline Clay

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2005, 07:37:54 PM »
If you tried to use the faster technique known for a right X-draw and right straight draw, you'd have a fearsome hard time....Doc's X-draw first technique, where the left side gun (in the X-draw holster) is re-holstered with the left hand by gripping at the top strap as the right hand draws the right side straight holstered gun would be complicated with the flap...basically, the flap is going to close and you'll have to find a way to flip it up and holster the gun with the same hand very quickly, or you're wasting time.

But to each his own. Personally, I believe that if a cavalry man were fortunate enough to get two pistols and were in your shoes, he'd cut the flap off the x-draw holster, but that's just my opinion.

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2005, 08:38:41 PM »
Well.....I'm not in CAS to shave time off my score, nor am I in it to become "Top Gun".  I'm in it for fun.  If I come out on the bottom of the barrel at every match....I will have had fun getting there.  I could care less if I place first, middle, or last as long as I place.  Where on the ladder doesn't make any difference to me.  I'm not in CAS to be competitive.  I'm in it for fun!

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2005, 06:24:22 AM »
Qball,
Two crossdraw holsters are well within the rules.  As long as you have one on each side of your belly button and at least two fists apart, you're fine.  You just have to remember to do a "Double Crossdraw Dance"!! ;D

The Shoters Handbook clearly states that for gunfighter you must use "butt to the rear" holsters no cross draw
But for others its ok
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline Irish Red O'Toole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2005, 04:15:10 PM »
Qball,
For Gunfighters, you are absolutely correct.  No crossdraw holsters allowed.  But for every other catagory, no problem using them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com