Author Topic: Man With No Name  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Man With No Name
« on: July 08, 2007, 06:21:53 PM »
Someone remarked, either here or on the SASS wire that simply attaching a 51 Navy barrel to an Opentop will make you a "Man With No Name" revolver.

Not so, the cylinder is larger on the Opentop, the chamber circle is 1.055 diameter, the 51 Navy circle is 1.000 inch.  The OT breech is larger and the arbor is .0275 higher, the bore center is .055 higher off the table on the Opentop.  The 51 barrel will not fit on an Opentop, even the alignment pins are off over .02 inch, and if you did get it on the gun with an Opentop 38 cylinder, the bore would be off center by .0275 inch.

If Uberti makes the gun with a 51 Navy barrel, then the frame is not a 72 Opentop, just a Navy with a loading gate.

It is probable the barrel is from the 51 R-M, which would align with the OT enlarged cylinder, and could be fitted to the OT, if the barrel could be had without the ejector housing groove and fitted with a loading lever. (Which, of course, Uberti could easily do at the factory).
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline sweettooth

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Man With No Name
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 04:08:06 PM »
 Howdy Flint

One of the things that interests me about these pistols. The opentop portion of the pistol comes drilled for a coil hand spring.
  And the driftable rear sights in the last batch.  Will this carryover into the opentop Model they presently make. I dont see them making 2 frames just a lttle different .

And I am awaiting barrels from Vti . R.Ms 5 1/2

Sweettooth

storm
usmc 67 70
dav
semper fi

Offline sweettooth

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 04:13:17 PM »
   Hey Flint
    As long as were talking swapping parts, think square trigger guard would match up to my opentops

storm
usmc 67 70
dav
semper fi

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:12:21 PM »

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 04:38:41 PM »
If they are drilling frames for a coil spring, I imagine that will continue, unless it was an over-run from some special order, which I doubt.

Any Uberti gripframe backstrap or triggerguard will bolt up to any Uberti single action frame except the Bisley.  You can get the parts from VTIgunparts.com.

The 51 Navy squareback TG is part number 006026 and priced at $35, last I looked.

It will probably be a bit oversized to allow fitting flush with your frame with a bit of careful file work.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com