Author Topic: Pet Project  (Read 3039 times)

Offline Will Dearborn

• "Ramrod, wreckage, and ruin..."
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Faugh an Ballagh
    • My Place on myspace
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pet Project
« on: July 06, 2007, 01:42:02 AM »
Howdy.  I just picked up a V E R Y used Pietta 1851 Navy.  Whoever had it before had... removed all the blueing.  And screwed the cylinder pin in a little too much.  It's a brass frame, so the over tightening job scored the frame and made things... loose.

So... since there was no blueing to screw up, I defarbed the barrel.  Now I'm finishing that up, preparing to reblue it.

My question is this...  I've noticed that there is a little play in the cylinder.  It moves back and forth as you work the action.  Now, I've always fired 58 Remmys in BP... BUT it seems to me, through working the action and paying attention to how everything moves together that there SHOULD be a little movement.  It seems to me that that was part of Sam Colt's whole design.  Am I right?  I'd rather fix something now than have something hideous occur.

Long days and pleasant nights,
Will
"First comes smiles; then comes lies.  Last is gunfire."
                                                -Roland of Gilead
V.P., Waverly Arts Council
Chairman, Gen. Jo Shelby's Iron Brigade Assn.
SASS #75873
RATS #359
SBSS #2032
SCORRS
GAF #467
Private, 7th and 30th Cons. Missouri Inf.  "Irish Brigade"

Offline Will Dearborn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Faugh an Ballagh
    • My Place on myspace
  • Liked:
Re: Pet Project
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 07:30:24 PM »
Okay.  Fixed the play in the pin.  Reblued it.  Smoothed the grips and am refinishing them as we speak.  2 coats on and polished... bout ten to go.

The defarb, with the new blueing, is unnoticable.  Very happy with that.

The walnut grips have a nice, deep shine to the grain.  I'll post pics when its done.

Will
                                                -Roland of Gilead
SASS #75873
RATS #359
SBSS #2032
SCORRS
GAF #467

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 12:33:07 PM »
One thing I noticed in the Pietta made Colt is the lack of a locking pin in the frame/arbor joint at the rear fof the frame.  I can understand it where the hole would be difficult to drill splitting on the steel arbor and brass frame, but I have seen the lack of the pin on steel framed Piettas as well.

That contributes mightily to developing a loose arbor.  If the threads in the brass get peened from recoil, things loosen up quickly.  Locktite will help cure the situation, but assemble the barrel and wedge to align the arbor while the locktite sets.  (or JB Weld, if you're brave).

The replacement pin is the same part as used to index the barrel to the frame (2), but if you drill out the pin to remove the arbor, it is best to tap the hole and replace the pin with a set screw.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:08:38 AM »

Offline Will Dearborn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Faugh an Ballagh
    • My Place on myspace
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 03:17:36 PM »
*snicker*  I DID JB Weld it, actually.  I use that stuff for most things.  It's my secret weapon.  I blame about thirty farmers I've had to work with over the years.

It has held many a riverboat I piloted together, too.

Thank you for the info.

8 coats on the grips, atm.  I'll post pics tomorrow, most likely. 

Will
                                                -Roland of Gilead
SASS #75873
RATS #359
SBSS #2032
SCORRS
GAF #467

W.T.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 05:25:27 PM »
Lotta folks out here waitin' to see them pictures, Will - bet she's lookin' gooood...

Offline Jubel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 08:16:49 PM »
Will - what the heck is "defarb"? ???

(DEFARB) That means removing all modern marks, names and proof's. Defarbing if done properly, well even old Saml Colt might be fooled. Many reenactors do it for period correctness.
Cousin we been ashooten at each other all day! How about we stop for a beer then we kin go home and get our axes. Or just as good, lets forget this whole dang feud, I'm agetten too old for this anyhow!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com